SS/SC AC delete belt part number?

Andy

Anybody take the AC compressor off and get a new belt for the SC ecotec yet? Just looking for a part number if you have it? I think all SC came with AC so no easy way to find it.

PHerder

A/C compressor is at the lower right of both diagrams. The 2.2/2.4L just needs a shorter belt.

The 2.0L needs a pulley to replace the A/C compressor OR just leave the compressor in place (read somewhere that it becomes a 10 lb. pulley if you don't gut the compressor). You can see that the alternator pulley is in the way for just a shorter belt (the alternator is the center right pulley in the 2.0L diagram).

Andy

Cool thanks is it worth gutting? Not sure what type of pump it uses but might save 10 pounds gutting it max. Anyone do this? Wondering what the hassle is vs reward.

Andy

Awesome guys tried searching but didn't find anything, thanks for the link. How do you like the SC goblin? Enough power? I keep thinking I am going to get a smaller pulley so I can get up to the turbo power 250 hp to ease any of my power lust regardless if it is right or not. Still need to tear the dash down and rework the harness then I will be working on the engine.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Following AleX1/9 lead, I gutted my AC compressor. After carefully looking at the parts, I agree with Alex, that 2 bolts is sufficient to hold the compressor frame, and the one sealed bearing is sufficient support for the pulley. That one bearing is stock, and works fine.

AleX1/9

Ross taking it to the next level blocking off the back!

I love finding everyday items like the tin can to incorporate like that. I used SOLO cup bottoms to cap off the front knuckle / bearing hole

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Following AleX1/9 lead, I gutted my AC compressor. After carefully looking at the parts, I agree with Alex, that 2 bolts is sufficient to hold the compressor frame, and the one sealed bearing is sufficient support for the pulley. That one bearing is stock, and works fine.
last line - "plug it back in and I am good to go". hilarious......... :)

Parson Green

There's a better way of taking tension off of that serpentine belt. The procedure is initiated by popping a plastic cap off the front of a pully. Try it, you'll like it.

Ross

Goblin Guru
There's a better way of taking tension off of that serpentine belt. The procedure is initiated by popping a plastic cap off the front of a pully. Try it, you'll like it.
I did. I put a big torq bit in the center bolt and used my flex bar to rotate counter clockwise. It loosened the belt tension, then suddenly released the spring tensioner when the center bolt broke loose. I must have done something wrong... but I tightened the center bolt, and went to plan B.

Parson Green

I did. I put a big torq bit in the center bolt and used my flex bar to rotate counter clockwise. It loosened the belt tension, then suddenly released the spring tensioner when the center bolt broke loose. I must have done something wrong... but I tightened the center bolt, and went to plan B.
That center bolt does indeed need to be sufficiently tight such that the spring inside the tensioner can be overcome. And hey, you didn't try to pry the belt off/on with a screwdriver. And yes, have seen evidence that has been attempted. (Maybe by some Texas Aggie...??)

Last edited:

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
That center bolt does indeed need to be sufficiently tight such that the spring inside the tensioner can be overcome. And hey, you didn't try to pry the belt off/on with a screwdriver. And yes, have seen evidence that has been attempted. (Maybe by some Texas Aggie...??)
ouch