Steering Stop options?

KLMOTORSPORTS

Would be interested to try a set of the aluminum spacers! Just not sure how thick they need to be.

My steering goes about 3 turns of the steering wheel....2 turn stop (I believe) would be about right

George

Goblin Guru
Look a post 15 of thread in Karter's picture you will see a split collar you can get from McMaster or Grainger
install a 1/2 one of the correct id and test if it is not enough install another until the right side is has the correct stop point. Then you will know the thickness of the left.

Brad

KLMOTORSPORTS

Look a post 15 of thread in Karter's picture you will see a split collar you can get from McMaster or Grainger
install a 1/2 one of the correct id and test if it is not enough install another until the right side is has the correct stop point. Then you will know the thickness of the left.

Brad
Perfect, will do!

KLMOTORSPORTS

My steering rack must be a little different (years or models different?...not sure) than other (bought rebuilt from Detroit Axle), but a 7/8” ID split collar works perfect on each side (1/2” thick).

Lock to lock steering about 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 turns...perfect for me....PROBLEM SOLVED!
D6798DCB-44DA-44B6-B08A-CBE457A19BDC.jpeg
73CD8435-C769-4DBD-9A7F-9431EAB099ED.jpeg

Last edited:

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
While designing steering travel limiters for the Cobalt steering racks I learned something new. I had noticed that some of our shop cars would rub the control arms and some would not. I had blamed it on wheel diameter and offset.

What I found is SS racks have .5" less travel in each direction compared to base racks.
I am sure they did this because the SS models come with wider tires.

To find out which rack you have, bottom out the rack in one direction and then count how many turns it takes to bottom out in the other direction.
SS is less than 3 full turns and base models are more than three full turns.

This is the base model spacer. 3/4 inch thick. You will need two, one for each side.

This is the SS spacer. 1/4 inch thick.

I made a set and installed it in Adam's Goblin last week. It keeps the wheel about an inch from the control arm.
It wasn't as tough to install them as I thought it would be.

It is nice driving Adam's Goblin without worrying about the wheels rubbing. His wheels must be different than what my orange Goblin had because my wheels never rubbed the control arms.

I will have both styles machined and ready to ship in about six weeks.
When they are ready I will post here with some instructions and have adam add them to the store.

Attachments

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
It keeps the washer. The washer has a rubber part that I think is supposed to cushion when it bumps.

KSLunsfo

When they are ready I will post here with some instructions and have adam add them to the store.
@Lonny I know it's only been 4 weeks at this point, is it still looking like these will be available in a couple weeks? I'm curious since I was just about to start finding a way to address this and found this post in my initial research. I've already rubbed one of my control arms a bit :(.

jayrolls

While designing steering travel limiters for the Cobalt steering racks I learned something new. I had noticed that some of our shop cars would rub the control arms and some would not. I had blamed it on wheel diameter and offset.

What I found is SS racks have .5" less travel in each direction compared to base racks.
I am sure they did this because the SS models come with wider tires.

To find out which rack you have, bottom out the rack in one direction and then count how many turns it takes to bottom out in the other direction.
SS is less than 3 full turns and base models are more than three full turns.

This is the base model spacer. 3/4 inch thick. You will need two, one for each side.

This is the SS spacer. 1/4 inch thick.
View attachment 24449

I made a set and installed it in Adam's Goblin last week. It keeps the wheel about an inch from the control arm.
It wasn't as tough to install them as I thought it would be.

It is nice driving Adam's Goblin without worrying about the wheels rubbing. His wheels must be different than what my orange Goblin had because my wheels never rubbed the control arms.

I would like to get theses for the SS rack when available for #323.