Shifter Cable Question-"Ball" End Fitting

cstevens711

Hello all. Let me start my question by first stating I am not building a DF Goblin. I have designed my own car and am in the process of building it up, currently at the rolling chassis stage. The vehicle I'm working on has many design similarities in terms of donor parts as the DF Goblin so this forum has been a great source of information (and inspiration!) for my project. Now onto my question; I was hoping for some details on the ball end fitting on the shifter cables that come in your kit. I'm using a MR2 shift assembly so that side is easily enough addressed. The engine and transmission is from a stock 2007 Cobalt SS (LSJ) and I cannot reuse the stock shift cables. My usual hardware sources have not turned up any good solutions so I'm hoping to either find out a source for the correct end fittings or find out if I can purchase a set from this site. Here are a couple of pics of my project. Thanks in advance!

Ross

Goblin Guru
Nice build. More pictures?

I was able to find some metric ball ends at Zoro.
They are listed in the description of a video I did on putting an RSX shifter into my Goblin.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
For a one stop shop, you can get the push pull cables and fittings from Midwest Control.

They have M6 threaded push pull cables of different lengths and all the fittings you would need.

cstevens711

@ Ross and DCMoney; thanks for the responses!
The metric cables are perfect for end fittings I found on McMaster Carr (https://www.mcmaster.com/rod-ends/ball-socket-end-fittings-with-safety-clip-for-gas-springs-9/). I guess I should have been more specific with what I'm trying to achieve. I'd like to know what size the ball diameter is of the part shown below as I'd like to avoid modifying the shift forks.

@Ross
Here are a few other pics of my project but I want/need to be respectful to not offend the the moderator(s) since this is not a DF Goblin build.

I thought I got the cockpit dimensions right but sadly I think I'm too big for my own frame!

:(:(

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
@ Ross and DCMoney; thanks for the responses!
The metric cables are perfect for end fittings I found on McMaster Carr (https://www.mcmaster.com/rod-ends/ball-socket-end-fittings-with-safety-clip-for-gas-springs-9/). I guess I should have been more specific with what I'm trying to achieve. I'd like to know what size the ball diameter is of the part shown below as I'd like to avoid modifying the shift forks.

View attachment 16027
View attachment 16028
View attachment 16029

@Ross
Here are a few other pics of my project but I want/need to be respectful to not offend the the moderator(s) since this is not a DF Goblin build.
View attachment 16030
View attachment 16031
View attachment 16032
View attachment 16033

I thought I got the cockpit dimensions right but sadly I think I'm too big for my own frame!
View attachment 16034

:(:(
They're 10mm.