SmsDetroit Registered!!! Extended Track Goblin 09 Turbo SS

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
The car might lean a little downhill if it is a large enough angle,
but if it is almost flat, your method should work fine.
Thank you. I’m a bit hesitant to take camber out of it because it drives so stabile. With the 255s up front the outer 1” of the tire isn’t contacting the road. I’m sure it’s set up fantastic for autocross but not so much for road trips. Ross you do a lot of alignment changes. Where is the best (easiest) place to adjust it. The outer heim joints or inner? My though is the outer then I don’t have a much risk of messing up my caster.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Either way works, but I like to have my front A arms tucked in close to the frame. Well just the bottom one, as the top one has to be adjusted outward. The inner A arm heim joints are little more work, but if you spin them both the same amount, your caster setting is preserved.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
So mine has more non contact in the front than in the rear when driving. Someone said that the bottom a arms needed to be level at driving weigh.

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
So I know I have the upgraded map sensors on my LNF when I got my donor. The check engine light kept coming in with a baro/map code which usually points the the ecu. My brother-in-law got me a new ecu (free) and my baro/map code came back. So here is the stupid question. Which one is it. The one on the DF intake or the one on the intake manifold.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
So as a reminder, you have the ATK block? Mine came with the 12612110 map sensor on the manifold which is a 4 bar map sensor. If you have the same, the tune will need to be tweaked for that one.

ZZPerformance has the 4 Bar Map on their site and says;
Tune tweaks:
Map sensor Linear reads 94.4 in the stock 2.2/2.4 ECU file and this needs to be changed to 424.99. The KPA offset is 10.3 stock and should be changed to -32.50.

I have also found on the HP Tuners forums the recommendation to copy the MAP data from the stock Buick Regal Turbo tune.

What is the part number of your other map sensor? Or both if you don't have the ATK/4 bar map sensor?

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
So as a reminder, you have the ATK block? Mine came with the 12612110 map sensor on the manifold which is a 4 bar map sensor. If you have the same, the tune will need to be tweaked for that one.

ZZPerformance has the 4 Bar Map on their site and says;
Tune tweaks:
Map sensor Linear reads 94.4 in the stock 2.2/2.4 ECU file and this needs to be changed to 424.99. The KPA offset is 10.3 stock and should be changed to -32.50.

I have also found on the HP Tuners forums the recommendation to copy the MAP data from the stock Buick Regal Turbo tune.

What is the part number of your other map sensor? Or both if you don't have the ATK/4 bar map sensor?
Thank you. I’ll have to get the part numbers off of them mi know they are blue Bosch stickers and have the plug adapters. The factory ones were in the glove box of the donor so I may try to put those back on since the ecu has the fact tune until I can get it retuned.

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
Here are the maps that were on the car. I put the stock ones back on until I get it tuned. Also weird thing. Ever since I got my donor the blow off sounded more like a turkey wobble than a turbo. Jokingly I called it a turkey turbo. Once I put the stock maps on it sounds normal. The original ecu was said to have a tube in it. I don’t get it

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
So I took my goblin out to a larger open parking lot to see how it would handle. In large sweeping turns it had a major tendency to under steer. What adjustments can I make to help with this?

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
So I took my goblin out to a larger open parking lot to see how it would handle. In large sweeping turns it had a major tendency to under steer. What adjustments can I make to help with this?
Explain your comments - understeering. Under what actual conditions?
Was the parking lot clean? Or any loose gravel?
Quick steering input with speed?
Turning with any braking input?
Where are you front and rear shock adjustments?
And remind us what tires you are running.

Ross

Goblin Guru
All things that will help prevent understeer:
softer springs on the front / harder spring on the rear
softer shock setting on the front / harder shock setting on the rear
softer tires on the front/ harder tires on the rear
add a rear sway bar. (or put on a heavier rear sway bar)
Move weight forward in the vehicle / Less fuel in the tank = less rear weight
Add weights to the front
Add a front wing for downforce
Buy an angled front windshield (shameless plug, but it is a big wing, so it will help)
Braking or decelerating will transfer weight to the front too (my goblin will under steer when accelerating, over steer when braking)

Last edited:

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
it was a clean surface. I was using steady throttle while slowly turning in tighter and tighter. I would have thought at some point the rear end would come around but the front end just pushed. If I stabbed the throttle the rear end would come around. maybe this is just my lack of knowledge.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
it was a clean surface. I was using steady throttle while slowly turning in tighter and tighter. I would have thought at some point the rear end would come around but the front end just pushed. If I stabbed the throttle the rear end would come around. maybe this is just my lack of knowledge.
Ross jumped past me and listed several good items.
The Goblin is for sure a different handling animal. There are plenty of different dynamic ways the vehicle can react to.
Keep in mind, you have 600 lbs on the front axle and 1,000 lbs on the rear.

Don't do anything different until you have the opportunity to explore it some more. Safely, of course.... ;)

Last edited:

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
All things that will help prevent understeer:
softer springs on the front / harder spring on the rear
softer shock setting on the front / harder shock setting on the rear
softer tires on the front/ harder tires on the rear
add a rear sway bar. (or put on a heavier rear sway bar)
Move weight forward in the vehicle / Less fuel in the tank = less rear weight
Add weights to the front
Add a front wing for downforce
Buy an angled front windshield (shameless plug, but it is a big wing, so it will help)
Braking or decelerating will transfer weight to the front too (my goblin will under steer when accelerating, over steer when braking)
Ross's last sentence touched on the inherent handling trait of a mid-engined/rear-engined car. I mean all vehicles will exhibit this, it's just more pronounced in a mid/ rear layout.