SwerveMonkey's Street Goblin #197 - 08 Donor

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Trying to figure out how to install the parking brake cables, I have the donor cables along with the guide tubing

has there been a good way mentioned in the forums on how to remove the springs from the donor cables???

one of them I simply took an angle grinder to the spring carefully freeing the cable one spring rotation to the next
I honestly plan to replace the cables with a universal substitute prior to registration.

another reason to replace them as well, maybe... i found a crack/kink in the cable tubing near the caliper end...

this greatly concerns me and I would not trust these for actual use, for now though they serve the purpose of educational tools , ha ha
Route the cables above the shafts and such, so they are far less likely to interfere with the axles. Plus, it should make a smoother transition.

Attachments

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Took better pictures for you this morning, see how cable is mounted to rear strut bolt for mounting.
Use hose clamps to secure to 1” pipe and brake cable

Attachments

Last edited:

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Can you post a link of part# for the clamps please?
Only because you said please! LOL
SORRY THIS IS ONLY WAY I KNOW HOW TO DO IT, TAKE PICTURE AND POST THAT. As long as it gets done!
1 1/4 clamps =4 and then some small for brake cables I bought mixed box
Save money just go to home depot and get 4 - 1 1/4 clamps and 4 small for brake cable

Attachments

Last edited:

SwerveMonkey

I was able to get the spacers in the shifter assembly along with the d shaped tabs... but still puzzled with an extra couple of 1/4 washers that i don't see in any of the reference pictures I've found...

2 for the each of the gear select linkages
Four so far
Two more used on the counter pivot bolt and nut at the front of the linkage.
Six total ... what am i missing?

SwerveMonkey

I have an over abundance of precaution it seems. I've pressed on with the adjustments of the shifter and will get back to putting in the parking brake cables.

SwerveMonkey

Shifter fully installed, but not for long... working on modifying the tunnel cap to allow for the parking brake to be installed as well.
was able to get the parking cables in place, just waiting on a brake handle support plat I am having cut out to place it.

at this point I plan to cut the tunnel cap similar to hove others have split it, three parts as well as using self drilling screws to secure the cap rather than rivets

I'll add the reference matter to the stage two forum notes I have in post #161 here

SwerveMonkey

went ahead and cut up the center tunnel cover... similar to Desert S's but without added tabs, I'll likely highlight where the cuts are with more of the trim pieces akin to what DF provides for the front of the cover.

Ordered some things from amazon to streamline a few processes
Tygon 2375 Clear Hose 1/4" 6.35mm ID (Enough for all three connections at the reservoir)
3 Prong Plug Pigtail Harness for Tail Light

as well as the DF rear brake hoses for the frame to caliper connection
DF store - Braided Brake Hoses (rear only)

In The Meantime.... I'm playing around with the lighting and have the headlights as well as the side mirrors figured out for the most part
just have to decide on if I am going to simply use butt connectors or source proper plugs to match the side mirrors.

I have the head light harness from the donor for both sides, and worked in a plug connection for the headlights.
I still have an empty socket for the side marker lights and hope to save that for adding lighting to a front spoiler.

The brake handle is also being installed as I have the cables running and the tubing is in place on the sub-frame.
the rear section of the tunnel cap will need to be drilled out for the bolts and the handle will be straddled by both shifter cables on either side. I hate to admit that I should have waited to put the firewall in place until AFTER i installed the brake and shifter, but hidnsight is 20/20.

EDIT: realized after the fact I should clarify on the electrical wiring situation... will post what is connected where, with pics once i get home and can document properly.

