SS/SC AC Compressor - Can I remove it?

Esstover

Can I get rid of the AC Compressor? Seems like I remember seeing a photo of an SS/SC without the AC compressor, but I think they had something in its place with just a pulley on it.

95Blitz

double idler yes, 3D print was just a place holder, made it out of aluminum. You can see it kindof in the last two pictures, these pics where during mock up so it hadn't been welded yet.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
double idler yes, 3D print was just a place holder, made it out of aluminum. You can see it kindof in the last two pictures, these pics where during mock up so it hadn't been welded yet.
You could easily sell a few of those here if you were so inclined to make more.

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
That won't put enough wrap around the alternator. A big amp load, like right after starting, could cause slippage.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The routing @Tinkles is showing is the same as @95Blitz did on his LSJ. Not certain how much wrap is required (180 minimum?), but looks like it would be at least 140ish degrees? Since @95Blitz apparently has it working, haven't heard of any complaints his alternator is slipping?

Ross

Goblin Guru
I don't get it. What are you gaining by re-arranging the pulleys?
If you take the stock setup, and reduce the AC pump to an idler pulley you get the same result... but it is easier than re-engineering the pulleys.

3 necessary pulleys (Crank, alternator, supercharger), 1 tensioner pulley and 2 idler pulleys.

Which is the same 6 pulleys we have here:

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Just an observation - the alternator spins in the opposite direction. The 'engineered' idler pulley spin it clockwise, the gutted AC spins it counterclockwise. Guess it depends upon which alternator you are using. LNF for reference.

Attachments

95Blitz

I'm gaining not having to use a double sided belt, and the stupid tensioner system. So I can run a normal belt and a normal tensioner, and if I look a little I can find a alt pulley and get rid of that stupid azz clutched pulley also.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
They do also make a pulley that goes in place of that AC compressor that may save a pound or 2
I saw one on the Facebook Cobalt Parts group and I was too late to buy it. It was a bracket that had a pulley that went in place of the A/C compressor for SC vehicles. Apparently they used to make one.