TravMac

Quite a few people have been using Steel-it (including myself). Now while I don't have many miles on the car yet, I have seen it's abrasion resistance in action. It also covers nicely if you need to add anything and can paint right over the old stuff without it looking odd. It is very prone to overspray though, so you have to be careful when applying

PaulPerger

I haven't started painting mine yet, but I bought a case of Steel-It. I am using the Gray color, and haven't painted yet, but from all of my research on the stuff, it appears to be really good.

I decided to use it because I know I am going to want to weld on this frame in the future and with Steel It, I can. Very easily and very nicely.

TravMac

I found a pretty good picture of my car showing how it looks under garage lights. The red harbor freight seat and white panels give an idea for color too on the grey. I've seen the black, and can only imagine it will sit similarly on the frame. It's really a matte finish, and quite chip resistant. It can scratch, but can be painted over very easily without seeing a difference. If you search through the forum, a few folks have welded with it and resprayed with no issue.

1652790725218.png

PaulPerger

I found a pretty good picture of my car showing how it looks under garage lights. The red harbor freight seat and white panels give an idea for color too on the grey. I've seen the black, and can only imagine it will sit similarly on the frame. It's really a matte finish, and quite chip resistant. It can scratch, but can be painted over very easily without seeing a difference. If you search through the forum, a few folks have welded with it and resprayed with no issue.

View attachment 32986
How did you prep your frame before painting it? Did you use Rattle cans, or quarts?

TravMac

I went over it all with a heavy grit sand paper first. I think it was 40 or 60? Then we sand blasted some of it by hand that couldn't get in the corners well. Honestly, if we had better equipment, sand blasting it all would have been the ticket! Then the whole thing got a good wipe down with alcohol. After that, it was rattle cans. Again, lots of overspray, but it was also quite warm out when this was done. I'd suggest doing it section at a time, and do some kind of masking or backing to keep overspray down. Do some test tubes off car to see how it works since everyone sprays a little different. I used a fine sand paper to knock off any overspray that still remained, and resprayed over to clean up the surface. Again, turned out great and can't even tell where was touched up!

PaulPerger

I went over it all with a heavy grit sand paper first. I think it was 40 or 60? Then we sand blasted some of it by hand that couldn't get in the corners well. Honestly, if we had better equipment, sand blasting it all would have been the ticket! Then the whole thing got a good wipe down with alcohol. After that, it was rattle cans. Again, lots of overspray, but it was also quite warm out when this was done. I'd suggest doing it section at a time, and do some kind of masking or backing to keep overspray down. Do some test tubes off car to see how it works since everyone sprays a little different. I used a fine sand paper to knock off any overspray that still remained, and resprayed over to clean up the surface. Again, turned out great and can't even tell where was touched up!
Thanks. That's about what I plan to do, so I am glad to hear it worked. I am considering building a DIY sand blaster and blasting it in my back yard. I live in South Florida and the spent sand will blend in well in my yard, so I may just do it...