Security Light

chief404

2006 LSJ Donor. Trying to attempt a first start or at least get the fuel pump primed. I hear a click from the BCM when turning the key to the on/ready/prime position. Console displays a security light. At first attempt, I didn't even have the light come on and rechecked all my grounds. Starter has the extended wire + purple wire setup correctly. I can get 12v to the fuse block. I have a few connectors not connected in the rear, the radiator fan, a purple plug and the coolant overflow tank sensor. All grounds up front go to the steering box ground since the tunnel ground did not have a good connection, thinking of just running the extended tunnel ground directly to the battery ground post. Two grounds in the rear, which I believe is fuse block + harness. Looking for some advice on troubleshooting further.

Attachments

chief404

There are 3 purple plugs that need to be correcly connected.
Does your OBDII port work, and allow you to pull the codes?
I was missing the purple plug that goes under the throttle body. Still have the security light and my OBD2 does not seem to work/getting power. I assume this is because of the lock out and hopefully not a wiring issue with the obd2

chief404

Looks like my routing was messed up, one of the connectors had the wrong color wires with the other 7 pin purple plug which is now fixed(power to engine). But now the purple 7 wire plug that goes to the coil pack doesn't have the same color wires...the throttle plug is the correct 8 wire plug.

I will check the OBDII port and check back in.

Attachments

chief404

I doubt it is the lock out... the OBDII port should work.
Do some electrical checking at the OBDII port.
Do you have AC voltage from pin 1 to ground, when the key is turned on?
no
Do you have AC voltage from pin 2 to ground, when the key is turned on?
no
Do you have 12V from pin 4 to pin 16?
no
Do you have 12V from pin 5 to pin 16?
no
Do you have AC voltage from pin 6 to pin 14, when the key is turned on?
yes

Ross

Goblin Guru
I added this to my Purple Plug post. Is this the color of wires that you have going to throttle body plug?
The coil pack should have the same color wires in and out of the 8 pin connector.

Ross

Goblin Guru
The coil pack connector, top row has: no wire, black, light blue with a white stripe, green with white stripe.
next row has: blue with white stripe, brown with white stripe, purple, pink with white stripe.

chief404

The coil pack connector, top row has: no wire, black, light blue with a white stripe, green with white stripe.
next row has: blue with white stripe, brown with white stripe, purple, pink with white stripe.

That connector is connected to the coil pack via this purple connecter. The wires look different; black/white, blue/white, light green/white one side then red/black, brown/white and blue/white.

Attachments

Ross

Goblin Guru
Those are the right wires. My red wire has faded to pink, you missed the purple wire, but otherwise we agree that is the coil pack connector.
I updated this post with all the wire colors.

So now that all 3 of those purple connectors are in the right spots...
Your OBDII port is still an issue.
1. Do you have AC voltage from pin 1 to ground, when the key is turned on?
no
2. Do you have AC voltage from pin 2 to ground, when the key is turned on?
no
3. Do you have 12V from pin 4 to pin 16?
no
4. Do you have 12V from pin 5 to pin 16?
no
5. Do you have AC voltage from pin 6 to pin 14, when the key is turned on?
yes
1. No GM Low speed LAN data. There are 4 dark green wires that get connected together. Instrument cluster, BCM, PCM, OBDII port.
2. This is an LSJ only wire, it goes to the PCM.
3. No Power This post mentions that the OBDII port uses cigarette lighter fuse. Do you have a good fuse in it? I think it is the 15A fuse labelled "LIGHTER" in the Fuse box. It also might be the ground that isn't working.
4. No power to this ground either... probably the power wire.
5. Your GM High speed LAN is working!

Last edited:

chief404

Those are the right wires. My red wire has faded to pink, you missed the purple wire, but otherwise we agree that is the coil pack connector.

1. No GM Low speed LAN data. There are 4 dark green wires that get connected together. Instrument cluster, BCM, PCM, OBDII port.
3. No Power This post mentions that the OBDII port uses cigarette lighter fuse. Do you have a good fuse in it? I think it is the 15A fuse labelled "LIGHTER" in the Fuse box. It also might be the ground that isn't working.
I verified ground is working OK, also checked the fuse and it looks good. Going to track down the low speed LAN and power wire.

chief404

What is the best way to test this? I know the fuse is good, so I would use a multimeter to verify that no voltage is on the fuse pin(I would use the red multimeter pin on one side of the fuse pin, black on the other)? If that is a yes, then I could test continuity between D5 on the fuse block and pin 16 on the obd2 to verify the connection is good.

Ross

Goblin Guru
To test the fuse pin, put your meter on DC voltage,
put the black probe on a ground post, bare engine, or bare frame somewhere,
put the red probe on the fuse, or fuse pin if you have the fuse out, and one of the 2 pins should read 12V (if the key is on). The other fuse pin should be a direct connection to your OBDII port, pin 16.

chief404

Update: While testing the pin, I saw 12vs on the fuse block side. I only saw like .05V on the obdII. I then started messing with the rear fuse block and heard the fuse pump come on. It may just be some loose wires causing the issue. I ran the pump dry so I'm going to fill her up with gas and check everything over.

edit: After reseating the fuse block, the dash and obdII seem to be working. The fuel pump didn't prime going to pull codes.

Last edited:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
You may have a loose connection for the individual wire for the fuel pump. That’s been a problem on mine several times for different circuits.

chief404

Yeah now the dash is lighting up completely. Just seems like I have some loose wires and have to go through everything a little more thoroughly.