Scotts extended low entry track #321 09 SS/TC

Scott #321

Only been able to work on it a little this week but on my way to some modifications I had planned prior to powder coating. Donor had the Hahn cold air intake so I cut it and rewelded including add in a frame tab.
20210813_140322.jpg

Added mounting tabs for larger intercooler and 401FC pump.
20210813_140402.jpg

Here it is w/intercooler and pump in place. Not pictured but it does clear the fuel tank and PDC.
20210813_140658.jpg

Scott #321

Finished making my frame modifications and powercoater is ready for me to drop off in the morning. Going to be a long two weeks waiting. Never thought o would stress so much picking a color. Really liked the look of the shocker yellow but could not duplicate the color of the nearest goblin.
20210826_210253.jpg

Scott #321

I really did not have a problem with corrosion during teardown or with components suffering oxidation cancer with my donor I picked up in Alabama. Interior was a different story as a mixture of soda, coffee, and I assume some form of hardwood floor sealer covered the floor areas. Steering shaft was seized to the point that I almost ended up destroying it to break it free. Just FYI if you drill out the set crimp to separate the halves the splines only allow assembly to go back together in the correct phase. At least the case with my 09 sedan donor.

Scott #321

Exhaust finished and starting rewrap of engine harness. Hoping frame is done power coating by weeks end.
20210908_213156.jpg
20210908_213156.jpg
20210908_213222.jpg

Bummer is the swimming pool I ordered in mid May is being delivered next week. I'm going to have to get it assembled before the weather turns to make sure everything is accounted for or risk being out next spring.

Scott #321

OK finally received frame and components back from powder coat late Friday. Didn't get much time today but did get hoses pulled and floor pan installed. Installed valve cover and started finalizing engine harness rewrap. Used spark plug boot insulators for heat protection but not really excited about the boot insulator look.
20210911_223546.jpg
20210911_223608.jpg
20210911_223644.jpg

Scott #321

Managed to get 8 uninterrupted hour in on the car today. Amazing what you van get accomplished when you actually get time left alone to work. Excuse the mess I just called it a night without cleaning up. Hope I didn't get over zealous and install something I'll have to remove later.
20210912_214703.jpg

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
You'll want to get your coolant lines into your tunnel now, preferably under your harness, before it gets tougher.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Managed to get 8 uninterrupted hour in on the car today. Amazing what you van get accomplished when you actually get time left alone to work. Excuse the mess I just called it a night without cleaning up. Hope I didn't get over zealous and install something I'll have to remove later. View attachment 26774
Does the clutch master cylinder need to be clocked (counter clockwise) to have the hose inlet pointed in more toward the middle of the car? Seems it would interfere with the hood being angled off toward the next lane. :D

Scott #321

Does the clutch master cylinder need to be clocked (counter clockwise) to have the hose inlet pointed in more toward the middle of the car? Seems it would interfere with the hood being angled off toward the next lane. :D
Lol I had to do a double take at the pic and then the car. I guess I snapped the pic prior to completely installing the clutch cyl, good catch.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
Managed to get 8 uninterrupted hour in on the car today. Amazing what you van get accomplished when you actually get time left alone to work. Excuse the mess I just called it a night without cleaning up. Hope I didn't get over zealous and install something I'll have to remove later. View attachment 26774
Going to have to cut a big hole in the hood if you are keeping the brake reservoir in the stock location.....

Scott #321

Lol just there to keep debris out for nowno progress today but I did get the engine and PDC in last night and began cleaning up the wiring.
20210915_210338.jpg
20210915_210359.jpg

Scott #321

Ok, I find this highly questionable. These or the DF supplied tie rod ends moved to the front per other duild logs. Both sides are identical and the tie rod does not penatrate far enough for the supplied cotter pin to be inserted. Even these tiny ones installed had to be bent to go through???? These are not powder coated or painted so no debris is stopping them from seating. What am I missing here?

Attachments

MJP61

Double check that you put the tie rod into that piece the correct way. Try turning it around. The tie rod only fits all the way in one way.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
There should have been two nyloc nuts supplied with the rod ends to replace the castle nuts.
If you did not receive them let DF support know and we will send you a set.

Scott #321

Thanks Lonny I'm sure I probably have them. Every time I think I'm missing something there it is, right where it's suppose to be.

Scott #321

20210918_160507.jpg
20210918_164535.jpg
20210918_160507.jpg
20210918_164535.jpg
Update 8 days since I picked up the frame from the powder coater and she runs. After letting the coolant fan cycle a few times to make sure no air pockets were present I performed a BG products intake cleaning for direct injection vehicles. Did not dissemble before or after but she burped out a lot of soot and smoke during the process.

Scott #321

Now the bad news. Running the car without the charge air pipe connected to the turbo or the intake I found myself getting covered with small oil droplets from the turbo. Bummer.... Zzp has been out of the Z54 for months and I really don't want to spring for the ZFR. Anyone got a good used k04 they want to part with?
20210918_155826.jpg
20210918_162656.jpg

On a positive note I changed my tires from R888r to NT01 and should have them by next weekend.