SwerveMonkey's Street Goblin #197 - 08 Donor

SwerveMonkey

ok the shifter linkage bracket is giving me an issue...

found this video on youtube...

apparently there can be dirt that builds up into the spring for the bracket... getting the manual linkage to disconnect was simple and sorta obvious if i stop over thinking it, ha ha

Last edited:

SwerveMonkey

Day 14
skipped a day for superstitious reasons ;- D

performed a few last checks before dropping the power-train from the car body.
the manual transmission cable bracket is still in place after prying the springs back to release the cables.
the remainder of wires have been all labeled and marked for future reference [so that i am not asking "WTF was this?" LoL ]
the only hurdle that came up was not having the clearance in front of the car given the tight space i am working in...
thus I placed the car on the cribbed wheel dollies

after which there was plenty of room to use the lift... so, big shout out to Middle Island Equipment Rental for having what i needed at a GREAT price!!

the hear of the project came down with out issue and settled down on the dolly just fine

and now to move along with further work being done around the firewall...
I'm sticking with the order of the video series for the most part... but i can imagine that I will be skipping around in a way that I can pull every thing from the donor and move the shell out of the garage ASAP....

TravMac

I have so much respect for doing so much with so little space. Getting that body outside is going to make all sorts of room!

SwerveMonkey

doing much more research now since I am super busy with work and personal things going on, not a lot of time to put in the garage for a few days... the NYS registration hurdle may possibly be a challenge in Suffolk county, depending upon how much a nitpick i get in the car inspection later on....
in the mean time, for my own purpose of taking notes while @ work, a few links that I will need in the future RE NYS requirements.... of course from the three other goblins that were built before "mine" (implied completion, LoL )

Tips from BAR-AIR
wiring diagram - page 2
listing off NYS requirements listed -
Getting closer to NYS registration requirements... upper cage, emergency brake brackets, and the front bumper..... windshield, windshield wipers and padded head rests, bumpers, and emergency brake..... fender mounts.... to complete the list of required items.
So everyone in states, with more stringent DOT inspections be ready to fabricate your own parts (bumpers,windshields,wipers,catalytic converter, DOT lights) I'm getting close but still waiting on fender mounts
elegant Handbrake Solution - page 6

Tips from BRADR
A heads up RE the ABS - page 1 & separate thread

Tips from NicholasTiratsuyan
awesome examples of cup holder, handbrake, center console - page 1
NYS requires the car to have bumpers and side marker lights as well as front parking lights and blinkers. We didnt think the blinkers and parking lights on the mirrors would be enough so we added our own front lights and just used the ones on the mirrors as extra lights. Along with these we decided to add our own light which i also have on my jeep.
Swervemonkey said:
also....
I am just now discovering the awesome quotation tool

SwerveMonkey

I have so much respect for doing so much with so little space. Getting that body outside is going to make all sorts of room!
RIGHT!!! i figure when i order the kit/frame i will still have plenty of room compared to now with the donor shell taking up so much space

SwerveMonkey

So I've been a busy bee. So much in my perosnal life going on. But i was able to get back on track.

Ripped out the interior panels and cushions and began pulling the console items.

The manual shifter is in good condition albeit a bit dusty.
The shifter linkage was easy to pull with two tabs holding the cables in a bracket
The cable ends were housed in clamp sort of brackets

Sent from my android... imgur links coming soon

Last edited:

SwerveMonkey

I had a few hours to spend today pulling the wiring harness & dashboard out of the car as well as any other stray bolts/nuts i could find from the cabin.

not too many pics today, as i was without my phone most of the day but I'll leave markers to add pics later

some notes to recall for later....
  • Pulled the XM radio receiver from the roof of the car and retained that part of the wiring [imgur link]
  • the dashboard will likely be left upside down for temporary storage until i can take time to disassemble it... so far i do not thing anything negative will come of it but i have suspicions that if one has the option to clamp the heater core tubes, that is a better option than to simply cut them close to the dashboard
  • there are bonus 10mm bolts that secured the side airbags... i don't think they are in the tear-down guide, but it's nice to have extra 10mm bolts
  • the rear seat belt bolts were beefy 18mm, since those were cut in the guide i decided to salvage the bolts
  • there is also the child seat anchor bolts that may prove to be useful in the future as well
  • I was able to grab the headliner light wiring, likely will be tossed but it was something i thought could be useful later on
  • not sure if it would be useful AT ALL, but i went ahead and grabbed both the engine mount and the transmission mount to retain the bolts primarily [[EDIT:: found a forum thread which gives me the answer... no, they are not used, better to grab aftermarket for the DF is you want to upgrade more than what the lower mounts provide]]
  • I assume that the proportioning valve is not going to called for or even useful at all... but i still pulled it ;- ) maybe i can sell it
  • the rear deck speakers were salvageable... kinda. i think they are stock and maybe it would be worthwhile to find a way to weather proof them since i was able to grab the XM module and recevier

looking forward to getting the donor shell out of the garage and finally getting some room back in the garage to walk around the engine and dashboard
space is ready to get under the fuel tank and pull the rear suspension items

Last edited:

SwerveMonkey

I was able to grab the rear hubs without too much hassle, although one of the hub's bolts did not want to be free from the hub nuts
I guess i will have to douse it with PB blaster and then give it a shot to free it up

I also got the rear brake lines and the brackets to boot, not sure if they will be useful or not as i have not seen mention of them yet in the forums, still searching though
I was getting to the fuel tank finally... and found out that my donor was a trim model TC, this is a guess due to not having a serviceable fuel filter visible...

