State to state title transfer of Goblin's

baustin

My experience doesn't cover transfer of a title directly but I did fully register mine in North Carolina. I've had 2 yearly inspections so far and I live in an emissions county. As long as I don't have a check engine light then they haven't cared. On all my paperwork describing what I built, I clearly listed that the catalytic and EVAP portions were not kept from the Cobalt, I was reusing some parts from the donor not keeping everything. My experience matches Wes', no EVAP parts, no catalytic convertor, no problems. Only drawback that I ran into but I don't think others from NC exactly had: it took over 11 months from when I submitted my title application to when I received my title; submitted shortly before COVID lockdowns and it went to the DMV special vehicle titles division.

The only actual thing that mattered to them once there were folks to work on the application, the frame VIN wasn't sufficient (not sure if length or number code meaning) so the license and theft bureau affixed 2 permanant VIN stickers to my frame. 1 is directly beside the DF kit car plate (driver side on the angle bracket above the fuel tank) and they put the other 1 on the tube frame near the clutch and were kind enough to put it hidden on the underside of 1 of the tubes. I would guess that this step would be bypassed since I was doing it from scratch instead of transferring from an recognized VIN.

ehagerty

My experience doesn't cover transfer of a title directly but I did fully register mine in North Carolina. I've had 2 yearly inspections so far and I live in an emissions county. As long as I don't have a check engine light then they haven't cared. On all my paperwork describing what I built, I clearly listed that the catalytic and EVAP portions were not kept from the Cobalt, I was reusing some parts from the donor not keeping everything. My experience matches Wes', no EVAP parts, no catalytic convertor, no problems. Only drawback that I ran into but I don't think others from NC exactly had: it took over 11 months from when I submitted my title application to when I received my title; submitted shortly before COVID lockdowns and it went to the DMV special vehicle titles division.

The only actual thing that mattered to them once there were folks to work on the application, the frame VIN wasn't sufficient (not sure if length or number code meaning) so the license and theft bureau affixed 2 permanant VIN stickers to my frame. 1 is directly beside the DF kit car plate (driver side on the angle bracket above the fuel tank) and they put the other 1 on the tube frame near the clutch and were kind enough to put it hidden on the underside of 1 of the tubes. I would guess that this step would be bypassed since I was doing it from scratch instead of transferring from an recognized VIN.
Awesome...thanks! How did you get around a "no engine light"? Tune or code it out?

baustin

HPTuners

Also clarifying since I think some other states work differently: even though I had to wait nearly a year to receive the actual title, NC gives the license plate when you turn in the application so I was able to drive immediately.