(SOLD)Karter2026's City Chassis 09 LT XFE, PA Build #72- Registered

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I wanted some protection for the radiator. I did not want expanded metal. I found this place that sell sheets of material https://www.customcargrills.com/ I cut it to fit I will have to glass in some studs to hold it in place. It should help provide some protection from stones and debris. Played around with stripes with some tape also.
20181229_135049.jpg

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Not sure what your driving plans are, but Lonny mentioned that expanded metal reduces airflow by 30%. I'm sure that would create a similar reduction.

Shouldn't be an issue if you just city drive. Looks good.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Not sure what your driving plans are, but Lonny mentioned that expanded metal reduces airflow by 30%. I'm sure that would create a similar reduction.

Shouldn't be an issue if you just city drive. Looks good.
I do not think it will cause any issues. I'm not boosted in any way yet to heat things up. I want a little more protection from small stones. Around this part of the country they oil the roads in fall. I call it tar and chip. It is a hot thin tar sprayed then a thin layer of small 1/4" to 1/2" gravel on it. ( I guess it is to protect the roads in winter months. I think it is the glass company's and body shops that pay to have it done to help business ) It can make a mess out of a car.

Jimlup

Yes, it really does look good. Was thinking about some type of screen on my build.
Wonder how Lonny calculated the air flow reduction, sure doesn't look like it would restrict much.

Reactions: Dre

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Yes, it really does look good. Was thinking about some type of screen on my build.
Wonder how Lonny calculated the air flow reduction, sure doesn't look like it would restrict much.
I talked to him when I was down there about it. It was a different setup he referred to that it would reduce the airflow wen I was talking to him. The measured and calculated the area of restriction. Karter could do to same if he really wanted to know. There will be some reduction of air, but these cars do not seem to run warm or have any problems with heat from my experience. Frankly, I'm very surprised and happy with how well the cooling system works on this build! You should be okay.

terryjr

youll be surprised how many stones hit you down there. I have a heavy duty Perrin front mount inter cooler (fmic) that i have to respray every so often as it gets covered in stone chips.

Just park in on Oil n Chip week. around my way they do it in september, then it gets hot again, melt the tar and you get chunks coming at you and big divots in the road

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I talked to him when I was down there about it. It was a different setup he referred to that it would reduce the airflow wen I was talking to him. The measured and calculated the area of restriction. Karter could do to same if he really wanted to know. There will be some reduction of air, but these cars do not seem to run warm or have any problems with heat from my experience. Frankly, I'm very surprised and happy with how well the cooling system works on this build! You should be okay.
I thought about this some back before I started the build. If my memory serves me right the stock cobalt radiator was A single core at about 9/16" ( turbo was still a single row just a bit wider 3/4" core). The radiator we are running now has 3 cores I think. It is smaller in width and height but prob has a little more surface area for cooling with the 3 cores. At least that is my thought.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I am hopeful that these items will make the hood removal easier than using the Dzus fasteners that came with it. I like the ease of a push button.
20190113_125943.jpg
20190113_130111.jpg
20190113_130116.jpg

I also used these in a larger version at the rear of the hood for my hood pins.
hoodpin crop.jpg

I may add another set on the front lower side of the hood also.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
I like that those are so clean. Traditional headpins always seem like they get rusty because they easily get scratched putting the pin in...

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I worked on my front bumper some. I have all the brackets made and mocked up. I just have to tack them all together, narrow it up some, and finish up some small details on it. My goal is initial PA inspection some time around late March.
20190116_120844.jpg

20190116_120851.jpg

I have also been playing with the stripes for ideas. I have used about 2 rolls of tape so far.
20181229_132224.jpg

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Today I went to the World of Wheels car show to check out terryjr (member on here) tube chassis Subaru truck. What a cool piece of work. I got home and decided to put the rear coil overs together. Chad and Idrvslo shared some measurement information with me on where to set the BC Racing stuff to start. I figured I would share it on my log. Anti-seize is a must on these at least from my thoughts
20190210_162505.jpg

I put it around the lower where it will connect to the strut and where each lock ring is at.
The bottom of lower ring is 205mm or 8.071" from the top of the shock body and about 82.5mm or 3.25" from the bottom of the shock body to the bottom of the lock ring.
20190210_162849.jpg

Can also double check from the bottom of the mount after assembled.
20190210_163348.jpg

The top lock ring and spring seat measured from the bottom of the lower ring to the top of the spring seat is 108mm or 4.25"
20190210_163540.jpg

This should give you some rough settings for ride height. Each car will be different.
20190210_164144.jpg

20190210_164003.jpg

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Not much progress this week. I did get the pattern made for the windshield glass, and dropped it off at the glass shop. I spent some time laying out wiper arm length and the arc before I order wipers.
20190211_102829.jpg

I have a lot I want to tackle this weekend.
The big thing will be work on steering stops. I will post my solution if I end up with one.
Reinstall the coil overs
Alignment
Paint front bumper
Paint windshield frame
Do some fitment of rear fenders.
Get the side panels ready for the wrap.
It is a big list and I know all of it is not getting done

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I have a lot I want to tackle this weekend.
The big thing will be work on steering stops. I will post my solution if I end up with one.
Reinstall the coil overs
Alignment
Paint front bumper
Paint windshield frame
Do some fitment of rear fenders.
Get the side panels ready for the wrap.
It is a big list and I know all of it is not getting done
Filled a few of the above check boxes yesterday. Still more to check off though.
Steering stop Idea did not work out. I tried to use shaft collars. It worked fine on the passenger side.
20190216_102135.jpg

The driver side did not work the same way. I should of looked at that driver side first. The rack gear goes almost all the way to the inner tie rod end. Back to the white board I guess. Any ideas ?
20190216_101840.jpg

Front bumper is painted and lights wired up. Didn't take any pictures.

Installed the rear coil overs and fit the rear fenders.
20190216_120651.jpg

20190216_120707.jpg

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I broke out the vintage Alemite cross sight alignment tools. The alignment is done.
20190216_114845.jpg

20190216_114857.jpg

20190216_144908.jpg

Time to finish up the modified front fender mounts. Decide if they are getting painted or wrapped.

terryjr

well that's an interesting tool.

for wipers, you just need one, i like my Ongaro HD unit, turns my 24" wiper just fine, even in that blizzard last weekend. the inspector looked for the wiper to self park, I found out some of those cheaper units like Summit has for ~$50 that say they self park, only actually self park if you use the switch on the back of the unit itself. This Ongaro HD is fully sweep adjustable and self parks from a remote switch. Im using my stock subie wiper switch to control it.

oh and btw, your right headlight could use that alignment tool