Sway bar trouble

Ross

Goblin Guru
Mine did that too. I don't plan on using the sway bar on the rear of the Goblin, so I just used an angle grinder, and cut the bar below the ball joint. I still need to remove the ball joint from the strut, but I will grind it off later.

terryjr

little late but l find as long as you keep pressure on the ball, an impact will get the nut off. If they start to spin, i generally use a pry bar or flat head to pry on the link, like your tying to pop it out of the hole with the nut still on. Do let it spin excessively, it will burn out the nylon bushing. I dont like to get tools near the rubber boots of parts i plan to resuse

Anks329

I’m having the same issue with the nuts just spinning. I’m planning on getting the new coilover kit for the rear suspension. Any harm in just cutting off the bolts?

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
I’m having the same issue with the nuts just spinning. I’m planning on getting the new coilover kit for the rear suspension. Any harm in just cutting off the bolts?
Since you are getting coilover just cut the sway bar link, it's probably the easiest to cut since it is smaller than the bolt and nut.

Anks329

Thanks... Was hoping not to have to cut things off the car this early, but this is a good excuse to go buy an angle grinder :)

Acewest

So not using the stock sway bar is a good way to go? I wanna eventually use Coil overs. What y’all think?

ccannx

Goblin Guru
So not using the stock sway bar is a good way to go? I wanna eventually use Coil overs. What y’all think?
IMO you would rather have a Front swaybar with a mid engine RWD car. Rear swaybar can cause oversteer in this layout which can be dangerous.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
If using the struts in the meantime, before getting the coilovers, I would recommend using the swaybar. The 18mm bar, not the 24mm SS bar. Autocrossing, running stock springs and struts in the rear, I had massive body roll, oversteer and understeer. Unpredictable and trying to turn around backwards you every chance it got.
Ended up using the base model Cobalt swaybar and stiffer front springs. It's now a completely different animal to drive, in a good way. Predictable, and able to catch it when the rear end steps out.
I say try it and see what you think. You can always remove or install one sides endlink to try the difference with or without it, in a safe test area.
Swaybar install and removal on the car is easy. It does require the removal of the muffler.