Stage 2 Help

PHENDERSON

Hi everyone,

While waiting for the build videos and feeling a little overwhelmed looking at all the parts in front of me for the stage 2 I'm hoping for some advice.

What is the correct sequence for assembly? I'd like to know what order to put things together so I don't end up having to undo something in the future and then redo it.

Thanks in advance!

Ross

Goblin Guru
I followed the old build videos for the first half, (The new build videos didn't exist back then) and gained the confidence to do my own order of assembly for the last half of the videos. I did my own customizations to some sections, so I was building "off the menu" at that point.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Don't be skeert, jump on in an git'r'done. Bolting things together should be the easy part. Don't over think it, there are a couple hundred other builds that have been completed without the need for videos. :D

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Stage 2 gets the car rolling essentially. The way I would approach this is working from the center of the vehicle towards the outside, bottom to top as well. Please don't use this as the definitive step by step approach, but this is how I would approach it based on the list of Stage 2 parts from the website:

Heat Exchanger
Shifter
Master Cylinder
Steering Column (steering rack as well if not done already)
Steering Wheel
Front upper and lower control arms
Front Coilovers
Front uprights
Front brakes
Front braided brake hoses
Rear toe link rack
Rear brakes
Rear braided brake hoses
Intercooler assembly (pumps, piping, mounts, A2W intercooler, etc.)
Intake assembly (MAP and MAF tubes, Turbo t-bolt clamps, intake couplers, filter, etc.)

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I generally worked front to back, nothing in @r3drckt 's list jumped out at me as a big difference from my progress. I would just recommend laying parts out for the step that you're going to tackle and considering what else is going on in that area. I ended up removing my installed radiator to get my heat exchanger in, then reinstalling the radiator (although I ordered all at once and can't recall if those are technically both Stage 2).

Just pick a system to install, one at a time, and then don't be surprised when you have a car before you know it!

PHENDERSON

I appreciate the advice. I'm a mechanical engineer and a bit of a perfectionist which holds me back from just jumping in and winging it. I think once I have a chance to lay everything out in an organized fashion it won't seem so bad.

Anyway, I'm still stuck trying to get my transmission back on the block so I can mount it to the frame...can't get the stupid splines to line up.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
The old videos were sufficient for me to get mine built, and if I can do it, literally anybody can. The videos run out before the car is done, but my then, I had the confidence to finish it without help.

Beware though, the old series is based off a 2.2 automatic donor, so it's missing some things, like the clutch master cylinder install.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I appreciate the advice. I'm a mechanical engineer and a bit of a perfectionist which holds me back from just jumping in and winging it. I think once I have a chance to lay everything out in an organized fashion it won't seem so bad.

Anyway, I'm still stuck trying to get my transmission back on the block so I can mount it to the frame...can't get the stupid splines to line up.
You could try putting an axle or jack shaft into the transmission output and turn it slightly one way or the other - making sure the transmission is in a gear - while installing it onto the block. :D May need an extra set of hands to do this.

Sparvy

If you did the clutch make sure the alignment tool is perfect/nearly perfect. I wrestled with getting my transmission splines to engage for awhile before I redid it. After I realigned the clutch it went back together within 5 minutes. A second set of hands and or a jack to get the right angle helps a lot.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Do you have a clutch alignment tool? You can 3d print one or you can approximate one with an amalgamation of sockets and extensions. Loosen the pressure plate up first to make it easier to move the clutch disk around, and then tighten with the alignment tool still installed.

PHENDERSON

Yeah, I have one. I used it when installing the clutch and pressure plate and everything looks straight. I think I need to try a new approach. Right now my engine is hanging on a picker and can swing a bit and my trans is on a dolley. I have tried lowering the engine down to the trans level and then propping the trans up and aligning it with the engine. Definitely not the best way. I think I'm going to put the engine on a more stable stand so it can't move and then hoist the trans up and try that.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
You can get the transmission close to the correct position and then put a couple of long bolts through the transmission bolt holes and into the engine to help align everything. Do not use the bolts to pull the engine and transmission together.