South Carolina registration

Andy

Hello all, thought I would start a thread. Just research/ calls to the DMV at this point.

In SC to register a custom built car all you need is either a bill of sale or a title of the donor car showing the vin for the transmission and engine. I assume the frame comes with a vin and paperwork or you can apply for a VIN from the DMV with a bill of sale for the chassis.

Build the car to road worthy condition then call the DMV out with all of the above paperwork and forms 4038 application for a custom vehicle title and form 400 application for a title. The inspector will come to your house verify the engine, transmission, and frame VINs and sign off on your paperwork to get a title.

No safety inspection needed.

Woman I called was super nice and it seemed very easy process.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Editing my original post to provide the info required for registering my kit as of 12/17/2020 I am 100% legal now...

YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY, AFTER TALKING TO OTHERS WHO HAVEN'T HAD MY LUCK I MAY HAVE CAUGHT MY DMV AGENT ON A GOOD DAY AND DIDN’T HAVE TO DO THE “OFFICIAL” WAY.

To Title
  • Form-400
  • MCO from DF
  • 15$ for new title
  • Receipts for the kit (Some form of receipt, IE DF's invoice(s) and receipts from donor purchase are all I provided)
  • Picture of the DF Serial# & of the kit itself (May not be necessary?)
  • Mailed to SC main office in Blythewood, SC
    • This is required as the kit has an MCO and you need a title to register it.
    • Do not go to the DMV office before you receive an SC title.
To Register:
  • Paid property tax receipt
  • Title
  • 40$ for registration/tag
Cost To Register ($97.62):
  • $42.64 Property Tax (YMMV, my tax accessor only noted it as 2k assessed value so I lucked out in that regard)
  • $15.00 Title
  • $40.00 Registration/Plates
  • $30.00 Vanity Plate (optional)
Your mileage may vary, but:
  • I did not need the title from the donor.
  • I did not need a safety inspection, only pictures confirming it had a serial# attached to it
  • I did need receipts from what I bought, but I only supplied the DF Kit receipt & the auction receipt showing the VIN and what I paid for it - not 100% sure that was needed. I did not have to prove value or worth, so I did not include receipts for performance parts, repairs, labor, etc.

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
In Arkansas, I was able to title the Goblin before it was running.
After I got it running, I found insurance, then got it plated.
Anyhow, I wonder if you can title your Goblin now... then you are free to get rid of the donor.
DF supplies a "certficate of manufacturer" I think it was called, and a VIN number.

Last edited:

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I don't plan on buying the kit for a few months cause #FamilyFirst so I was hoping to get rid of the frame to park my DD in that spot while I build the engine on the 3rd garage spot.

I'd love to not have to have my DD out in the weather when it gets cold :(

Oldchevyguy

I know this is an older post. Regarding disposal of the shell, you could cut it up in pieces to store outside. A sawzall will make quick work of it.

Andy

You don't have to save the car shell to title. But if you sell the chassis and it is less than 12 years old the scrap yard that takes the chassis will want to scrap the title out this won't necessarily cause problems titling but could. So in my case being newer than 12 years old i cut the chassis up a sawzaw and threw it away. I then turned around and sent the title in with my paperwork when I titled the goblin this showed without a doubt i owned the trans and engine.

Kenny123

So has anyone actually registered in SC? Info looks great and thanks for posting but have you done it? My kit will be here soon and I wana register it asap!! Cheers.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Man I'm close but it's too hot to be in my garage right now, plus I keep using the "I have very young kids" excuse to make myself feel better.

I'm going to get my rear wheels/suspension on this week/weekend and hopefully finish up the coolant lines.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Edit edit: THIS is the process

Edit:

Will be attempting Mayor West's process this week, reading through all the paperwork for a manufactured vehicle and so forth, there's a bunch of outdated references, which leads me to believe it is as straightforward as the mayor has made it out to be. Don't want to put any other SC folks on the wrong path if the correct one can be confirmed here.

I have not yet ordered a kit, but am planning on it soon. Just to clarify my understanding and invite any corrections from folks with a better understanding or experience:

1. SC Form 401-A Application for Assigned Serial Number
-then you get a VIN and affix it somehow to the chassis?-
edit:duh, VIN comes on the chassis from DFKC
edit:duh, no it doesn't
1.1 Insurance, required for step 2.
2. SC Form 400 Title Application, along with
3. SC Form 4038 Affidavit of Specially Constructed Vehicle, along with
-note step 3 requires the "Certification of an Authorized Agent of the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles" so should be done in person at the DMV-
4. SC Form TI-021A Affidavit of Ownership for a Motor Vehicle , along with
5. SC Form TI-021B Vehicle Identification Verification for Title without a Previous Title
-note step 5 requires a DMV Agent / Law Enforcement Signature so should be done in person at the DMV-
-then you get the title-
6. SC property tax and registration just like any other car

--------------------------

On a parallel note, for scrapping a shell, the critical factor is the age:

1. For vehicles 12 years old and older, the scrapper does a DMV VIN Check to see if the VIN is flagged as stolen
2. SC Form TI-014A which is standard vehicle scrapping paperwork
3. Proof of Ownership & Valid State ID, which can be a bill of sale + drivers license
-or-
1. For vehicles newer than 12 years, there's a bunch of hoopla with permission from your local County Sherriff Department that I don't plan to pursue because I want to do an SS/SC build.

