Sporadic hesitation under acceleration

Jm12

I'm having an issue with my SS/TC Goblin where occasionally during hard pulls I can feel tiny moments of hesitation. It doesn't always happen, but it's definitely happening. The car is new to me so I'm not sure if it's always been this way or if what I put it through on the way home may have caused it- it's a moot point either way now, I just want to get to the bottom of it. I'm thinking I'll clean and re-oil the filter and clean the MAF sensor as a starting point. I'd like to do a code scan on it as well but I'm not sure which OBDLink dongle is Chevy compatible- I own a LX.

Am I on the right track here? Anything else I should be looking into?

Ross

Goblin Guru
The OBD codes is where I would start, or HP Tuners, if you have it.
Pull the spark plugs? Not sure how accurately you can read plugs these days, but I try. See if they are all even burn pattern if nothing else.
Maybe a compression check if you haven't done one before.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Is this hesitation at the initial application of throttle or is it stumbling during the acceleration?
Fuel quality, weather and the touchiness of the throttle all can play a factor in how the 'feel' of the car is perceived.
If you're mashing the throttle and not lifting, one factor of throttle 'bouncing' can be ruled out.
Did this become noticeable before or after your experience with the monsoon rains? The non-sealed electronics could be a factor.
Just glad you made the trip safely! :D

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Pretty much any of the code scanners will work for p codes, the ones most likely to cause your problem.
High rpm problems, I would check plugs and since it is intermittent, check for loose wiring connections.

Someone had a tech2 emulator for sale on here recently that would enable you to check any of the codes. If you can get it to work with your computer.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I had a coil pack that was beginning to miss. Similar symptoms To you. Would not throw a code but did show up on scan with HP tuners.

Scott #321

I have seen a lot of times under heavy accel spark jumping/arcing over the plug insulators under the boot. I have seldom seen this get bad enough to cause problems under normal driving conditions. I would also start by pulling plugs and be sure yo check the outsides as well, monsoon weather could definitely cause some contamination to get this type of issue showing up. +1 for HP tuners, I have not received mine yet but data logging is a super cool diagnostic tool once you learn to read it.

Jm12

Issue happens under WOT, and it's just the tiniest little bits of hesitation- milliseconds here and there. I can't say for sure whether it was present before the purchase or after the dousing of the car as I was still getting used to it at the time. The night after we got caught in the rain, somewhere in East Kansas we became party to a handful of spirited pulls at the insistence of some Mustang drivers. At the time I thought that we were experiencing wheel hop in 3rd and 4th gears- in retrospect I'm wondering if it was a more severe presentation of this problem and it mostly cleared up over the rest of the trip.

I'll check the plugs for sure and go from there. It sounds like HP Tuners is in my future no matter what.