T-12 Paraplegic SS

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I forgot to ask, you mention that the brakes come with the turbo goblin kit but.. I'm assuming not with the NA ? What's the difference? I order my goblin. As a SS/NA. It's FE3 suspension. It's 5 lug but not FE5.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I believe the turbo builds get all new brakes all the way around. The N/A and SC models only get rotors for the front unless you want re-drilled to 4-bolt (from 5-bolt)
If you are doing a parking / emergency brake you can get rear calipers with the parking brake built in from DF

Christopher Sanchez

I forgot to ask, you mention that the brakes come with the turbo goblin kit but.. I'm assuming not with the NA ? What's the difference? I order my goblin. As a SS/NA. It's FE3 suspension. It's 5 lug but not FE5.
I think they will include one set of calipers and rotor with the base. Do not quote me on this.. being that your 2.4 SS is probably just as scarce as the 2.0 SS there are probably a lot of small differences. I believe it’s the same suspension as the supercharged being the FE3. Whatever the differences I’m positive that adam and Lonny have it down to a science and will give you the right parts. That is a bummer with the differences with the subframes but fear that there would be many differences you’d run into along the way.. I do wonder though if the differences would interfere with mounting to the goblin frame.. ?? No matter what you decide you’re going to end up with a freakin goblin which is badass haha

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
That is a bummer with the differences with the subframes but fear that there would be many differences you’d run into along the way.. I do wonder though if the differences would interfere with mounting to the goblin frame..
In the marine engine business and gas apparatuse business, manufactures often use different part numbers for the same part when used in different assemblies. Ie a fuel pump may have a different part number when used in different motors even though they are identical parts.

Do you guys know if this happens with chevy?

In my mind, seams like I saw this happen when building a 78 Ranchero. The Ranchero and Torino were built on the same platform.

Does anyone have their engine cradle out and would you mind sending dimensions between the critical mounting points?

I'm tempted to go grab an hhr ss cradle lkq to compare.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Jim,
I took some photos and measurements of the engine cradle from my Cobalt. The measurements are taken at the mounting holes for chassis mounts in the front corners and the suspension/frame mounts in the rear corners. The photos are in a sequence based on the main photo of the cradle taken from the front. The measurements are front/left to front/right, front/right to rear/right, rear/right to rear/left, and rear/left to front/left. I also measured the diagonal from the right/rear to left/front and from the front/right to the front engine mount ears.

Please let know if you need any other measurements.
Tim

Attachments

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
The people from this forum are unlike any I have ever seen.

Tim, I can't thank you enough. I found an hhr ss cradle at the local lkq. With these dimensions, I can head over there and see what the differences are, if any.

I read somewhere on the forum that the motor on the auto trans cars are moved ahead 1 inch, in the cobalt, to allow the auto trans to lay a little flatter. I hope that's true. If it's so, then that should move the motor back in the goblin1" and all I should have to worry about is fabricating a simple 1" offset to the upper motor mount. It sound like the extra inch between the motor, tank, and frame will be welcomed. Then, as long as the LCA mount on the HHR cradle is lined up with the Goblin upper strut mount, I should be good. Right?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
If I have heard correctly, and anyone else please jump in, the motor mounts for the auto tans set up are different than the manual and are positioned for the forward offset? Someone with an auto needs to confirm this.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
In an automatic Cobalt the section of the transmission that houses the planetary gears and clutches is directly behind the engine. To gain enough clearance GM had to move the engine forward about an inch in the automatic Cobalts.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Lonny, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if you've followed this thread or not. I'm considering putting an HHR SS motor and trans in my Goblin.

So...does that leave room for the intake and charge piping between fuel tank and the engine? It will be an LNF/4T45e set up. That will put the motor an inch closer than the typical turbo cobalt set up.

Christopher Sanchez

This is why I tell everyone who asks questions about the goblin that they need to check it out for themselves and buy one! Where else are you going to get this type of community help and 3d renderings of potential fixes for ALL issues you may encounter? great stuff

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
It really is awesome. This forum is such a huge part of the product. They even help when you are trying a one off rendition of the build. Thanks so much for all the help. I really believe we can do this.

So..... a piece of 4" exaust tubing? I've been tigging for about 4 years now, only about 10lbs of filler, ( I was certified 6G, 30 years ago in a different life) and I'm confident that I can put some decent welds on this. Does the tank come coated? Will the cross member behind the seat, above the tank cause any hinderence.

Thanks again for everything.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
The tank is aluminum so the tubing will need to be aluminum also. The model I posted of the tank notch is exaggerated and not in the correct place. The filler could probably be a piece of scrap that is formed and cut.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Oh, wow, that's cool, from pics I thought it was steel. Aluminum, that's even better. I just have an 185 amp machine but still welds 1/16 aluminum fine. Inverter machines are so much more versatile than the machines of the 80's.

Are there any other things that you can think of that are going to be a wall on this project? I know there will be stumbling blocks, just don't want any walls once I get going.

These are my known issues

Instruments
Fuse box
Brakes electrical
Fan control
Steering column to rack connection
Power steering control
Turn signal switch
Accelerator sensor
Fuel tank
And... All the normal build issues.