Front
DF wiring [ solderd to ] stock headlight plug [connected to] donor headlight harness [solderd to ] custom plugs for lights

Rear
DF wiring [solderd to ] custom plugs for lights

Last edited:

SwerveMonkey

finally got around to installing the handbrake and brake line cable tubes... IDK if I screwed that up though?!?
When i installed the cables there is just way too much play available to the handbrake, and not enough on the adjustment screw to tighten the yoke for the cables.

even when pulling tight on the caliper end to set the tension in the handbrake handle, I've no idea off the cuff on how to eliminate the slack seen...any useful advice on the matter is gladly accepted

with that aside, I wired up the extensions for the side mirrors and routed the wiring.
making my extensions as follows [ mirror -> extension -> headlight harness ]

ground [ orange > black > black ]
turn [green > green > blue ]
parking [ red > yellow > brown ]

mirror side harness side

SwerveMonkey

AHA!!! thank you, it was driving me crazy, i had suspected as much.
I'll order replacements from the SS, likely via Rockauto. Thanks Lonny!

I could force the cables to fit by extending the cable route, but that only displaces the slack somewhere else and leaves the middle of the cable vulnerable.

KSLunsfo

I'll order replacements from the SS, likely via Rockauto.
I think this is what you should need if you haven't found it yet:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8576452&cc=1444463&jsn=920

I had to order a couple myself as mine were just really cracked and cruddy looking. I haven't installed yet but laying them next to the old ones they seem identical.

Ordered some things from amazon to streamline a few processes
Tygon 2375 Clear Hose 1/4" 6.35mm ID (Enough for all three connections at the reservoir)
Didn't think of clear, that could be cool when bleeding the system. I needed to look for brake/clutch line myself, may try this out also.

SwerveMonkey

Didn't think of clear, that could be cool when bleeding the system. I needed to look for brake/clutch line myself, may try this out also.
need to note that the tubing i ordered came in and the seller gyped me... it was advertised as a user specified length based on a fott per quantity ordered... but instead i get several precut 1ft lengths in individual baggies... sigh.. returning and finding a different seller, or better yet researching to see if i can buy local.

KSLunsfo

but instead i get several precut 1ft lengths in individual baggies
I glanced at the listing and did actually catch that but figured I'd look deeper for longer lengths later on.

A quick look on Mcmaster:
https://www.mcmaster.com/tubing/trade-name~tygon/system-of-measurement~inch/id~1-4/color~clear/

I didn't fully spec it out, would probably want the one listed for chemicals. I still need to research more a bit myself. I recall reading on this some a while back but not remembering the details.

SwerveMonkey

Caved and bought some typical, reliable, brake fluid rated tubing from Pegasus Auto Racing dot com

Part No.​
Description​
Qty
Shipped​
Item
Price​
Extended
Price​
3575-FOOTRemote Brake Reservoir Hose, 5/16 inch ID, per foot
6​
2.99​
17.94​

while waiting on the hose to be delivered I can continue wiring up the lighting. the front is complete aside from side marker lights, thinking of trying to retrofit amber LEDs into a projector housing. The Rear tail lights have there own pigtails on order from amazon.
4x 3 Way Prong Molded Plug Pigtail Harness for Truck Trailer Stop Turn Tail Light @ $12.87

the only thing left[What's next] is to get a hold of the parking brake cables for the SS model.

SwerveMonkey

Brake cables, reservoir hose, & steering wheel all arrived same day. I compared the two cables [old vs new] and swore up and down that the new ones looked even longer. Installed then and found that they fit.

Had difficulty getting the caliper end installed, but then figured out the trick. The parking brake cable has to be practically perpendicular to the caliper bracket that it goes into... THEN ya pull tha dang thing tight. One problem fixed.

on to installing the brake hose, nerve wrecking come to think of it. I double checked each connection point of the brake system to ensure a tight fit and everything was snug. Found a few spots i had neglected to tighten, but also afraid i may have screwed up one spot. Rear passenger rail to hose connection has a leak. I am hoping i didnt mess up the thread when i muscled it tight, but I always think of the worst case scenario.

Moving on, the clutch pedal was not getting any pressure to it so i attempted to open the clutch pedal bleeder valve on the far end of the line. Trouble there in that it's frozen stuck, with a little help from PB blaster got it loose. also i didn't realize that it was missing a retainer clip on the bleeder valve, so that advisability launched itself into the fuel tank. Had a spare retaining clip sitting on the old slave cylinder i still had lying around. Popped that in, no problem finishing the clutch pedal bleed.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru