Shadow Lou Racing, street,track,autocross Goblin

DanPerryy

So in both cases, the axle popped out with the suspension bottomed out. From the picture the axle looks level without a load, so as the suspension collapses the axle needs to grow. I wonder if you can reduce the rear track width by remaking a new adapter that moves the rear hub inward the 1/2 inch on each side. I think you will either need a bit longer axle or reduce the track width. The track width can then be re-extended with wheel spacers.

George

Goblin Guru
Will be contacting Driveshaft Services to see lead time to make stage 2 axle for the left that is 0.400" longer. As will get the right axle stage 2 for the right. A spacer can be made b to move the engine,transmission to the left to make it be centered, left and center mounts will need to be modified and then make a 0.100 spacer for each outer cv joint.

Brad

George

Goblin Guru
Put the windscreen as delivered and found the windscreen was at a 90 angle to horizontal. Since I had drilled the mountil holes. The tabs were bent 60 degrees from the horizontal. I feel the tabs need to be 25 to 30 degrees from the horizontal. If the center is at 30 degrees then the outer most tabs a 20 to 25 and the other two about half way between the center and outer. Modify
As needed to make it lay flat.
When I installed drilled the center hole 3.5 inches from rear edge the pulled the outers back to the edge of the body.

Currently at 70 degrees

Brad

Attachments

Last edited:

George

Goblin Guru
Worked with HP Tuners on 2007 Cobalt SS SC. The throttle scale air flow to help with idle surge is set to 295.000. Next reprogrammed tire size for speedo correction was not able to test as my radar detector did not work. Next in the torque control reduce torque below 2000rpm to help with surging at small throttle angles. This is better but need to do more refinement.
Still learning and may not be doing it correctly.

Brad

George

Goblin Guru
Air flow. After driving around the city interstates today (82F) I have need to make some changes to the windscreen and air flow from the radiator. First need to make a front firewall above the front panel to fill up to hood. Next the windshield needs to be sloped more to the back. Currently at 70degrees need to be at 55degrees byt would have to repair the hood. The air is being pushed up 12" above my head and creating a back draft drawing heat from the engine
into the seating area, also the air flow over my heat exchanger is back words so I will shorten the windscreen by 3" to start with.

Brad

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
It would be more work, but you could cut the center of the windscreen lower, letting the air flowing from the center of the hood, more or leass straight through the center of the passenger compartment, to the HE and rearward.
This is a crude representation, but what I could manage on my phone.
_180608_134631_599._1.jpg

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Here is a couple youtube links to a Caterham aerodynamics simulations. The Goblin should be fairly similar up to the rear roll hoop. The Caterham has that tonneau cover like rear cargo area that somewhat helps smooth out the airflow some.

Last edited:

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Cut 3 1/2" off top of windscreen. No more heat coming from engine compartment. Can put my hand on front cage bar and get fresh air.

Brad
Where does that leave the top of the windshield in relation to your face? I’m just about to cut one for my hood and trying to decide on height. Currently I have it no higher than my forehead.

George

Goblin Guru
It will not stop bugs and rocks from my face. With the after market seats I could paint the windscreen and see the road fine. May be even with my lower jaw. Have apart working on front firewall(air blocker) when back together will post picture with me in the car.

Brad

George

Goblin Guru
Air flow blocker is complete and install and test driven. This created a new problem. With out the air coming from the radiator the windscreen is now too short. The wind is hitting right in my face. Still no backdraft from the engine . Will have to get a new screen and start over.

Brad

Attachments

George

Goblin Guru
Polyethylene foam plank Got it off amazon. It is for gun case. Does not absorb water and is ridged. I still have the cardboard pattern.

Brad

George

Goblin Guru
Ran another autocross today.I am still not a good driver. The rear suspension work correctly. The issues to work on brakes and front suspension. The brakes are too sensitive so planning to disconnect vacuum line to brake booster and test. On front suspension need to fix bump steer, car is dart when braking hard and turning. Also with body roll reduced may need to reduce caster to keep tire in better contact with the road.

Brad

George

Goblin Guru
Disconnected brake booster vacuum line and test drove. Not enough braking power. Ordered a 7to 1 ration brake pedal assemble to adapt and install next week end.

Brad

JSATX

Goblin Guru
This is something I would like to explore as well. I don’t particularly like the squishy feel of the factory booster but know it would require a different master cylinder setup to go to manual brakes. Please keep us updated.