Stonewerks’ Track Goblin - 09 LT donor, Michigan Build #272

Goblin Graber

Do you plan on buying new hubs? If so you don’t need any of that other than the nuts that hold the hubs to the axle. I went 5x114 hubs from DF so I just got 8 new nuts from the hardware store. Never even took the rear wheels off the car.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
The brake shoes could be hanging up on the drums.
You will need to spin the adjuster with a flat blade screwdriver from a little window from the back side of the backing plate. You will need to move the adjuster with the screwdriver behind the rubber plug #4.
2011-10-22_210055_cobalt.gif

Stonewerks

Well did not now!
Misplaced hammer blow and hit a lug square. punched it right out.

We have been working on it all day, so this seems like a good stopping point for the night. Really wanted to get this last bit done as that would wrap up video 8 and the end of the deconstruction phase. We had wanted to have this milestone done before we ordered our kit, but I think we are close enough and will be contacting DF this week to get our name on the list for a chassis!

Goblin Graber, I did not know that you could purchase hubs from DF. Other than a wider selection of wheels to choose from, is there any benefit to a 5x114 setup?

Last edited:

Goblin Graber

Wheel selection was a big one. My donor was wrecked and everything on the right front was trash except the caliper. The other front was close to wore out. I figured the backs weren’t going to be much better, so I just got the new ones. Bonus is no ABS wires on the new hubs and I didn’t have the fight what you’ve got going on.

pisco

You will need to hit it hard enough to deform the steel. You won’t hurt anything in there smacking the absolute crap out of it. I’ve broken hammers knocking rotors and drums off. If you have an air hammer use that in multiple locations and angles. If it has no wiggle at all it is rust stuck on the hub. If it wiggles and won’t come off it’s shoes hanging up on a lip inside.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
My older Toyota's had threaded holes near the center so you could thread a couple bolts in them and work the drum off,,,, Not seeing any on those drums .

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
Awesome. I’m 254. I just noticed your log says you are in Michigan. I’m in Troy Michigan. #253 is in Clinton Twp

Stonewerks

It took us 2 weekends and a lot more blades than I would have thought to get the shell cut down small enough to fit in our little trailer and off to the scrap yard. We ended up getting $121 for the scrap metal in it. Hopefully we did not throw out anything we needed, time will tell!

On to the wiring harness and finding a replacement subframe as ours was destroyed.

Stonewerks

Since it is still getting down in the teens for temp here, we have setup in the basement to work on the wiring harness. Table is not as heavy duty as the one in the video, but hopefully it is enough to get us through our one harness.

Our fuse box took damage from our donor's crash. There is a crack at the bottom of the slot hole and something appears to be broken off the top part. Are these going to be issues later in the build to where we should start tracking down a replacement fuse box?

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
Since it is still getting down in the teens for temp here, we have setup in the basement to work on the wiring harness. Table is not as heavy duty as the one in the video, but hopefully it is enough to get us through our one harness.

Our fuse box took damage from our donor's crash. There is a crack at the bottom of the slot hole and something appears to be broken off the top part. Are these going to be issues later in the build to where we should start tracking down a replacement fuse box?
View attachment 21247

View attachment 21248

View attachment 21249
None of that is necessary, I believe I even cut off that bottom leg as it hit the transmission.

Stonewerks

@SmsDetroit - Sorry no real updates, life has gotten pretty busy so the car takes last priority.

I have been working on getting the sub frame cleaned up from all the rust on it.
Wondering how clean/polished it needs to be for either me rattle can it or having it powder coating with the frame?
Also do these tabs need to stay on for the Goblin? I think they were for the radiator on the Cobalt.