Solid transmission mounts misaligned

kurbkilla

So I installed the engine to the frame then mounted the subframe underneath and as I was doing the front mount it looked like it was off diagonally by half an inch. I have tried loosening all the bolts and using the screwdriver to try and force it/adjust it. But it won't budge, I have a SS supercharged with the f23 tran.

Attachments

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Not that this gets you any closer to lining things up, but I think that's an F35 trans. I'm not sure if you found some documentation about where the F23 goes and were trying to use those holes or if they're even different.

Chubbs

I had the exact same issue. I think maybe the jig they are using at df is off just a bit when they weld up the front trans bracket. I doubt you are doing anything wrong.

I ended up elongating all the holes in the bracket just enough to make it fit. Not an elegant solution, but it worked.

kurbkilla

I ended up elongating all the holes in the bracket just enough to make it fit. Not an elegant solution, but it worked.
I can torque all mounting points except the front mount. I was thinking of re-drilling to make the front work.

On a side note anyone have an issue with the front subframe bolts (the squared ones) not seating in the hole. Mine start to tighten then just spin.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Try hitting the carriage bolts with a hammer to set the "square" in the hole. If you mess with it to much, it's possible to enlarge the hole and round off the corners of the square, making it hard to get it to "bite". It would probably take a lot to get it to this point so I doubt that it's a problem yet.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I used a slightly different procedure than what's been posted in several other places.
This procedure, or a close variation of it, was my ticket. There was a combination of having the right things tight or loose that enabled me to get everything in loose and in place before going back to tighten everything up.

Also fwiw I guess I can confirm you got the mounting points correct. Also for my future reference as well as other folks, the engine and transmission mount holes from the videos are shown here:

Engine holes (shown in two diagrams as the video has one engine side bolt installed, then the full trans side, then back for the other two engine bolts)

front of car is this way ->

Transmission holes

<- front of car is this way

finazzoty

Sorry to bump this, but I figured this could be helpful for anyone who is currently struggling with this issue or may in the future. I believe I may have developed my first Goblin helpful tip/trick lol (or maybe it’s already been done). Ratchet strap to adjust the “x axis” and loosen/tighten the subframe bolts to adjust the “y axis” - was able to line it right up

Attachments

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Since I made my own solid lower mounts, I just bolted everything in the DF holes available and then welded my remaining pieces to match.

Scott #321

I had good luck with having all bolts loose and installed prior to tightening anything down. All mount locations (Subframe, engine, trans, as well as front and rear brackets).