Steering shaft disassembly

finazzoty

I apologize if this is in the wrong thread - I could not find one specific to steering.

Has anyone every pulled apart the U joints on the Cobalt steering shaft? I’d like to powder coat it, but don’t want to heat those cross bearings up when I go to cure it

Ive never seen this type of cross bearing retaining methodology (without retaining clips). Any thoughts?

Attachments

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Never heard of anyone disassembling those joints. It looks like the caps are "staked" in. You might be able to grind the stake points out and then re-stake with a chisel.

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
Staked or crimped universal joints do not have snap rings. They are held in place by staking or crimping the lip of the yokes over. to hold the universal joint cup in place. Also know as the “non- repairable” or “non-rebuildable” universal joints.

Scott #321

My steering shaft was seized to the point that I drilled out the staked portion of the slip yolk to separate it (required beating it nearly to death) and clean it out. I just painted it black lubed and reinstalled it now moves freely. I figured if I destroyed it taking it apart I was in no worse place than where I started as it was unusable as removed from the Cobalt.