Steering shaft touches things

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Regarding #2: A lot of people, including myself, have had to trim more off the bulkhead to avoid the steering shaft knuckle hitting it.

HOBGOBLIN

Regarding #2: A lot of people, including myself, have had to trim more off the bulkhead to avoid the steering shaft knuckle hitting it.
I figured that would be the answer there I was just thinking maybe I got something wrong because I have 2 issues not just one

Murcielago311

I just discovered I have the same two issues last night. Must be an '06 SS thing. Unless we both did something wrong, ha.

Found this from DF in an older post:
With the pedal assembly bolted up you need to push away on the top an pull on the bottom to position the pedal far enough away from the steering shaft that it does not hit the ujoint when fully depressed.

You will also need to remove some of the brake switch pad to clear the steering shaft.

Last edited:

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
For what it's worth, I just double-checked my 08 SS/TC clutch pedal, and while it's pretty close, it does clear. So it must be an 05-07 thing.

HOBGOBLIN

I just discovered I have the same two issues last night. Must be an '06 SS thing. Unless we both did something wrong, ha.

Found this from DF in an older post:
With the pedal assembly bolted up you need to push away on the top an pull on the bottom to position the pedal far enough away from the steering shaft that it does not hit the ujoint when fully depressed.

You will also need to remove some of the brake switch pad to clear the steering shaft.
so mine doesn’t hit the knuckle it the switch pad. So it looks like the old sawsall will get some action

Indy Lonnie

I had to grind on mine with a Dremel also... 2009 SS.
FYI... Its tight in there. When my foot is too high on the clutch pedal, I can feel the u-joints on the steering shaft.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
You can easily gain a little clearance by pushing the top of the pedal assembly away from you while pulling the bottom away from the steering shaft. You will still need to clearance a little though. Clearance a little at a time and keep rechecking so you don't loose you switch pad.

ToxicBill

i can also validate that the clutch pedal touches the steering shaft pretty significantly on the 06 SS . . . time to get to grinding

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
You can gain quite a bit of clearance by pulling the bottom of the clutch pedal out while pushing the top in to bend it away from the steering shaft.
Then grind a little as necessary.