SS/SC AC Compressor - Can I remove it?

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
Right, it just keeps everything operating a little smoother. Helpful for a belt driven supercharger. The non supercharged Cobalt's alternators do not have this feature. This video illustrates the difference:
Wow, wasn't quite expecting that. Seems to make problems even with constant speed.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Why do you hate it?
Mine was extremely difficult to remove the tension on the belt. There really isn't a good way to do it that I found. Probably some YouTube secret somewhere, but I didn't find it. I prefer the style with the square for a 3/8" breaker bar to remove the tension.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
My method is literally to wedge a 4 ft 2x4 below the from, but above the pulley. Works great, but I'm sure its not good for the pulley lol

Joebob

Goblin Guru
I have the ZZP adjustable tensioner and since the pully mounting bolt is left hand threads. All you have to do is grab the T50 socket from removing the seat belts and use a ratchet to smoothly unload tension without prying on the pully itself.

This also allows you to adjust for different pully sizes without getting new belts.

In my mind it removes the need to find an alternate A/C pulley system as the gutted compressor is light and easy and the stock available belt can handle down to the 2.6 pulley.

Joe

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Is there a AC pulley replacement for the LSJ? I just don't have the option to go with an empty AC compressor, since I don't got the compressor with my engine.

Otherwise, I have already an idea how to design my own AC replacement which allows for different SC pulleys as well.
Someone is selling a gutted compressor on EBAY

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
I have the ZZP adjustable tensioner and since the pully mounting bolt is left hand threads. All you have to do is grab the T50 socket from removing the seat belts and use a ratchet to smoothly unload tension without prying on the pully itself.

This also allows you to adjust for different pully sizes without getting new belts.

In my mind it removes the need to find an alternate A/C pulley system as the gutted compressor is light and easy and the stock available belt can handle down to the 2.6 pulley.

Joe
Do you have a picture installed?

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Oh! I went back and looked; that green frame in the pix is NOT yours. Yeah, it looked like an unlikely move for you, what with the SAAB stuff thrown in for added confusion, but I just wanted to be sure! :rolleyes: Sometimes we get only one chance to save a friend from a possible headache! Have you tagged it yet? I'll be at home in April.

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
Oh! I went back and looked; that green frame in the pix is NOT yours. Yeah, it looked like an unlikely move for you, what with the SAAB stuff thrown in for added confusion, but I just wanted to be sure! :rolleyes: Sometimes we get only one chance to save a friend from a possible headache! Have you tagged it yet? I'll be at home in April.
Flywheel side toward the flywheel:D

95Blitz

Yes sir tagged.

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
Only one piece needs the slot, one will just need the bolt hole. Other than that looks great.
One slot was my first thought. It would be a lot easier with just one slot and a drilled hole instead of milled slot. But it would not give me enough movement and weak the part unnecessary.

Last edited: