Scotts extended low entry track #321 09 SS/TC

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Not sure how it can run off of LTFT and STFT since that is based upon the wideband O2? The ECM is telling it an A/F ratio to run and is adjusting the fuel trims based upon actual A/F. There are still other tables within the ECM we don't have access to in HP Tuners to keep it running.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Maybe it's just the wording you used. "Running off of LTFT and STFT" sounds to me like the ECM is using the Fuel Trims to control the fuel. I guess you mean it hasn't been using the Fuel Trims.

Scott #321

I can only assume there are some base tables for it to run as well as it does without any o2 sensor. Definitely rich but decent idle and driveability. Fuel tables I can see in HP tuners are all negative numbers so I just assume it is adding fuel to some unseen baseline.

Scott #321

Purchased a parts as today. Not sure on trans LSD yet but nice wheels, brakes, zzp intercooler and Tia blow off. Looks like full stainless exhaust as well. Too bad in Wichita, ks I have not had much luck selling parts. Looks like i'll get to help another Goblin builder out though.
20220411_160709.jpg
20220411_185333.jpg
20220411_190247.jpg

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Scott, can I ask a favor? Can you get bunch of photos of the hose connections between the engine oil cooler, the thermostat housing, and the heater core connections on the engine? Need as many different angles as you can get, please. There are several of us who would like to get these to help with some hose routing and connection questions. THANKS! :D

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Purchased a parts as today. Not sure on trans LSD yet but nice wheels, brakes, zzp intercooler and Tia blow off. Looks like full stainless exhaust as well. Too bad in Wichita, ks I have not had much luck selling parts. Looks like i'll get to help another Goblin builder out though.View attachment 32255View attachment 32257View attachment 32258
Holy cow!!! That is the first donor I recall seeing that caught fire! Plenty of other smash up damage, but not fire.
I assume someone put it out quickly since the engine bay and tires are all ok.
Welcome to the “boosted “ crowd….. ;)

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Scott, can I ask a favor? Can you get bunch of photos of the hose connections between the engine oil cooler, the thermostat housing, and the heater core connections on the engine? Need as many different angles as you can get, please. There are several of us who would like to get these to help with some hose routing and connection questions. THANKS! :D
Tim is your 08 same as my 09? I can take some pics for you.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Should be the same, since the 08-10s seem to have been pretty stable for parts installed from the GM parts bin. Any pics would be greatly appreciated, by several of us. THANKS! :D

Scott #321

Holy cow!!! That is the first donor I recall seeing that caught fire! Plenty of other smash up damage, but not fire.
I assume someone put it out quickly since the engine bay and tires are all ok.
Welcome to the “boosted “ crowd….. ;)
Lol..not donor worthy as nothing from the interior is salvageable except the pedal box and possibly brake tubes. I bought it for a spare engine to build and possibly a g85 trans but trans looks unlikely to be LSD. Was hoping with all the performance add ons to the outside there would be some in the engine but looks like a stock turbo so unlikely engine internals have been upgraded.

Scott #321

Haven't forgot about this just been busy on some other things and haven't had time to disassemble. I do know that the vac plumbing is changed on top of the intake for the installed BOV.

Scott #321

Been trying to tune using tc tune guides 1 and 2. Wound up with code P0234 over boost on long pulls. I might be a little to aggressive here as HPT is showing 239-240 max kpa (30 psi) at full boost. Running aem meth injection system w/91 octane and not getting a hint of kr. Thing is I am stock on the rods and pistons and concerned about it staying together. Been logging at ambient temps of 70 or lower. I think I'm at the limit of the lower end at this time and will likely have to turn it down when summer sets in.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Hptuners forum says the stock turbo (don’t remember what you are running) doesn’t last long above 23-24psi

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
Probably a good thing I now have a spare engine in the driveway.
Your engine is fine if you weren't knocking. The k04 above 24psi is out of it's efficiency range (and kinda pointless) but it's not impacting the engine much, especially if you're spraying meth at it. I do think the meth is keeping you from knocking at that boost/octane, so be mindful of fluid levels / check valves etc. or you may need the second engine afterall

What lb/min are you flowing at peak?
Do you have the 3bar MAP sensors?
When you go 6758 or larger it's going to be a totally different animal.

Last edited:

Scott #321

Yes Z54. I wanted to go 6758 but no availability. I did make a small adjustment to keep boost under 240 kpa rather than adjust set point of over boost code condition.

Scott #321

Took the Goblin to local county fair this weekend with the wife and discovered a issue. with all the components under the hood on the drivers side I knew there was some radiator heat coming back to the cabin but until my wife rode with me on a 100+ degree day for a 25mile trip I did not realize how much heat actually came through on the passenger side. I have installed a splitter closing the void under the radiator at the front of the car so the air as no where to go but into the cabin. I have already started sealing this off and will update as to how this effects stability as closing the front floor area made a substantial difference I hope this sealing the fire wall off does no result in having to remove the lower splitter.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Welcome to chasing your tail controlling heat. I also added a undertray (splitter) and saw that it funneled the hot air into the cabin. Added a front air blocker above the bulkhead to direct it to the sides. Heat now came up over the side panels to the outside knees. Raised the side panes to block the sides like having a footwell cover and felt the hot tunnel like Lonny had. A rag and duct tape fixed my tunnel (not as fancy as Lonny) and lots of silicone caulk blocking the gaps and now only have the engine heat to contend with.

Joe