Shifter Cable Mount

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
It appears as if I'm missing some kind of bracket here? Whatever goes there, I definitely don't have it anymore. Any idea where I can find one?
20180727_190448.jpg

Here's a pic from Rich's build:

20180114_161526.jpg

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I have a DF supplied bracket. It looks like their bracket bolts to some sort of factory bracket??? I can't really tell.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
The bracket I have from DF looks like this. I don't understand how it mounts without something sitting in the middle.

20180112_091137.jpg

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I see it now. It looks like you can just see a little of the bolt sticking out in that picture of Rich's car

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Phew. That took some research. Anyways, I'm almost positive that my bracket went to the scrapyard with the shell. Thinking back, I don't remember removing my shifter cables from it.

Anyways, if anybody else has lost this bracket, the GM part number is 55563732. It's like $19 with $20 shipping. :(

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I might actually have my original one, I replaced it not knowing it was fine. I'll dig around today.

Nuker-

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Does everyone's left/right shifter push rod mount like this? The reason I ask is that I don't have anything that looks like that. I have a white piece of plastic that slides onto that stub. From there I can get a ball socket to go over it, but I'm not 100% sure that's the right way. It doesn't feel real secure, but I think it will work.

BTW, thank you Waterdriver for being my camera man. :)

1528164183671199615429556175174.jpg

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Yes. You will not re-use any of the OEM links. Your kit should come with all of the ball joints tonuse as links. By the way, the bell crank should be mounted the other way than the photo. They should be a mirror of each other and look like a “Y”.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
So yours also clips over the white plastic piece using a ball joint like the ones on the bell cranks?
Not sure what you mean by "the white plastic piece". Here is the best picture I have right now of my shifter, it's not much different than the picture you posted.

The one circled in the previous picture is a heim joint, not a ball/socket joint. It does just slip over the shaft and then has an e-clip to hold it on the shaft I believe.

1532833747208.png

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Not sure what you mean by "the white plastic piece". Here is the best picture I have right now of my shifter, it's not much different than the picture you posted.

The one circled in the previous picture is a heim joint, not a ball/socket joint. It does just slip over the shaft and then has an e-clip to hold it on the shaft I believe.

View attachment 4668
I might have to switch mine around. Seems to shift fine at this time.
Any reason why the cable end ball studs on the bellcranks are mounted in the different holes? From the picture it looks like one is installed at the long throw position and one short throw.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I might have to switch mine around. Seems to shift fine at this time.
Any reason why the cable end ball studs on the bellcranks are mounted in the different holes? From the picture it looks like one is installed at the long throw position and one short throw.
I have an aftermarket shifter and the big square base limits the amount of side-side movement and I had to use the lower position to give it more cable movement with the lesser amount of shifter side-side movement. With a normal shifter you won't have to do that. I makes the gears on mine really close together.

1532863800924.png

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I think Adam/Lonny might have to chime in. Based on what they sent me (no heim joint included), I think this is the only way it can go together. The white sleeve can be removed, and the stub looks just like what you posted.

I think this would work, but I feel like it's going to pop off. It just doesn't hold as tightly as an actual metal ball joint like the other side of the shifter uses. And with the heim joint like what you have, there is no way in the world it can pop off because there is a retainer clip.

I'm really confused though. I don't know if I was sent the wrong parts, if this is an SS/TC thing only, DF started changing the way it hooks up, or if this is indeed the correct way.

20180729_065142.jpg
20180729_065225.jpg

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
It looks like the heim joint you have is missing the inner bearing. You can see the grove for the balls but there aren't any, it's missing the balls and inner race. The white sleeve does come off. There are clips in the groove of the shaft. You will have to bend or pry out each of the plastic clips in the groove that are preventing it from coming off. Then the heim joint slides on and is held in place with an e-clip.

Don't try to use the ball/socket joint, that will pop off on you.

Contact Lonny or Adam to see if you can get another one. Otherwise you can order them on eBay or Amazon for next to nothing if you know the exact size (shaft size and threads).

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
We have changed how we attach the shift rods to the shifter. We now reuse the plastic links that originally snapped to the end of the shift cables.
I will get you some images when I get to the shop.