T-12 Paraplegic SS

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I've been eyeballing goblins for some time now and I'm finally in the position to start my build. I think.

I'm a t-12 paraplegic ( jumping bikes at the sand dunes, 16 years post), and as much as I'd like to have a manual trans, they really are not practical for me. I love to come into a corner hot and throw it in a lower hole just as much as the next guy, but when you only have two functioning appendages, it's just not very fast.. So..... I need an automatic transmission.

I know that the auto trans and strength are going to be a talking point, but hoping that you guys can give me some advise. I'm looking for options and I've scoured every video and forum that I can find.

I think I'm going to need at least 250 hp to be enjoy driving the goblin based on what others are saying. It will take 13 second quarter miles to make it fun, and I like stopping fast more than I like acceleration.

Is the 2006 SS/NA with ZZ turbo set up my best option? 4 wheel disc's, some tuning ability. No vvt is a bummer, but I'm not seeing many other options for decent power and an auto trans.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jim

Ross

Goblin Guru
A 2006 SS (my donor) is a supercharged engine... so you want to convert it to a ZZP turbo?
You can get 250 hp with the supercharger - no problem. But you still need an automatic tranny.

Why not start with a 2.2 liter automatic donor, and put a turbo or supercharger on that? Wouldn't that be easier?

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
A 2006 SS (my donor) is a supercharged engine... so you want to convert it to a ZZP turbo?
You can get 250 hp with the supercharger - no problem. But you still need an automatic tranny.

Why not start with a 2.2 liter automatic donor, and put a turbo or supercharger on that? Wouldn't that be easier?
Ross, thanks for the quick reply. They also made a normally asperated SS in 2006. I believe it's the only SS/NA year. I'm looking at SS for the 4 wheel disc's. Are you aware of other years / models that would have the 4 wheel disc?

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
You don't need the 4 wheel discs, as the rear brakes from the donor are not used. You get new front disc brakes, and the donor front discs are used in the rear.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Ross, thanks for the quick reply. They also made a normally asperated SS in 2006. I believe it's the only SS/NA year. I'm looking at SS for the 4 wheel disc's. Are you aware of other years / models that would have the 4 wheel disc?
I'm not super opposed to a supercharger, however, as cool as they sound, I wonder if I might get tired of hearing the howling monster sitting a foot from my head.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
You don't need the 4 wheel discs, as the rear brakes from the donor are not used. You get new front disc brakes, and the donor front discs are used in the rear.
How did I not know that? That changes things.

I read someplace that the '06 2.4L has tougher lower end than the 2.2L and is able to contain quite a bit more HP. Do you know if that is true?

JSATX

Goblin Guru
The 07 2.4 is reported to have stronger internals.

There’s been recent discussion about fully manual control of the automatic transmission, that may be the route you’re looking for.

I’m well under 13sec quarter mile times and that’s with about 220HP

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I’m pretty sure the 2.4 was available though 08

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
There is a 2006 SS/NA available near me in incredibly good condition. Lots of parts to sell. I think it would be free with the deal I can get. Is there a benefit to a 2008 over 2006?

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I’m not sure you can tune the 06 2.4, I think you can but make double sure. You can’t tune the 06 2.2 (I think)

If you can’t that throws adding any blowers or turbos out the window, double check with ZZP for supported years/engines

lksohm

JPR added a kit to his auto trans to get manual gear selection. This may be a good route for what you are trying to accomplish.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I’m not sure you can tune the 06 2.4, I think you can but make double sure. You can’t tune the 06 2.2 (I think)

If you can’t that throws adding any blowers or turbos out the window, double check with ZZP for supported years/engines
This is what Ryan at ZZP said :

A naturally aspirated LE5 is a great engine for making power with. The automatic transmissions will be perfectly fine with 300 crank horsepower as well. If you have HPTuners we can remotely tune your vehicle. that would be the best way to handle it. We unfortunately cant say if your kits would fit on the goblin vehicles (at least the turbo kit), but a supercharger kit shouldn't have any issues with it.

JSATX

Goblin Guru

A naturally aspirated LE5 is a great engine for making power with. The automatic transmissions will be perfectly fine with 300 crank horsepower as well. If you have HPTuners we can remotely tune your vehicle. that would be the best way to handle it. We unfortunately cant say if your kits would fit on the goblin vehicles (at least the turbo kit), but a supercharger kit shouldn't have any issues with it.
Their Turbo should have no issues. There’s plenty of room
54B5E338-D9DD-4D53-8FE2-24D7BDB2AE63.jpeg

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Their Turbo should have no issues. There’s plenty of room View attachment 8791
JSATX,

Thanks for all the info. Thanks to all of you for the info. This forum is one of the reasons I've decided on the Goblin. The amount of info you guys have gathered is staggering. You guys are an awesome group, other than the fact that you've killed hours of my days sitting on my phone reading, and we want even talk about video. JJ.

JSATX, I like your build. Very clean. I was considering putting the intercooler up over the engine more toward the front, but your location is a great fit. Plumbing looks farely straight forward and simple enough. Again, clean.

I'm super excited for the manumatic. Down shifting coming into corners, oh man, I really miss that. I can't wait. I look forward to reading more on that set up. Tcc and automatic mode are still concerns, running unlocked can generate a lot of heat, especially at higher rpms.

I know this is probably a question for a different forum, but have you guys heard of any drawbacks of turbocharging a non turbo designed motor? It sounds like either the 06 or 07 2.4L has the best rods, but I'm concerned about pistons, both material and compression ratios. Generally NA is a higher stock compression ratio motor. I know some of those problems can be tuned and properly fueled out, but still a concern.

Thanks again everyone.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
You can lock and unlock the TCC according to the only guy that runs it.

The beauty of this engine platform is you aren’t turboing a non turbo designed motor. It was designed with turbo and SC in mind. Easy to find manifolds, turbos, anything to fit.

Remember GM even sold a factory kit to SC the base 2.2L engine! It was available through the dealer and kept the warranty! That’s gave me lots of confidence in boosting mine. Mine is the base 2.2 with Saab factory turbo and manifold.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru

Just remember that the kit from ZZP comes with some stuff you will not need or wont be able to use. One being the catted downpipe. Better off to piece a kit together like Justin did.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
You can lock and unlock the TCC according to the only guy that runs it.

The beauty of this engine platform is you aren’t turboing a non turbo designed motor. It was designed with turbo and SC in mind. Easy to find manifolds, turbos, anything to fit.

Remember GM even sold a factory kit to SC the base 2.2L engine! It was available through the dealer and kept the warranty! That’s gave me lots of confidence in boosting mine. Mine is the base 2.2 with Saab factory turbo and manifold.
Good point.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Just remember that the kit from ZZP comes with some stuff you will not need or wont be able to use. One being the catted downpipe. Better off to piece a kit together like Justin did.
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't taken time to study it yet, but I assumed that there will be a plethora of turbo plumbing info here as, geometrically, the Goblin is different than every SS/TC. I see that the goblin is purchased donor specific and I've seen people unboxing turbo plumbing, so figure most of that has been thought out. Assumption? Yeah, probably. JSATX's is very clean, so will undoubtably plug him for more info as the time comes.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't taken time to study it yet, but I assumed that there will be a plethora of turbo plumbing info here as, geometrically, the Goblin is different than every SS/TC. I see that the goblin is purchased donor specific and I've seen people unboxing turbo plumbing, so figure most of that has been thought out. Assumption? Yeah, probably. JSATX's is very clean, so will undoubtably plug him for more info as the time comes.
I am most likely going to go the same route he did. If I ever get a title.