SmsDetroit Registered!!! Extended Track Goblin 09 Turbo SS

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I would rather pay more and have the HPT. That way you can fine tune it for your setup, especially the maf settings.

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
I would rather pay more and have the HPT. That way you can fine tune it for your setup, especially the maf settings.
I agree however the current pcm is locked so it needs to be replaced from what I can see and it’s not much more to buy one from ZZP with a tune then next year I can get the HPT and make more adjustments

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
I getting ready to order a new clutch kit. I know there is a lot of options out there. What are some of the options for a full kit. I’ve been looking for the GMPP clutch but I can’t find a flywheel with it

Ross

Goblin Guru
The GMPP was designed for the stock flywheel, but I don't see why you couldn't use a lightweight flywheel,

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
When I order mine, it’ll be the gmpp kit. I have a simple theory; it’s designed by GM to go in a cobalt with their stage 2 performance package (at least for an LSJ). gm warranty’s all their performance parts as if they were oe parts, so it should be able to handle the pressure as well as be made to GM specs. In a 3000# cobalt, this setup should work fine, so if I add a little more power, it should still be able to handle it too, being in a 1600# car. At least that’s what I keep telling myself. :D

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
I was looking for a full kit with flywheel. Not necessarily a lightweight. Just in case when I pull the trans if there is a problem with the stock flywheel I’d like to be ready to replace it.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Most machine shops will turn a flywheel pretty quickly..

I went with a mid-grade M-Pact 6 puck from Rockauto with a turned stock flywheel. The clutch is a little grabby but no regrets.

Last edited:

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
Okay so I’m seeing mixed information about clutch kits. Some say turbo only, others say supercharged only and other say they will work with both. Any guidance would be appreciated

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I got the upgraded LSJ clutch from ZZP and it works great. Mind you, I’m only on stage 2 power levels but it hooks up well.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Problem is most manufacturers state a HP rating for their clutches, but they should be rated by torque. Torque is what makes everything spin and a boosted engine obviously makes it spin harder.

Torque is torque and it doesn't matter if it's created by a turbo or a supercharger. The clutch set needs to be able to handle the maximum torque the engine can generate, plus a little more to accommodate future wear.

Which brings your decision to how powerful you plan to build your engine. Keep in mind that a 1850lb Goblin doesn't need the same rated clutch as a 3400lb Cobalt. Driveability is another consideration, which is generally based on a spring or solid clutch hub.

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
Problem is most manufacturers state a HP rating for their clutches, but they should be rated by torque. Torque is what makes everything spin and a boosted engine obviously makes it spin harder.

Torque is torque and it doesn't matter if it's created by a turbo or a supercharger. The clutch set needs to be able to handle the maximum torque the engine can generate, plus a little more to accommodate future wear.

Which brings your decision to how powerful you plan to build your engine. Keep in mind that a 1850lb Goblin doesn't need the same rated clutch as a 3400lb Cobalt. Driveability is another consideration, which is generally based on a spring or solid clutch hub.
I understand that. I wasn’t sure if they had a different spline count, bolt patter or if anything else was physically different between them. The LSJ clutch kits are $$$ less than the long

Last edited:

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I understand that. I wasn’t sure if they had a different spline count, bolt patter or if anything else was physically different between them. The LSJ clutch kits are $$$ less than the long
All the LNF and LSJ clutch parts are interchangeable. They're only 'fit' for one motor or the other based on an assessed suitability for their different power levels. The LSJ and LNF both have the same 8 bolt flywheel bolt pattern on the crank, the same input shaft on the trans, the same slave cylinder, and all that.

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
All the LNF and LSJ clutch parts are interchangeable. They're only 'fit' for one motor or the other based on an assessed suitability for their different power levels. The LSJ and LNF both have the same 8 bolt flywheel bolt pattern on the crank, the same input shaft on the trans, the same slave cylinder, and all that.
Thank you. That is what I was looking for. If you look up for a LNF a full kit is like $900 but the same kit for a LSJ is $450. I know I don’t need as much clutch now that the car is 2000lbs less

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
Has anyone had any luck with Luk clutch kits? Also I ordered a new pcm with a tune from ZZP because my pcm was tuner locked. I’m sure I’ll need to adjust the tune. Is there anyone running a 3 bar map tune from ZZP and if so how does it run in the goblin?

KSLunsfo

Luk is a good brand. They're German and are OEM in many vehicles. I put one in an Audi Quattro a couple years ago.