Steering rack threads

Lokian

Is there a minimum thread length for the steering rack to outer tie rod the be ok? About 5/8ths

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Ideally 1.5 times the diameter of the threaded rod if you are following engineering design principles.
Real world is not always ideal though. Do not go less than 1x the diameter.

KSLunsfo

This is really driven by the toe part of your alignment. Thread on both the driver's side and passenger's side outer tie rods the same number of threads. Start with say 10-12 threads on each side (roughly where I recall starting out). Adjust each side evenly as possible till the front wheels are reasonably squared up. You'll refine alignment later...

Basically if you can get the front wheels squared up pretty well and have at least 1x diameter threads engaged on each side you should be fine. (though I'd want more than 1x)

If you DON'T have at least 1x diameter, you might have something weird going on and may need longer inner or outer tie rods. But that's not likely to happen here as long as you have the right parts...

Lokian

The rack is pretty squared. Squared off the tires by centering the steering rack, then using string around the car to square the front and then using toe plates to get close to 1/8th toe in. Using both tie rods the same with toe plates once squared. I should have about 1x threads left.