Seat Back Brace

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Has anyone installed any sort of seat back brace in their Goblin? I was looking to install something like the Autopower or I/O Port adjustable brace, but am concerned about interference with the brackets that are welded to the harness bar. I've also been thinking of building a solution that would bolt to the brackets, but am continually drawn back to the clamp on designs mentioned above.

Dre

That looks like a clamp on feature. Can't you just use it without welding it on? Just in case you want to possibly remove it in the future?

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
If I remember correctly, the pictured example is the Autopower adjustable brace. So far, I have not heard back from the manufacturer or any retailers about the clamp thickness. There's a little more than .30" between my harness bar and the brackets.

Dre, the concern is whether or not the clamp for the brace will have an interference with the brackets that are welded to the harness bar as received.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
If I remember correctly, the pictured example is the Autopower adjustable brace. So far, I have not heard back from the manufacturer or any retailers about the clamp thickness. There's a little more than .30" between my harness bar and the brackets.
The AutoPower collar for clamping to the cage tube is probably a standard steel collar.
The O.D. for the 1.5 in. collar is 2 3/8 or 2 1/2.
If they use the 2 3/8 OD collar, then the thickness should be about .3125. Might fit snugly between the bar and bracket. Otherwise a little massaging might be needed.
I think I might go the route of the Autopower version.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Fitment may differ due to inherent variability in the manufacturing process, but it looks like I've got .3125" between the bracket and harness bar. Grinding an eighth of an inch affected the aft portion of the clamp should have it sorted. The firewall may require some slight trimming around the brace as well.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
I haven't purchased the Autopower seat back brace yet to try and install.
So far when autocrossing the seat does not move or flex at all when watching the video.
It will be something I'll be adding though in the future. Still like the idea of another seat attachment point.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
I have a couple of the Competition Engineering clamp on adjustable seat back braces that I didn't use (because I don't change my seat position) if someone wanted to give that method a try.

I ended up using modified Kirkey seat back braces instead and that's worked out well so far.