I was able to get most things ready for the tank straps to be undone, but I'm having a heck of a time with this one connector that i cant figure out
IDK if this thing is a quick disconnect or not, I tried to use the tool but to no avail. albeit I didn't force it.

if anyone knows how to pull this, please let me know. im still searching on TC models without fuel filters visible.

SwerveMonkey

On my 06 SS/SC I had to use fuel line quick disconnect tool to get a few of the lines separated.
I've got a 3/8 and 5/16 tool handy, i gave those both a shot, but maybe I should try and brush away any dirt that may have caked up in there and give it another shot... that connector is not something i have seen before :) exciting! LoL

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
On my '10 TC the fuel filter and pump are one unit. It's also mentioned in one of the links in my sig.

For those evap lines I used a set of needle nose pliers and gripped on and roughly wiggled it out. Since we register as kit cars, evap stuff isn't something you need to keep or worry about bc we don't have to go through emissions.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
I've got a 3/8 and 5/16 tool handy, i gave those both a shot, but maybe I should try and brush away any dirt that may have caked up in there and give it another shot... that connector is not something i have seen before :) exciting! LoL
Thinking back I remember finally giving up on the EVAP line on mine and just cutting the plastic hose. I used the tool to remove the fuel line quick disconnect near the motor.

SwerveMonkey

DCMoney, I will give that tool another shot with a cann of compressed air, maybe there is just grit and dirt in there that i cant get past or something
thanks man!

OptimizePrime, you have confirmed my suspicions!! I did not realize what the trim of the car was initially [doesn't matter too much to me though]
however, it is good to know what I am working with finally. good point about the emissions not needed being that it is a custom build car, still have to study up more on the other ?3? goblins in NYS. IIRC emissions is still not needed in NY.
also, sweet donor you picked up dude! shame it will get torn down in that condition, but you're turning a beast into a righteous monster ;)

Parson Green

Try pressing hard on the two purple buttons while jiggling and pulling. A quick shot of wd40 to loosen things up would probably help.

Last edited:

SwerveMonkey

alrighty... Day 18 (imgur post title helps me keep track there)
was able to overcome and defeat that suspicious fuel line fitting
sure enough it was fill of grit and sand from Long Island roads, but it come apart & the fuel tank came down!!
you can kinda see that i had to cover the fuel tank inlet hose with something before i could move it out doors.
this was a loss for me though, as i only gained a little bit of experience instead of having a part i could reuse... the fuel pump was a PZEV version and therefore is scrap essentially

all in all though I was able to get the fill pipe, and prep my custom Big Ol' Dolly so i can push this thing out of the garage

I was able to grab a few more bolts, nuts, and speed nuts from various places around the car... with it raining here constantly for the next few days... I'm reluctant to just push the car out on the road just yet...

Any suggestions on what i should salvage that may be useful but isn't something the tear down video guides cover??

I did hold onto the door hinges in case I need to fabricate some sort of pivoting part later

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I'm a bit confused. The title of your thread is "TC donor not LS" but the car in your first set of photos isn't a TC. Did I miss something?

I only ask because I have a brand-new fuel pump I'd be happy to send you if you cover shipping, but it's for a LS/SS/SC.

SwerveMonkey

I'm a bit confused. The title of your thread is "TC donor not LS" but the car in your first set of photos isn't a TC. Did I miss something?
I only ask because I have a brand-new fuel pump I'd be happy to send you if you cover shipping, but it's for a LS/SS/SC.
I should figure out a better title... maybe for the time being i should just remove the trim level until i am concrete on what it is.
I am scrambling to understand which model I have.
Thanks for calling me out on that and please let me know what else I can clarify, I'm still trying to reflect best what I am working with.
Admittedly, i think I was not really paying as much attention as I could and am bright eyed about just making it work and getting a final product. <sigh>

The seats that came in the car have SS embroidered on them, but at the same time seemed to be an LS based on what I recall the seller mentioned
then on top of all that I just finished attempting to pull the fuel tank and found that both the filter was missing [which should have been something I should have paid attention to already] and that the parts # for the tank was for a PZEV version. I'm Still learning a LOT about this model.

Last edited: