Shifter Cable Mount

askiles

Goblin Guru
Looks like the hardware supplied doesn’t have enough left hand thread nuts, so you’re supposed to use these small collars which butt up against the flats in the middle of the turnbuckle rod.

View attachment 8777

I have my bellcrank pieces facing the same direction because the rods then line up perfectly in the shifter plastic. I know some people are cutting off the front of the shifter assembly. Should I follow suit or leave them like this?
Those collars slip into the black plastic shifter pieces. They help strengthen up that area so you can tighten down the LH thread nuts nice and tight without breaking or warping the plastic. So put it on the other side of the washer, and make it disappear inside the hole.

ZacMaster

Then I'm missing some left-handed nuts. Lonny, can you confirm I was supposed to get some left-handed nuts in the shifter hardware bag?

askiles

Goblin Guru
Then I'm missing some left-handed nuts. Lonny, can you confirm I was supposed to get some left-handed nuts in the shifter hardware bag?
Yep, sounds like it. You should have received (4). You could probably source them at your local hardware store.

askiles

Goblin Guru
Does this one work for an LNF? I need to replace mine, accidentally scrapped it. I didn't see an LNF specific one on ZZP.
I have a feeling they sell the upper portion of the bracket (the part that DF replaces) and you need the lower portion of it (the part that bolts to the transmission). Give ZZP a call and ask. If it is both parts, then you can throw away the upper and just use the lower.

aaronbuley

We have changed how we attach the shift rods to the shifter. We now reuse the plastic links that originally snapped to the end of the shift cables.
I will get you some images when I get to the shop.
I’m stuck. How are y’all getting these to attach? The donor ones were bigger.

Attachments

Ross

Goblin Guru
Take off the white and gray plastic clips, use a nut on both sides of the inner plastic piece.
There are some pictures of Lonny's car's shifter here somewhere.

askiles

Goblin Guru
Also note that those are left hand threads, so you are not going crazy if you are trying to thread the nuts on right handed and they won’t go. Lol. The end that goes into the shifter connector piece anyways.

Oldchevyguy

Just talked to Lonny, and it sounds like their hardware vendor messed up and I got the wrong parts. They are all supposed to be right hand thread for anyone else that has this issue.
Mine are all right hand threaded. One end of each threaded rod is left hand thread. I think I need to left hand thread rod ends (?)

Oldchevyguy

Mine are all right hand threaded. One end of each threaded rod is left hand thread. I think I need to left hand thread rod ends (?)
As said elsewhere, I figured out that I didn't need lefthand rod ends. You reuse the plastic ends under the shifter. Take off the white plastic lock, the push button, and spring, and discard them. On the end of the new rods that are left hand threaded, install LH jam nuts, washers, and spacers. Insert in plastic rod end. This is where the magic begins! Insert a washer and a LF NUT (not a right hand nut! Dont ask!) Inside that little square hole and thread in (backwards) the rod. This is very difficult!! Lots of Patience and swear words are needed. When you have completed both rods, take a break, have a adult beverage. YOU DID GOOD!

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
Keeping this thread alive. I was determined to get the OTTP clamps work with the Goblin setup. The reason the DF rod doesn't work with the OTTP clamps is the DF supplied LH rod diameter is too small compared to the stock plastic end, it's not even close unfortunately. There are many ways to skin this cat, but the route I chose was to cut the stock rod and cut the DF rod and melt them together. The shifter feel after is so short and crisp I thought there was something wrong at first. I also like this solution as there is the same adjustability, just much less fiddly. Here are some pics

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
once you know you have things adjusted, you may want to put a little blue loctite on the nuts. I had one come loose after a few hours of driving.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
You can hold the rod with pliers or a small wrench an tighten the outside nut. You do not have to hold the inside nut.