Shadow Lou Racing, street,track,autocross Goblin

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
This little black 1966 Ford came in for service today.
Brad
Holy Moly!!!!!!!!
You cannot just leave us hanging like that. Did you get to drive it? Ride in it?
Who owns a vehicle like that and does not do the service them self?
What "service" did you do to it?
More pics?

George

Goblin Guru
I am sure it is faster than my Goblin. Most likely will not drive it (not flexible enough anymore). Just doing fluids and check over for a track weekend. The people that own cars like this spend their timing making money to have a stable of cars.
Brad

George

Goblin Guru
The foreward and back shift cable locked up making it non shiftable. The cause was heat from the muffler melted the inner liner. The reason it got that hot was I installed the engine cover, rear 12x36 spoiler and the lower air shield. All upset the flow of air.
When the cable is reinstalled will add a heat shield on the shift cables.
Brad

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
The foreward and back shift cable locked up making it non shiftable. The cause was heat from the muffler melted the inner liner. The reason it got that hot was I installed the engine cover, rear 12x36 spoiler and the lower air shield. All upset the flow of air.
When the cable is reinstalled will add a heat shield on the shift cables.
Brad
In the back of my mind that was of concern with the shifter cables. Sorry I didn't share that thought and you ended up verifying it.

George

Goblin Guru
Got to drive Goblin today. Shifter is 100% better that it has been for over year. Will see how long it stays that way with the heat shield. I would suggest any one building a new car put covering on the shift cables. and any one who seems to feel their shifter is stiff get new cables and cover them.

Brad

George

Goblin Guru
Got to drive Goblin today. Shifter is 100% better that it has been for over year. Will see how long it stays that way with the heat shield. I would suggest any one building a new car put covering on the shift cables. and any one who seems to feel their shifter is stiff get new cables and cover them.

Brad
The more I think about it the cable may have been damaged the first dyno tune when car was first assembled

Brad

George

Goblin Guru
Melted another shift cable so going to remove rear lower air shield for now and replace cables. May do something different
over the winter.

Brad

Attachments

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Melted another shift cable so going to remove rear lower air shield for now and replace cables. May do something different
over the winter.

Brad
Curious, what brand and size shielding had you used? Maybe needing a thicker material? Like what's used for fluid lines, adding a reflective heat shield covering over it?

Last edited:

George

Goblin Guru
I used some for lines and spark plug wires. the lack of air flow may be the issue. Over the winter going to make a stainless steel heat shield lined with heater wrap for the muffler that is next to the cable and add and air dust to supply air to the cable before reinstalling lower pan.

Brad

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Dear Goblin Family,

With regret I wanted to let you all know that I was informed last night that Brad has passed. It was such a pleasure knowing this man for the last few years. The knowledge that he imparted in me was huge. He has probably forgotten more than I know about cars.

I'll never forget the first time I met him, Not even knowing me he throws me the keys to his Goblin and tells me to go take it out for a while and let me know what you think. That was the start of our far too short friendship. Every time I posted about a problem with my Goblin he would be calling with ideas, Always starting with "Tell me if I'm bothering you" Of course I always welcomed those ideas! Sometimes when thoughts would pop into his head he would call several times an evening when he wanted me to try this or that. I will really miss those conversations at his shop.

Jordan

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
That is very sad news. He was very instrumental in helping us with our build. Long before we started on the car, I visited him at his shop one evening after work while I was in town on business. He was very welcoming and enjoyed sharing his knowledge and stories. He helped me feel more comfortable about the build. He also joined us on the Arkansas trip a couple of years ago. He will be sadly missed. He was a very dear part of the community.