Shadow Lou Racing, street,track,autocross Goblin

George

Goblin Guru
Autocrossed the weekend, car was great still just a little loos under power coming out of the turn. Working on a cure.
I drove very poorly my best time was 60sec, the driver for this year way 46 sec and let another guy drive his best was 42 sec. A F mod turned the best time at 37 sec.

Brad

George

Goblin Guru
Check my unsprung weight to day. Disconnected front shocks at control arm, removed rear spring.
Front weighted 125# each side the rear 232# each. On the front have wilwood calipers 4# with pads, fenders were in stalled but no shock, tires 205/55/16 on Einke wheels (RF1?). rear has fenders and The Driveshaft Shop racing axles (very
heavy) and Wilwood brakes, 245/45/16 tires . The chassis was supported and the tires set on the scale. Do not know if this is the correct way to measure unsprung weight or not.

George

Goblin Guru
Redid my front sway bar for better wheel clearance, Shortened bar and made off set arms. Need to do a little work on brake line clearance. The bar is 3/4", 43" active length with arm length settings of 6", 5", 4". This gives me a WHEEL rate of 172# per inch of wheel travel at the 6" setting. 247# for 5" and 383# for the 4" setting. Last year I ran about 150# per inch setting this year will start with 247#. The front springs are 500# to keep it from bottoming out on hard braking with autocross tires.
Also redid the rear suspension. removed the extended length rear uprights that I had made for better camber gain at
a lower ride height. Installed stock ones keep the ride height but lost camber gain. This will give me a lower roll center that may help transfer more weight to the outside rear tire when cornering. With the heavy sway bar it may lift the inside front tire off the ground so may have to increase rear wheel rate to balance the car out.

Brad

Attachments

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Brad,
No contact with inside of the rim at steering lock? No interference with the bottom of the shock or spring at full droop of the suspension? I noticed the swaybar is moved lower than it was before (I think from earlier photos?) to below the centerline between the upper and lower control arms - does this make a difference in performance? The bracket mounting plates look pretty stout, are they 1/4 inch aluminum plate? I have been trying to keep track of everyone's suspension setup and interested how swaybars have been helping (or not) with suspension performance. Keep the info coming, please! :)

George

Goblin Guru
No contact with wheel rim now.,, car has 16" wheel with 18,s it would have cleared. And no other contact other than brake hoses. The plate is 1/2: 3/8 should be enough.
The bar height has not changed. Earlier in this winter had move the bar behind plate to clear the rim but it did not work out.

Brad

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
"Come on Coach, put me in, put me in". I can't wait to be at this stage. I know I'm aclueistic, and I understand what you're doing to the car, buy barely understand what, how or why these changes do what they do. Keep posting. Thanks.

George

Goblin Guru
The current ride heigth is 5" but with autocross tires it's about 4"..
I may have on my first bar will redo later to day.

Brad

George

Goblin Guru
On making of my front sway bar. The mounting plates are mounted to the upper and lower control arm mounts. Had to use spacer washers between place and heim to clear control arms.The plate is 1/2" aluminum. I wanted to attach the bar to one of the control arms as far to the outside of the control arm as possible to keep form bending the control arm. Since the bar is 3/4" it needed support at the outer end, to keep bar from flexing. The tube the bar sets in is 1.25" tubing with bronze bushings on the outer ends. Used bronze because the arms are welded to the bar, plastic would have mented. The arm are 3/8" hot rolled 1.5" wide and bent to clear the the springs with adjustment holes 1" apart. The upper arm attachments of 1.2 X 0.125 plate with three adjustment holes 1" apart. The links are 3/8" heim with aluminum adjustment links.

Brad

George

Goblin Guru
SCCA Solo posted a event calendar for 2020. The Test and tune is on Saturday April 4th with Event 1 on the 5th.
I any of you want to come we can work together to dial in the cars. I have a few different spring setup for front and rear with coil overs. The course if at the Metropolitan Community College drive academy. It is mostly used to train police.
There are no ditches if you get off track.

Brad

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
When my Goblin fuel tank gets down to 4 gallons and making a hard sweeping left turn the car starves for fuel.
So I am adding a prepump to keep the fuel pickup canister full. Now to install and test

Nrad
With the pump on the driver side, it makes sense you would see it in a left hand sweep.

Airplanes setup for acrobatics use a"flop tube" so they can suck fuel inverted from the top of the tank. Probably not a simple solution like that for us here.

I guess having a long skinny tank mounted transversely like we do in the Goblin is not the ideal shape for this acceleration case.

I assume the prepump has enough capacity within it and the feed hoses to get the engine through the momentary starved condition. Did that affect your choice of hose length?
Or, your choice of position in the tank?

I would love to hear how this addresses the problem for you, George.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Our 2005 mr2 did that if we ran it under 1/2 a tank right after a hard long sweeper it almost felt like it was going into limp mode.

How are you going to mount it? Is it going into the same hole as the fuel pump and pushed over to the right side of the tank ?

George

Goblin Guru
The pump should have enough to keep the canister overflowing as long as the pickup has fuel. the pump will only be moving volume so it should keep it has on other cars it has been used on. The tube length and size should work for what it needs to do.
The pump plate will set on the floor of the tank. Will slide it to the far right and use a 35# magnet on the outside to hold it in place.

Brad

Dale E

Have added some Air Wings to the windscreen to block air flow into the passenger compartment or add air flow

Brad
George, I have a small catch can/surge tank if you would like that I can bring to the Arkansas meeting. Would this hold enough fuel to get you around the turns.
IMG_3287.jpg

Attachments