*edit* updated in-person requirements for step 3 of registration

Last edited:

Kenny123

I have not yet ordered a kit, but am planning on it soon. Just to clarify my understanding and invite any corrections from folks with a better understanding or experience:

5. SC Form TI-021B Vehicle Identification Verification for Title without a Previous Title
-note step 5 requires a DMV Agent / Law Enforcement Signature so should be done in person at the DMV-
-then you get the title-

1. For vehicles 12 years old and older, the scrapper does a DMV VIN Check to see if the VIN is flagged as stolen
3. Proof of Ownership & Valid State ID, which can be a bill of sale + drivers license
-or-
1. For vehicles newer than 12 years, there's a bunch of hoopla with permission from your local County Sherriff Department that I don't plan to pursue because I want to do an SS/SC build.
Doesn't sound too hard then in SC. Much appreciated. I have a ways to go but I want to get all my ducks in a row. Thank you.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Doesn't sound too hard then in SC. Much appreciated. I have a ways to go but I want to get all my ducks in a row. Thank you.
To be clear, I haven't been through this process, or even ordered my kit yet. This is just the process as my research indicates and wanted to see if anyone else has a different understanding or has been through the full process. I know there's a few registered SC Goblins running around so I might reach out to them in a few months if they don't chime in here.

I scrapped my shell and title to a dude on Craigslist so we'll see how that goes ‍♂
My understanding is that SC may ask for some sort of evidence of ownership for the engine, transmission, and other components. Specifically from Form 4038: "A bill of sale and/or receipts for parts and any custom kit documents used to rebuild or make the vehicle must also be attached." But from what I've read from other forums (Exo, etc.), depending on the agent, they wouldn't ask for documentation for specific pieces of the car, meaning a receipt from DF may get the job done on its own.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
To be clear, I haven't been through this process, or even ordered my kit yet. This is just the process as my research indicates and wanted to see if anyone else has a different understanding or has been through the full process. I know there's a few registered SC Goblins running around so I might reach out to them in a few months if they don't chime in here.

My understanding is that SC may ask for some sort of evidence of ownership for the engine, transmission, and other components. Specifically from Form 4038: "A bill of sale and/or receipts for parts and any custom kit documents used to rebuild or make the vehicle must also be attached." But from what I've read from other forums (Exo, etc.), depending on the agent, they wouldn't ask for documentation for specific pieces of the car, meaning a receipt from DF may get the job done on its own.
Yeah I've read that too. I have my Copart receipts and all that sale info so I'm hoping that's enough. The car was totaled so I had no reason to register it, it was parts only. Gave the title to the dude who scraped it.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
One more point of update according to my most recent research. I spoke to DF earlier this week and they indicated (understandably) that they've learned different states' sales taxes are frequently considerations for their customers in deciding whether to pick their kits up or have them shipped. Kits picked up in TX have an 8.25% TX sales tax (as stated on their ordering page). My first piece of information is that TX and SC have sales tax reciprocity, meaning there would be no sales tax due in SC on the kit if picked up in TX.

However, there's no SC state sales tax on vehicles! The technicality is that in 2017 it was replaced with the "Infrastructure Maintenance Fee" at 5% capped at $500, and I don't believe paying TX sales tax is going to mean the IMF is not owed. In this case, picking up the kit in TX would mean you just added 8.25% to the cost of your kit just for the luxury of picking your kit up.

Form 4038 says "You must pay for a title, and, if applicable, a registration fee and casual sales tax or excise tax on the vehicle." But from my interpretation, the sales tax is probably not applicable.

Any clarifications would be welcome.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
There's no SC sales tax but there are (once registered) yearly property taxes and the initial valuation tax of 5%/$500 just like any other vehicle.
You will pay sales tax in Texas if you pick up in Texas in addition to the SC property/initial taxes (once registered), but no additional "sales" tax if you have it shipped to SC other than what's mentioned above (5%/500 & yearly property once registered).

If you buy an out of state vehicle from a dealership, they charge you SC taxes and handle it accordingly. You're not buying a vehicle though, you're buying a kit/parts... so if you pick it up from Texas, you will pay Texas sales (not vehicle) taxes up front just like if you bought lunch in Texas, but then you will pay SC taxes to register/title it. So unless you want to visit DF and meet Lonny & Adam, just pay to have it shipped. It is cheaper than taxes plus the cost to travel to Texas. My shipping cost $700. Texas taxes + commute costs (truck rental, gas, lodging, food) was easily twice as much.

Cliff Notes: SC will tax you when you register no matter how you receive the kit, but there is no tax on the purchase of the kit parts itself on behalf of SC. Texas will tax you if you pick it up in person, in addition to SC's registration tax once registered.

Make sense?

Last edited:

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I just got back from the DMV and @Rauq was originally correct, I was told I do need a 401-A request for an assigned serial number form. They said I did not need the TI-021A but I honestly don't trust she really knew what she was doing.

I'll keep this updated when I eventually get it legal. I know a few SC folks are going to need it soon.

Edited to show that the DMV called and said I don't need a Form401-A because the kit has a serial attached to it already, as I originally expected this should be enough... She just needs the MCO, 15$, the original receipts, and the form 400 to title it.

Last edited:

Goblin Graber

edit:duh, VIN comes on the chassis from DFKC
1.1 Insurance, required for step 2.
-note step 3 requires the "Certification of an Authorized Agent of the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles" so should be done in person at the DMV-
-then you get the title-

-or-

*edit* updated in-person requirements for step 3 of registration
You will need to get a 17 digit VIN assigned by your state. The kit comes with an MSO and Serial Number not a VIN