Sluggonaut's Extended Track #364 - 2007 SS/SC (Turbo) Donor

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
If you find the right person they may purchase most of everything you are selling. I found a mechanic doing work out of his home garage and he bought almost everything I had, including some of the bashed up stuff like a door and fender. When I sent the carcass off to the scrap heap there was not much left. Hopefully you will get lucky and find someone who needs many parts. :cool:

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
If you find the right person they may purchase most of everything you are selling. I found a mechanic doing work out of his home garage and he bought almost everything I had, including some of the bashed up stuff like a door and fender. When I sent the carcass off to the scrap heap there was not much left. Hopefully you will get lucky and find someone who needs many parts. :cool:
Problem Im having is people wanting me to ship. Guy A in KY wants the spoiler, guy B wants the right fender in CO. Guy C in Illinois wants the whole Interior....o_O

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Same issue, I had a guy promise to pay whatever it cost to ship my (only decent-condition) rear bumper cover from SC to AZ... balked at a $600 shipping estimate though.

The only economical shipping method I've found for the bigger stuff is Greyhound and they've gotten weird about freight over the last 2 years. Still might be worth looking into.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
IMO: heck no! Local pick up only, no shipping - is the way I advertised all the stuff I was selling. Had someone from Cali who wanted me to ship, told him your out of luck. :rolleyes::cool:

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
After reading through some more build logs, I've seen a lot of discussion about airflow coming back into the cabin from the engine. I've seen some of the various attempts to combat this, but the one that intrigues me is the mention of using an engine cover.

Of the ones I've seen this mentioned, there is no follow-up as to whether installing the engine cover addresses this issue. Does anyone have experience with the engine cover fixing the air flow issue?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Along those same lines, some have installed a diffuser under the engine bay sealing it off - same question. Has the diffuser install made any notable changes to the engine bay airflow and backflow into the cockpit?

Not trying to hijack @Sluggonaut question about the engine cover, because that is also important information to more builders. Seems this would be a good chance to correlate all this information. :D

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
cant answer the first question, but to DS question; I can’t tell you how airflow changes with a defuser, but can tell you I hear more engine noises with the defuser, than without. I’m sure the defuser does something, but it’s not a necessity to the vehicle, in my opinion.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Sluggonaut, I have never had a problem with air backflow in the cabin. I wonder if this is a result of using the front windshield, which throws the air up, then rolls back down near the engine and cabin?

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Sluggonaut, I have never had a problem with air backflow in the cabin. I wonder if this is a result of using the front windshield, which throws the air up, then rolls back down near the engine and cabin?
Yes it is. I haven’t had the issue either, but I don’t have a windshield. When Jason added his windshield, he got engine heat and some fumes I believe. This happens on sxs, but in the form of dirt and dust. Their fix is to add a back glass to the roll bar to block the air coming back to the cab from behind. Sxs also don’t run sustained high speeds either, so take that with a grain of salt.

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
Yes it is. I haven’t had the issue either, but I don’t have a windshield. When Jason added his windshield, he got engine heat and some fumes I believe. This happens on sxs, but in the form of dirt and dust. Their fix is to add a back glass to the roll bar to block the air coming back to the cab from behind. Sxs also don’t run sustained high speeds either, so take that with a grain of salt.
doesnt have to be high speeds, I put a windshield on my rzr and even at speeds of 30-60 the dust can get bad.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
Along those same lines, some have installed a diffuser under the engine bay sealing it off - same question. Has the diffuser install made any notable changes to the engine bay airflow and backflow into the cockpit?

Not trying to hijack @Sluggonaut question about the engine cover, because that is also important information to more builders. Seems this would be a good chance to correlate all this information. :D
Not a hijack at all, as that was going to be my next question. I am planning on covering the entire bottom including the use of a diffuser in the rear.

I will be using a windshield (unmodified at first) with the possibility of making the mods others have done to improve airflow within the cabin. I would like to avoid recirculating engine heat and exhaust fumes if possible, so if an engine cover is the answer I need to order one before my kit ships in the next week.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
I don't think I have seen this on the forum yet. How big a section of plexi are we talking about? I'm assuming this goes between the seats above the rear firewall?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I'd speculate it doesn't need to be too tall, based on the wind deflectors used on some other cars, like Porsche, Mercedes or BMW convertibles. Just tall enough to catch the air flowing forward across the top of the engine - speculating about 2/3 as tall as the windshield height?

Who's going to volunteer to use some CADboard and duct tape to experiment? This could be invaluable information. :cool:

JBINTX

Goblin Guru

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I also tried a small plexiglass plate between the seats for awhile. Made a small difference. Removed it though.

see pics in this post:

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
I'm a list guy, so I am starting to make a list of all the parts I need to remember to get powder coated. I may be jumping the gun since my kit is still a week or more out, but I want to line up a powder coater soon so I am not wasting time after the kit arrives.

After reading other build logs with forgotten parts and multiple trips, I figure I should try not to repeat any of those experiences.

What has everyone powder-coated aside from the frame, subframe, and gas tank?

I'm on the fence about doing the valve cover and intercooler, but the wing mounts and steering column bracket seem like no-brainers. Please let me know what you had done or wished you wouldn't have had done.

Lndshrk Steve

Did the frame, tank, rad support, A arms and tunnel cover/s in lime green. The sub frame, windshield mount, rear steering rack floor strap, passenger kick plate, coolant reservoir bracket, front & rear engine mounts, headlight brackets, shifter cable bracket and fuel pump ring in semi-gloss black. The aluminum panels, floor pans, fire walls and the side panels in a textured semi-gloss black.

Attachments

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Chassis, subframe, front control arms, tunnel cover, kickplate, toe link bar, and a couple small brackets were done in GR02 gray. The floorpan, firewall, bulkhead, floor strap, suspension uprights, steering arms, etc were done in BK05 black.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
When shopping quotes for 3D printing services, what printing type and material should I be requesting?

I'm getting prices quoted from $70-$180 for the gauge pod alone. I am sure I am just selecting the wrong printing process or material; otherwise, for that price, I am better off just buying my own 3D printer.

The problem is between work, family, and a kit car build project (one you might have heard of) I don't have time to research, buy, and learn 3D printing also.

Any tips would be appreciated. If anyone knows of a decent 3D printing service, feel free to share that as well.