SS/SC AC Pump (Pulley)

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I'm debating doing a 5->6 rib conversion on my pulleys if I upgrade my 2.2 internals to handle more boost. The ZZP belt routing for the 2.2 SC kit requires the AC pulley. I'm using a gutted AC pump as a pulley. Easiest way I can think of to go 6 rib is getting my hands on an LSJ 6 rib pulley.

Do any of you SS/SC guys have your old AC pump lying around?

jirwin

Goblin Guru
That one may be easier to find at a Pick-n-Pull. The LSJ belt routing doesn't let us eliminate the A/C unit. Most of us just gut the compressor and use the pulley as an idler pulley.
I guess I didn't realize SS/SC used it as well. Darn.

You'll want the crank pulley too if you don't already have one.
Yep, I can buy all of them relatively cheap on RockAuto, minus the AC. Now that I know its kept, pick and pull it is!

RCK605

Will going to a 6 rib from 5 rib really gain you that much? Are you already seeing belt slip on your current setup? Does Griptec or any aftermarket company make supercharger pulleys with higher friction for these cars?

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Will going to a 6 rib from 5 rib really gain you that much? Are you already seeing belt slip on your current setup? Does Griptec or any aftermarket company make supercharger pulleys with higher friction for these cars?
Fair point. I just kind of assumed it would. If I rebuild the engine, it's not much more money and work to go 6 rib, so why not I guess? I know 6 won't slip since that's what the LSJ came with, but I'm unsure about 5.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
A lot of whether it will slip or not comes down to belt wrap on the SC pulley. How many degrees of the SC pulley has belt contact. I have always heard you should get as much of you boost increase by going bigger on the crank pulley as you can anyway.