Sticky tires+ road rocks= need new mirrors

lksohm

So, after a season and >4000 miles of using the donor's street tires I upgraded to some toyo proxes. Within the first 2 miles of driving I had broken both of my side mirrors from road rocks. Granted, the roads are still being cleared of all the winter's accumulation, but still, I hadn't even made it out of the 1 sq. mile town I live in...
At this rate I will be fixing this a lot. I can't be the only one who has run into this issue.
What are some fixes?
I was thinking of getting new mirrors anyway that have the turn signal on the mirror side anyway. Maybe I could cover the glass with a piece of polycarbonate to protect them.

What wisdom do the elders have for me?

Attachments

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Strange. I'm running the exact same tires (with no fenders) and I haven't had a problem yet. Granted I'm using the "stock" mirrors and it looks like you aren't (or maybe you are? Hard to tell.) Bigger mirror bigger target?

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
So, after a season and >4000 miles of using the donor's street tires I upgraded to some toyo proxes. Within the first 2 miles of driving I had broken both of my side mirrors from road rocks. Granted, the roads are still being cleared of all the winter's accumulation, but still, I hadn't even made it out of the 1 sq. mile town I live in...
At this rate I will be fixing this a lot. I can't be the only one who has run into this issue.
What are some fixes?
I was thinking of getting new mirrors anyway that have the turn signal on the mirror side anyway. Maybe I could cover the glass with a piece of polycarbonate to protect them.

What wisdom do the elders have for me?
The Proxes R1R are great tires. I have had others follow me down the road and have to fall back because the tires threw up rocks just in normal driving.
Wait till you get some stickier ones then you really need to look out!!!!!......... ;)

Corgithulhu

I've got Falken RT615k's. It's usually my face that catches those rocks, that's a lot of why I usually drive it with a helmet. The body has caught relatively little of the bigger pebbles, usually just the normal road dust and grime that kicks up.

Dsteinhorst

My main complaint with the Goblin is the rocks. It's the reason I usually suggest higher treadwear tires for those not looking to race. It's July before the road is clear enough around here.

My RT 660s throw a lot more rocks than my old Continentals did.

It's just a function of the design. I imagine fenders cut down on it a bit.

lksohm

Strange. I'm running the exact same tires (with no fenders) and I haven't had a problem yet. Granted I'm using the "stock" mirrors and it looks like you aren't (or maybe you are? Hard to tell.) Bigger mirror bigger target?
I'm running the mirrors that come with the DF kit so OEM*
The culprits are the rear tires that are R888Rs

There is a chance that it is vandalism but that is quite unlikely. I didn't see them actually break, just noticed that they were both broken after we stopped to grab a bite in town.
20220319_213949.jpg20220319_214023.jpg

Pretty odd that I'm the only one with this issue seemingly immediately after getting these tires.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Ahh, I'm running the R1Rs all the way around. Just picked a rock out of my tire while looking lol. Maybe I'm just lucky

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I would be surprised if both mirrors were broken by rocks in just a few miles unless you noticed rocks flying everywhere.