SS/SC AC Compressor - Can I remove it?

finazzoty

O
I saw one on the Facebook Cobalt Parts group and I was too late to buy it. It was a bracket that had a pulley that went in place of the A/C compressor for SC vehicles. Apparently they used to make one.
Oh do they not anymore? Could have sworn they were all over Amazon, eBay etc

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
Is there a AC pulley replacement for the LSJ? I just don't have the option to go with an empty AC compressor, since I don't got the compressor with my engine.

Otherwise, I have already an idea how to design my own AC replacement which allows for different SC pulleys as well.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Is there a AC pulley replacement for the LSJ? I just don't have the option to go with an empty AC compressor, since I don't got the compressor with my engine.

Otherwise, I have already an idea how to design my own AC replacement which allows for different SC pulleys as well.
All the A/C compressors are the same so a dead one ain't too hard to come by! Gutting the compressor only saves the weight of the guts, the guts are only engaged when the electro clutch is energized; so a junk compressor is already just a heavy idler pully.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
All the A/C compressors are the same so a dead one ain't too hard to come by! Gutting the compressor only saves the weight of the guts, the guts are only engaged when the electro clutch is energized; so a junk compressor is already just a heavy idler pully.
The compressors might be the same but the 6 rib pulley is needed to run the full belt or you have to cut a rib off and risk more belt slippage using a non LSJ compressor.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
The compressors might be the same but the 6 rib pulley is needed to run the full belt or you have to cut a rib off and risk more belt slippage using a non LSJ compressor.
OUCH! Thanks for that info! Even those 6 rib type compressors are probably easier to find than a now extinct kit!

mike_sno

Goblin Guru

First draft of a AC delection braket.

Don´t really like the design yet, but wanted to get something started. Waiting on the pulley to be delivered...

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Just curious, are you not worried about the arm moving around in relation to the base? My serpentine belt has a decent amount of tension on it. Enough that it would probably cause that joint to move.

Last edited:

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
I would try to use all three compressor mounting points on the block and maybe delete adjustability? I believe moving your idler pulley axle away from the block horizontally but not down, would maintain belt wrap around the crank pulley. You may get more wrap by moving that new idler up as well, if it is smaller in diameter than the A/C pulley. The major complaint I've heard about S/C cars is belt slippage and too little adjustment built in, though it seems that little shock absorber is very important. I've heard some complaints that the double sided belts apparently Do Not come in a wide variety of sizes! So Beware, any changes in pulley sizes can lead to belt length problems. I have never surveyed the length possibilities personally but I'd rather you find "My info is old and no longer a stumbling block" than hear later you had to redesign more bits to regain function.

95Blitz

Weld on the alternator so it will actually spin backwards? Correct or just swap the pulley.

Does the non-LSJ belt tensioner have a wider pulley or does it just work as is? works as is

This probably works find for stock pulley, but going down I doubt you'll have enough wrap to not get belt slip. That's a 50% wrap, you could make the top pulley smaller and make the bottom pulley adjustable for more vertical movement to get more/the same with a smaller blower pulley.

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
Just curious, are you not worried about the arm moving around in relation to the base? My serpentine belt has a decent amount of tension on it. Enough that it would probably cause that joint to move.
Not really, but there is one way to find out. The way the belt runs, there should not be to much torque around the joint and It's an M10 or 12 screw. Worse case I can mill a little grove in it and lock it in place, but I doubt that is necessary.

@Gtstorey No, not 3D printed. LOL. 3D designed and milled out of 6061 Aluminum which I have laying around.

@ah.b.normal I saw some gutted AC compressors and they did not use the 3rd mounting point. That made me believe I don't need that. I was concerned about the tipping force (torque around the mounting holes to the engine). I would like to keep the adjust ability for the exact fact you describe.

@95Blitz What engine is that? I don't quite understand what you welded on the shaft of the alternator. Why wouldn't the stock work?
I think your design has some charme, I could build a bracket which mounts under the Top screw of the alternator and holds the extra idle pulley.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
@95Blitz What engine is that? I don't quite understand what you welded on the shaft of the alternator. Why wouldn't the stock work?
I think your design has some charme, I could build a bracket which mounts under the Top screw of the alternator and holds the extra idle pulley.
LSJ. LSJ alternator has some overrun something or other. Can't remember what its called. But basically it slips one direction, but not in the other. So you can only turn it one way unless you do what he did and weld it, or replace the pulley entirely. Electrically there's nothing wrong with running these alternators backwards.

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
ahh, yes, right I remember. Many alternator have that, if not all ?? It Is used when you switch gears and go from higher belt speed to lower belt speed. The alternator will just follow the speed change without being harshly forced to change speed. Not really sure what problem is solved with that free spin, but I am sure if it wasn‘t necessary car manufactures would not do it.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
ahh, yes, right I remember. Many alternator have that, if not all ?? It Is used when you switch gears and go from higher belt speed to lower belt speed. The alternator will just follow the speed change without being harshly forced to change speed. Not really sure what problem is solved with that free spin, but I am sure if it wasn‘t necessary car manufactures would not do it.
Right, it just keeps everything operating a little smoother. Helpful for a belt driven supercharger. The non supercharged Cobalt's alternators do not have this feature. This video illustrates the difference:

Ross

Goblin Guru
When the LSJ needs electricity, the pulley will transfer power from the belt to the alternator. When you chop the throttle, the alternator pulley will freewheel,
With this feature, the threads on the alternator pulley are tightened when charging.
Without this feature, my pulley unthreaded from the alternator as soon as I got off the throttle.
This thread explores the overrunning / decoupler pulley.