Seat selection

TomsGarage

I would recommend the Corbeau FX1 Pro seats from Adam. He has secured volume pricing (two would be cheaper than the ones you linked) and the seats are solid. Because there is no real crumble zone, it is very important that you use strong, tested seats. I've personally never heard of that company.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Ah those do look nice, Any idea what the pricing runs on those with volume pricing? I guess that the fixed position seats are preferred over the adjustable back due to strength?

Thanks,
Nuker-

TomsGarage

Ah those do look nice, Any idea what the pricing runs on those with volume pricing? I guess that the fixed position seats are preferred over the adjustable back due to strength?

Thanks,
Nuker-
This is what I was told back in December, but the pricing might be different now:

Corbeau FX1 Pro

Composite lightweight construction - weighs only 19 lbs.

Tested in Prototype 2. Seats fit the car and feel great.

Available in black or red cloth

Retail Price

Package Price

$329

$295

5 Point 3” Harness with Camlock

Belts are SFI 16.1 approved

Quick release camlock dial design

Available in black, red or silver

Retail Price

Package Price

$149

$125

DF Kit Car Race Seat Brackets

Confirmed to fit the Corbeau FX1 Pro seats

Seats mount as low as possible for lower CG and increased head room.

Retail Price

Package Price

$175

$50

Total Price

$1131

$890

smithvmi

FIA Approved seats would probably be a good idea. Maybe it's not as big an issue as some think. I see mixed info online.
Unless you are competing an FIA seat is not that big of a deal. Most HPDE track days are more concerned with restraints and cages. For example, PCA only stipulates that instructor and driver have the same seat and belt arrangements, but I don't think the seat needs to be FIA. nobody at my PCA HPDEs checked my sparco seat for FIA.

If you want to spend the money you will get a quality seat. I know corbeau has FIA approved seats, and they are well priced. maybe Adam can get volume pricing on those if enough of us express interest.

rallyracer

I think the seats are included in the delivery stage 2 price.

Now if we wanted to run with a different steering wheel or seats, I'd think we could adjust the pricing.

rallyracer

Ah, Now that is great. I was wondering.

Nuker-
Well from what it says, I'd think so.

It also says front brakes, which I thought were being used from rear of our donor Cobalt. So that's confusing too.

Delivery Stage 2
"$3,350
You will receive: front suspension with coilovers, control arms, and knuckles, steering wheel and quick release, front brakes and everything else to get driving."

Last edited:

smithvmi

That's assuming you use donor seats, you aren't getting two seats and two harnesses with the stage two parts. From earlier conversations with Adam the seats and harnesses are an additional accessory package.

You are getting separate disc brakes for the front axle of the goblin. Your cobalt donor front disc brakes go on the rear of the goblin. At least that is the case with non SS donors, because of the standard rear drum brakes on the donors.

Last edited:

TomsGarage

Unless you are competing an FIA seat is not that big of a deal. Most HPDE track days are more concerned with restraints and cages. For example, PCA only stipulates that instructor and driver have the same seat and belt arrangements, but I don't think the seat needs to be FIA. nobody at my PCA HPDEs checked my sparco seat for FIA.

If you want to spend the money you will get a quality seat. I know corbeau has FIA approved seats, and they are well priced. maybe Adam can get volume pricing on those if enough of us express interest.
I talked to Adam and he said he could get the Forza Sports (FIA approved) for $1 cheaper than the FX1. However, in my research I found that these are steel framed seats and not as comfortable as the FX1. With the FX1 there is also the option to go with microsuede/leather instead of cloth/leatherette which will withstand sun fading and will wear better, for $50 more per seat.

TomsGarage

That's assuming you use donor seats, you aren't getting two seats and two harnesses with the stage two parts. From earlier conversations with Adam the seats and harnesses are an additional accessory package.

You are getting separate disc brakes for the front axle of the goblin. Your cobalt donor front disc brakes go on the rear of the goblin. At least that is the case with non SS donors, because of the standard rear drum brakes on the donors.
Right, stage two includes a second set of front brakes for the rear. Even if your donor has 4 wheel disc brakes, they mount differently than the fronts, which the car was designed around.

rallyracer

Right, stage two includes a second set of front brakes for the rear. Even if your donor has 4 wheel disc brakes, they mount differently than the fronts, which the car was designed around.
So to clarify, the goblin will run the non Brembo, Cobalt SS *front* brakes at all for corners?

Where do we find the fine details on this? I thought somewhere it said that the Cobalt SS rear brakes get moved to the front.

smithvmi

From an email chain with Adam around the end of March. I was looking at SS donors at the time, so this info is for SS donors.

-------------
""We aren't going to use the big brakes on any of our cars and don't recommend them on everyone else's cars. Since they are designed to stop a fully loaded Cobalt SS at a track, they are overkill for the Goblin. On the original P1 and P2, we use the stock rotors all the way around but when we rebuilt P1, we decided to use a rotor in between stock and SS on the front of the Goblin. We really like how it balanced out the braking front to rear.

So instead of supplying base model rotors (10.08 inch diameter) with the kit for the front of the car, we are supplying the smallest 5 bolt front rotor (11.02 inch diameter). It uses the same caliper but it is mounted further from center, increasing front brake force a little bit.

On the rear you will use stock Cobalt 10.08 rotors. With 11 on the front and 10 on the rear, you end up with a great balance without a bias adjuster. Since you don't have stock brakes to put on the rear, they will have to be purchased (you can get them cheapest from RockAuto.com: http://www.rockauto.com/xx/cart/?cartid=0df4030809368b14ef9ae7eb7f6c79e0.

We didn't make this very clear on the website because we've been figuring out the SS stuff as we went. Now that we've figure out that extra calipers have to be purchased, custom shifter cable mounts have to be fabricated and other changes must be made, we've raised the price of the kit when using SS donors (you can see this change on our site).

On the SS cars, we are recommending the wheel bolt pattern be changed to 5x114 so that finding wheels is possible. We can redrill your rotors and change the studs in your hubs (you'll have to send your hubs to us).""
------------

Hope that info helps and is still correct.