SS/SC Factory End Plate on the intake.

Ross

Goblin Guru
The end of the intake is the piston. It is cast aluminum.
Not really sure what end you are talking about.

95Blitz

The plate that the water runs through to cool the intake air charge. You know duel pass end plate...

Ross

Goblin Guru
Oh, that also is cast aluminum on the stock GM part.
That is the intercooler end plate.

95Blitz

Yeah that thing, well that will be fun to weld on.. Any idea how thick the plate is where it's over the 2nd laminova tube from the top. Page 4 I'm guessing an 1/8" or so?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
May I suggest the aluminum brazing rods if aluminum welding is not possible. I've been reviewing this process and am looking to make an aluminum water tank for my car, since I got a quote to have a tank made and it was ridiculously expensive ($450). :mad:
Here is one of many videos about using the brazing rods and propane torch. Check it out and see if this would be an alternative for your dual pass plate project. :)

95Blitz

Thanks DS I have forgotten about brazing, I might give that a shot if I don't think i can TIG it. I should have my plate off in the next few days.

95Blitz

So I decided to drill and tap the end plate. The aluminum is .152 inches thick or just over 2 threads thick for 1/2 NPT. Not sure how long it will hang out but i'm going to give it a try.
endplate.jpgendplate2.jpg

Ross

Goblin Guru
Worth a try Steven!

Anybody have any spare stock end plate(s) they are willing to sell? I am wanting to TIG weld an aluminum block on it, and see if we can make it into a dual pass, or even weld the other end plate, and make a single pass one. Cast aluminum is difficult to weld to, but I have been learning some new techniques to increase success, and I have recently upgraded my digital TIG with a water cooled torch.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Considering the system only pressurizes to 1-3lbs (depending on your cap), that should work. Even better if there was a way to get a pipe thread nut on there.

Ross

Goblin Guru
The oil and water jacket get up to 205F, then my fan kicks on... once in a rare while. You debating using plastic? The water in the intercooler doesn't get that hot (for my stock SC LSJ, it gets warm, say 15F above abient temp.) so it would keep the part cool, and DF supplies plastic elbows on the radiator side of the intercooler, so you should be fine.

95Blitz

I thought about 3D printing a fitting but changed my mind. I broke the Tig out at work and did my best. I made a plug that fit into the drilled and tapped hole. Then started in with the Tig. It doesn't look to bad plus the oil filter housing should cover most of it up.
20200923_124414.jpg20200923_124422.jpg