Something in the works.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Not a formula car, I wish though. I thought the wheels were steel too but they're aluminum with steel seats.
20200702_174353.jpg

20200702_174233.jpg

Last edited:

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
GT sedan club racer? I think I see a rear door in the pic along with a roll cage close to the right side of the Kirkey.
Winner!
Deal done and car at it's new home today!
When I say deal, it was an offer I couldn't refuse.
1983 RX7, 13B, 9500rpm screamer. Fully caged, watts linkage rear end, fuel cell, list goes on.
Part of the deal is the previous owner kept certain parts for his street car. Carb, header, distributor, coils, belt driven oil pump system, steering wheel, oil pan.

20200706_185512.jpg

Already getting into it reassembling and adjusting the steering linkage
20200706_153414.jpg

20200706_185717.jpg

Repurposed the Goblin steering wheel for now.
20200706_185638.jpg

20200706_185559.jpg

20200706_185611.jpg

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
I've always loved the look of the FD's.
We can't wait to see how this drives once we source all the replacement parts. This car I guess is still legal and competitive in E Production class instead of a vintage class.
A few parts and elbow grease should get it under it's own power again.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
We made some progress on the RX7 this weekend.
Had to remove the front cover and verify the front thrust bearing had dropped out of position and reassembled.
External wet sump drive pulley installed.
Header and intake bolted on and torqued.
Carb, throttle arm, stop and throttle cable mount built/modified and installed.
20211121_104637.jpg

Can't wait for our first start on this and hear that 'ol Braap, Braap, Braap!

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I always loved how tiny those motors are. They're probably actually decent on power if you compare total engine size to power output, but for sure nothing touches them on total engine size to noise output.

My college car club had an '84 GS with weight reduction, Konis, slicks, and a rats nest delete, and that thing was a hoot. It was a great beginners car, with some drivers learning to drive a manual on it, but with the right driver you could also go place top 5 in the event.

Looks good!

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Made some progress on the RX7.
Removed all the MSD wiring that was for the trailing ignition. Re-wired the MSD 6AL for the leading ignition and configured for direct fire. That cleaned up a bunch of wiring.
New braided ptfe fuel line from the regulator to the carb. (Still need to replace it from the regulator back the cell)
Got the oil baffle plate and oil pan reinstalled. Mounted the external oil pump back up for the external wet sump system. Need to pull the crossmember and cut and weld a notch in it to clear big friggin' AN fitting that connects to the pan.
20220131_170212.jpg

Doesn't look like much was done but the devil's in the details.
20220129_182529.jpg

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Awesome setup! How much power does a carbureted N/A 13B like that put down?

Last edited: