Shift Cable & E-Brake - Photos

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Anyone got photos of the shift cables going around or under the e-brake handle? I searched but couldn't find it, everything just shows the e-brake by itself.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I'm assuming you're using the Cobalt shifter? I don't think I have a fully installed pic, but for the year before I installed the DF shifter, I ran the shifter cables under the parking brake handle. Not sure if things have changed, but I had to drill the tunnel cap for the parking brake handle mounting bolts. A spacer went between the top of the tunnel cap and the bottom of the parking brake mounting plate. It was a pain in the royal behind to run a bolt from the top of the mounting plate, through a spacer, and then thread a nut under the tunnel cap. At least one of the bolts had to be secured nearly in place in order to capture the shifter cables between the left and right side bolts. It would've been easier to thread the bolts up from the bottom and lock them in place with a nut on top of the tunnel cap, but I was too stubborn to go out and get longer hardware.

On other other hand, if all tunnel caps are drilled and welded for captive nuts on the bottom side, putting spacers in under the parking brake mounting plate should be a breeze. I think running them under the parking brake mounting plate allows for a straighter shot with fewer bends for less resistance in the cable and protects them from running on the rear firewall.

To get back to the original question, no, I don't have a picture of it installed, but I hope my wall of words helps to clarify things more than hurt.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I had to drill mine out as well. I feel you on the installing the e-brake handle as it was a little bit of a pain.

I didn't think the shift cable would fit under the e-brake, so I wanted to see how others routed them. Thanks all, I have a good idea what to do now.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Y'all did it the hard way. I had to drill my tunnel cap to mount the handbrake lever too, but I just oversized the holes and installed rivnuts in the tunnel cap instead of trying to put nuts on the backside of what is a blind fastener application unless the tunnel cap is removed.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
The REAL easy way is to order the DF shifter kit which includes captive nuts for the parking brake mounting plate and routes the shifter cables down into the tunnel! Although it's probably even easier still to build your car with that shifter setup the first time around, rather than installing and uninstalling the original Cobalt shifter and parking brake setup and then installing the DF shifter...

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
The REAL easy way is to order the DF shifter kit which includes captive nuts for the parking brake mounting plate and routes the shifter cables down into the tunnel! Although it's probably even easier still to build your car with that shifter setup the first time around, rather than installing and uninstalling the original Cobalt shifter and parking brake setup and then installing the DF shifter...
^ This ^

I ordered the DF shifter when I ordered my kit so I don't know the pain of installing the Cobalt shifter. The DF shifter was pretty straightforward and didn't cause any issues.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
That's an overall harder way if your build is based on a donor with an automatic transmission