Steering shaft to clutch pedal clearance

Sparvy

So I've hit my first major snag on assembly. The steering shaft hits the clutch pedal assembly near one of the position switches quite badly. If it were just shaving the plastic down a bit I'd be fine but to align the shaft to the column I need to chop off so much material that it would be half way through the switch pad. Has anyone found a work around for this?

I've considered bending the 2 mounting brackets and that's the only good solution I've come up with. Let me know if you have run into this issue and what you did to solve it. On another note I ordered another shaft as well as penetrant and hammering on it have produces less than ideal results.

Attachments

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
A combo of both... A little bending and a little grinding will get it done. Mine was the same way.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Angling the steering column mount to move the steering shaft/steering wheel more toward the outside - and point it at the drivers seat - will move the steering shaft more into the gap between the clutch pedal arm and brake pedal arm. Little if any grinding should be needed and it should then clear the switch.

Sparvy

Thanks guys...a little bit of all 3 and I've got plenty of room now. The powdercoating even bent with the mounts without cracking.