SwerveMonkey's Street Goblin #197 - 08 Donor

ccannx

Goblin Guru
We use spiral wrap at work a bit for fiber optics. Its great for organization and reentry being able to see whats in it is a huge bonus. It doesn't do much to protect the cable or wire in it from sunlight, liquids or gas. We use it in an already sealed environment like cases and closures.

SwerveMonkey

ok, this is primarily a check in post. I thinned out the main harness and now will begin organizing things... BUT,

I have an nagging feeling that somewhere along the line I might have made a mistake or snipped something I shouldn't have.
as mentioned in a previous post I have the photo to edit and label in Photoshop what comes out in the process for my own edification.

Big thanks to BAR-AIR for the notes he posted over in his own build log
&
Also a shout-out to BradR for his work in progress google docs sheet on the connectors for the Goblin harness.
I'll reference those moving forward to do sanity checks to make sure I still have all the wiring sorted.

they say this is the hardest part, as they say around my job " keep your head down and power through "

Happy New Year everyone!

SwerveMonkey

Ok... so im pretty sure i snipped the brake resvr connector...

going to solder back in then press forward with the reorganize

SwerveMonkey

Moved on to the body to dash connector labeling... found that i had cut the key lock actuator wire (B10 green/white)...

Not entirely sure i need this, ill have to research if this is mentioned anywhere or if this can be omitted. Thoughts?

Edit... also not sure where the coolant level wire is located... have to find which connector that is sourced from...

Last edited:

SwerveMonkey

so having looked a bit for a wiring harness diagram for the goblin, with no luck aside from BAR's notes [mentioned in posts 62 here]... I wanted something to really be able to pin point which connectors have what on them... thus i started a diagram of my own... <here> is the link. it is a draw.io page using flow chart software. IDK if i am re-inventing the wheel here or just edifying my own obsessiveness, albeit it may be a useful too later on.

i am finding more and more stuff that sort of deviates from the instructional video and I want to be certain of whether i screwed up or there is acutally a difference in the donor i have.

SwerveMonkey

I kinda started something similar
Yessir! thanks for starting that up, I noted your work earlier (post #62) and have been peeking at it for a couple weeks now.
my main thing at this point is trying to figure out which sorta minimal feature donor car i got lucky with :p

a couple hurdles, although minor, i have come up against in the wiring portion:
  • Donor was PZEV, so the fuel filter and fuel pump were located inside the fuel tank under the car
  • I snipped a bit too much when following the video guide (myfault, D'Oh) and missing having things labeled
  • Finding that there was a second video series that was more akin to what i was working with (again, D'Oh)

EDIT: update on wiring diagram... settled on color scheme and have gone through most of the fuse box and BCM plugs

Last edited:

SwerveMonkey

I really should check in with the guys @ DF to talk about how to approach a PZEV donor, but I have yet to hit a dead end and or the need to call out for help...

for everyone else, who has a PZEV, there is a fuel pump harness for the lowest price [i could find] online with NAPA.

Delphi tech [currently under the name "Aptiv"]
part # DFP FA10003
$17.33

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I really should check in with the guys @ DF to talk about how to approach a PZEV donor, but I have yet to hit a dead end and or the need to call out for help...

for everyone else, who has a PZEV, there is a fuel pump harness for the lowest price [i could find] online with NAPA.

Delphi tech [currently under the name "Aptiv"]
part # DFP FA10003
$17.33
That is it. I think that is the one that I used. I may of gotten it from ebay since I think mine had all grey wires on it

SwerveMonkey

so I have gotten the fuel pump soldered in and the ambient air sensor as well. both of which have excess length that can be trimmed later.
the video mentions having a light blue wire from earlier in the thinning process.... however, my light blue cable looks much lighter than what appears in the video guide... oh well... heavy gauge shouldn't be really critical i guess for a radiator fan
data wires extension has been integrated
now the data wires are extended by a tan brown pair... tn
tan-> tan
tan/brown -> brown

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
Um, heavy gauge wire is more important than the color... find any heavy wire, or cut the cord off your extension cord.
Just a thought, Mr. Fox.

SwerveMonkey

sourced new 14 gauge wire ( dark blue ) from auto parts store... [pics later]
currently trying to sort out the lighting solution associated with the brown wires...
I cannot located all the wires that are supposed to be draped over the fuse box [at work right now, so couldn't point them out]

wanted to put in this post that the color coding for the wiring diagram for the LS donor is coming along nicely...
Goblin_Main_harness.drawio

I am in the process of holding off moving forward in the harness wrapping until I can confirm each and every wire from one connection until the other...

not sure if I should push forward with the wiring harness guide and verify as I go or if I should verify evertyhing now and complete the harness after.

SwerveMonkey

Need to find out what to do with the rear lighting situation...
I have three brown wires coming from the junction in the middle of the loom, along with a yellow and a green coming from the red BCM J3 A9 & A12, respectively. the video mentions the tail lights however, I should also include a wire for the license plate lights too, havnt looked to see which spot on the plug to use yet.

There is also a green wire that is coming from the body-to-engine connector that I am not entirely sure what to do with, I havn't taken the time to track that down. I still have an EvapPump wire (pink/white) sitting in the middle of the table [ coming from the fusebox ] that I have no clue what to do with, again have not taken time to tracked down. :oops:

holding out hope that the wiring harness video series continues and the DF guys in Texas are doing ok.:confused:

also I should note i am finding differences in comparison to other cobalt wiring and many more confirmations that I am on the right track.
I'm still working out all the connection mapping for the draw.io harness map.
I feel obsessed to get this part absolutely right ;)

SwerveMonkey

Ok, so maybe im crazy for looking for wires which dont exist... the following page out of the haynes manual calls for only three wires per combo tail light... which i guess i already have lined up.

The license plate light would just be fed from the other brown lead i have already. Done and done.

SwerveMonkey

post to remind myself later....
  1. cut light blue handbrake/ground wire and extend toward fuse box with 48" addition
  2. take pics of the map i drew on the wiring table to decipher for the draw.io wire map
  3. update the wiring map from draw.io, finally completed verification with additional notes of removed connectors
  4. upload images to imgur
    • wiring table
    • poor solder joint- example of what not to do i guess...
    • body to dash wiring scheme
    • harness tape so far with my model of tesa tape
  5. get order planning sorted out, contact DF fab

SwerveMonkey

still making a little progress at a time... questions i need to answer since the second wiring harness video series has yet to be finished...

how much lead way does the brake pedal, accelerator pedal, and brake reservoir each get?
where is the forward accessory plug going to pop out?
need to find where "key Lock - B10" terminates to toward the fuse box... I snipped that prematurely early on
what can be substituted for the passenger seat harness? I have those connectors from the seat belts but not from the seat itself
where will forward accesory plug best be suited? have to find examples, dont recall in the video where they put it

SwerveMonkey

SO i think i narrowed they key lock problem down to this...
there is a brown & a green/white set of wires coming from the connector... the brown is spliced into the wire for the ignition switch...
I still need to find out where the green/white wire terminates on fuse block side of the bundle...

keywords: Key Lock - B10 green/white wire