Suggestions on this doner

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
That front end is pretty smashed up. I'm sure the sub frame is tweaked on it. I'd pass but that's just me.

The ad says auto tranny so it's not a turbo. I'm not sure if you can even get a supercharged version with an auto.

Something seems screwy.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
2008 should be turbocharged. Try to check it out in person before the auction, but for me the question of too much damage kind of depends on what I could get the car for and what replacement parts costs I'd be looking at. Can't get a good sense of that without seeing more than what the listing photos show.

PHerder

The VIN states it has the LNF (turbo) motor but the listing lists an automatic which, I believe, never came with the SC or TC cars (i.e. only the manual 5 speed.)

Another reason to check it out but as the other posted, too much is damaged in the front end that you would need to replace (not to mention that the block may have gotted damaged in the wreck!) :eek:

Also the list of "BIOHAZARD/CHEMICAL" o_O

David

Thanks for the input that is what I was thinking it had to much damage I guess I will keep on looking

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
That is definitely turbocharged. In the first photo below the passenger side of the steel bumper you can see whats left of a plastic end cap of the intercooler and an air tube going back toward the engine compartment. SS/TC were available only as manuals so that must have been an error when the car was listed on Copart. On the interior photo, I'm pretty sure I can just see the large flexible boot that goes around the manual shifter.

That donor looks about as damaged if not more damaged than the SS/TC we used. It required tons of expensive new pieces (oil cooler, front cam position sensor and more). The crash also broke several wires that were kind of a pain to find. I wouldn't recommend that donor.

David

So I found a 2008 Cobalt SS . It was hit hard and pushed into the car in front of it . The motor has around only 12k on it with an lsd trans . It has a LDK block from ZZP it was purchased about 2 years ago. As of now the car doesnt start. The owner thinks the fuel pump isn't priming. The Car ran perfect before the accident. Anyway everything is for sale except for the Charge pipes and intercooler and shifter. It's has no front brakes, driver door ,both fenders ground effects front bumper cover and rear wing it and wheels in picture where changed to cheap steel wheels what do you guys think
Screenshot_20170816-220639.png
Screenshot_20170816-220537.png

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
The VIN states it has the LNF (turbo) motor but the listing lists an automatic which, I believe, never came with the SC or TC cars (i.e. only the manual 5 speed.)

Another reason to check it out but as the other posted, too much is damaged in the front end that you would need to replace (not to mention that the block may have gotted damaged in the wreck!) :eek:

Also the list of "BIOHAZARD/CHEMICAL" o_O
Out of a month of listings on Copart 95% of the manuals were listed as automatic. Just have to look at interior pics to figure out what it has don't trust the listing. Here is an example https://www.copart.com/lot/37181807

DanPerryy

I think it looks great as the donor. I don't see the accident damage as hurting anything important.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Looks good except for the "won't start" thing. That part is up to you. Having a donor that would start/drive was super important for me.

David

Yea that's what was holding me back on biding on it but I was thinking what's the worst case it has to be a fuel problem or as simple has a battery I think

DanPerryy

It was running when it had the accident - unless someone backed into it real hard;). I think it will pretty easy to get it to run again. In examining the one picture of the engine bay, at first could not figure out how the brake fluid reservoir got tweaked. In looking closer, I think the aftermarket turbo pipe from the inter-cooler to the TB munched it when the hood got reconfigured. The accident could not have done much damage to the critical parts, the grill and the the headlamp on the fuse box / ECU side is not even broken. I think for the right price this is a good one.

David

All set I'm risking it and I placed my bid let's see what happens in 2days hopefully I future goblin builder won't be bidding against me so we don't bring the bidding price up for no reason but if it does happen let the better man win or should I say let the deepest pockets win :eek:

Last edited:

David

Will do hopefully I'll win it ,I'm prepping my one car garage for this project not going to be easy working in such a small space but it should be just right

DanPerryy

Before you start to tear the donor down get it to run. This will save you a ton of time in the end.

David

No luck today I Did not win the car my high bid was 1700 it want for 2200 after all fees not including shipping it would have came out to 3100 I don't thing it's with paying that much for a salvage tittle when I might find one for 4000