SS/SC vs SS/TC

finazzoty

The one large downside is that I'm looking at roughly $1,600 - $1,800 for transport as I am not in the same state as the car. Ideally, what is a reasonable amount to spend on a supercharged SS donor?

TravMac

I think you'll find that most people have different experiences with tracking down their doners. I think mine was a steal - bought in driving condition with 188k miles for 2k right down the road from me. However, some others have been much higher and flew across the country for pickup. It doesn't help that these are becoming somewhat more sought after and used car prices right now are incredibly high (I'm even looking for another daily ha). I'd still consider between $2500 and $4000 right now a pretty decent deal for a running, driving car.

All that said consider what the cost of replacement parts of an auction car will be vs used running price. if there is a damage concern with the engine/trans/cradle on a front end impact car, you might be better off spending the money on a nicer doner rather than in replacement parts. Rear ended candidates are your best friend looking through the auctions.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I got a pretty solid deal on mine, $1200 and all it needed in the drivetrain was wheel bearings (which I was buying anyway). It also didn't have a title and the body was pretty rough, neither of which concerned me (don't need a title to scrap an '07 or older in my state). But, I had been watching donors for at least a few months, so not only did I look at every possible donor, I also had a pretty good idea of the market. If you have a truck or access to one, a Uhaul trailer is like $60 for a day, which is a pretty cost effective way of expanding your search radius.

finazzoty

So the good news is, I won the auction and am currently arranging for delivery. The bad news is, I had previously arranged for IAAI to handle transport, but they cancelled the delivery saying that they will not deliver a car that won't roll on/off the truck bed. -- I'm looking at using Haul Match for transport now, but they say that the customer is responsible for unloading at the delivery location, and unfortunately I don't have a forklift (they say they won't let me winch it off either). Does anyone know of any other transport companies that will either allow me to winch it off or will handle unloading?

Brett

I had a similar issue and tracked down a flat bed wreaker that was willing to work with me. Granted, my purchase from IAAI was local so I didn't have to do a long distance shipping.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
You may be able to have it delivered to a local salvage yard that is willing to forklift it off and place it on a flatbed truck that can then offload it at your house.