Starter stud broke

dastrups

Anybody know how to replace the copper stud on the starter solenoid that the positive cable hooks up to? I make a lousy mechanic. I brake more than I fix. I always way over tighten stuff and I have stripped or sheared off more bolts and nuts than I care to admit. Tonight is just one of those nights. I imagine I will just have to buy another starter. Thought I would reach out to you guys.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Anybody know how to replace the copper stud on the starter solenoid that the positive cable hooks up to? I make a lousy mechanic. I brake more than I fix. I always way over tighten stuff and I have stripped or sheared off more bolts and nuts than I care to admit. Tonight is just one of those nights. I imagine I will just have to buy another starter. Thought I would reach out to you guys.
Just a suggestion and please don't take this as a bad comment for your skills. Get a set of torque wrenches from harbor freight to match the size of the socket set you may have. Using them, when set to the published torque for a connection, will help give you a 'feel' for the amount of torque needed and help prevent stripping and breaking bolts. The 'feel' for not over torquing is something learned over time and building a Goblin is a great start. :D

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Those plastic mounts on the starters are junk. Ours broke just looking at it, the plastic was so brittle and dry.

dastrups

Just a suggestion and please don't take this as a bad comment for your skills. Get a set of torque wrenches from harbor freight to match the size of the socket set you may have. Using them, when set to the published torque for a connection, will help give you a 'feel' for the amount of torque needed and help prevent stripping and breaking bolts. The 'feel' for not over torquing is something learned over time and building a Goblin is a great start. :D
I hear ya. I bought a cheap one from harbor freight for up to 100 lb/ft and I have a small one for in/lbs but I didn’t use it for everything. I really do lack that feel for torque spec. I have even stripped things with the proper torque spec that DF lists on a few things. I wonder if the torque wrench is not calibrated correctly or just a cheap POS. I’m sure it’s a bit of operater error though. Seems like it would be cut and dry but somehow I manage to screw it up.

dastrups

They sell just the starter solenoid.
If your signature had your donor car, I would have looked up your exact solenoid....
I just bought a new starter. Lesson learned. What a learning process. Wish I would have watched my Dad more as a kid.

Lndshrk Steve

Late reply. I've busted a flywheel bolt doing an engine swap a few years back. The lighter settings (35 ft/lbs) sometimes don't click as loud as a 100 ft/lb setting. You can usually feel it better than hearing it. I've seen the Harbor Freight torque wrenches being used in military settings, but they do get calibrated annually. Just a note for others reading this that may have a problem.

KSLunsfo

About ready to invest in a digital torque wrench. I have sheared a few bolts on this project.
If looking to invest in a nice one do a little research first... I have both mechanical and digital torque wrenches. Gotta say I still like the "click" from a mechanical torque wrench. If going digital, I would try to get one that makes an audible beep or chime to indicate you've reached your set point.

Dale E

Does this one look right? Take the part number to your local auto supply and have them cross reference. About page 4 it said it fits a 2008 Cobalt 2.0 turbo.