None of these are game changer as far as I know.

Last edited:

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Well guys, I pulled the trigger. Took possession of a 09 HHR SS/TC. Still have the 06 Cobalt SS/NA, but will probably try to find the cheapest non running cobalt that I can as a secondary donor. That 06 is now my son's daily driver and it's a great little car.
I'm hoping in the $500 range.. The budget is going fast.

Our Goblin is going to be a wierd little love child.
20190821_182633.jpg

Christopher Sanchez

This is some exciting news! You’re are in uncharted territory! Now are you sure you need a cobalt donor? Ecm,tcm harness bcm all will come out of your hhr. Aside from power steering and possibly steering shaft, if you’re lucky your hubs and knuckles will work. Odometer cluster is different but shouldn’t be hard to mount.. the TC DF kit comes with intercooler kit and brakes all the way around.. you can opt to the bc coilover option for rear suspension. This is all just my own assumptions I’m sure your much more knowledgeable in the HHR parts but what parts are you expecting to need to warrant another donor? Cause TC donors get pricey especially when you’re only needing few parts. Man I cannot wait till you start stripping parts and start on this giant puzzle!!

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
This is some exciting news! You’re are in uncharted territory! Now are you sure you need a cobalt donor? Ecm,tcm harness bcm all will come out of your hhr. Aside from power steering and possibly steering shaft, if you’re lucky your hubs and knuckles will work. Odometer cluster is different but shouldn’t be hard to mount.. the TC DF kit comes with intercooler kit and brakes all the way around.. you can opt to the bc coilover option for rear suspension. This is all just my own assumptions I’m sure your much more knowledgeable in the HHR parts but what parts are you expecting to need to warrant another donor? Cause TC donors get pricey especially when you’re only needing few parts. Man I cannot wait till you start stripping parts and start on this giant puzzle!!
Chris, I have really gone back and forth on getting another donor. I don't think it would need to be an ss and it doesn't need to be running, so I think I can find one darn cheap. I'm still not committed to buying one. My thought was like yours, use the donor money and use it toward the coil overs. The junk yard will let you carry out a bunch of bolts for pennies. I've had a couple people say I will need one, if nothing else to save a bunch of trips to the salvage yard to get things I forgot about.

I'm in a wheelchair, so it was hard to look, but took my phone and shot some pics of the undercarriage. The two cars are darn similar if not the same dimensionally. Engine cradle looks the same. Not sure about the steering column and rack. The HHR SS seats look visually like cobalt seats but I'm not sure about dimensions.

The HHR gauge cluster is ugly with a capital U. I really don't want to use it, but I'm nearly positive the interface between the bcm and the cluster will be gender specific. I doubt the cobalt cluster can read the hhr data. I may wind up using some other system, be it analogue or digital.

Our stage 1 kit and hood will be in Vegas on Saturday. At the time of purchase I still wasn't sure on a donor, so I only got stage one and I didnt get any of the TC specific parts. I'm not sure I will need many of them anyway. I have a crazy idea I want to try with building a rear wing that will also be a radiator for the intercooler heat exchanger. It may still require a small radiator as well, but I'm trying to keep heat from the front of the car.

I wasn't planning on starting the build until lay September. We are still at 112 everyday and I have no desire to be in the heat. That being said, when we were checking out the HHR yesterday I figured out I ain't gonna wait a month. I'm super stocked to get this project going.

Christopher Sanchez

Chris, I have really gone back and forth on getting another donor. I don't think it would need to be an ss and it doesn't need to be running, so I think I can find one darn cheap. I'm still not committed to buying one. My thought was like yours, use the donor money and use it toward the coil overs. The junk yard will let you carry out a bunch of bolts for pennies. I've had a couple people say I will need one, if nothing else to save a bunch of trips to the salvage yard to get things I forgot about.

I'm in a wheelchair, so it was hard to look, but took my phone and shot some pics of the undercarriage. The two cars are darn similar if not the same dimensionally. Engine cradle looks the same. Not sure about the steering column and rack. The HHR SS seats look visually like cobalt seats but I'm not sure about dimensions.

The HHR gauge cluster is ugly with a capital U. I really don't want to use it, but I'm nearly positive the interface between the bcm and the cluster will be gender specific. I doubt the cobalt cluster can read the hhr data. I may wind up using some other system, be it analogue or digital.

Our stage 1 kit and hood will be in Vegas on Saturday. At the time of purchase I still wasn't sure on a donor, so I only got stage one and I didnt get any of the TC specific parts. I'm not sure I will need many of them anyway. I have a crazy idea I want to try with building a rear wing that will also be a radiator for the intercooler heat exchanger. It may still require a small radiator as well, but I'm trying to keep heat from the front of the car.

I wasn't planning on starting the build until lay September. We are still at 112 everyday and I have no desire to be in the heat. That being said, when we were checking out the HHR yesterday I figured out I ain't gonna wait a month. I'm super stocked to get this project going.
I hear you about the weather! It’s supposed to hit 107 next week here in NM. Ah I see, you’re going to add your own custom intercooler and piping. It’s fitting considering your build will be one of the more unique ones considering you’re using a different platform. You are spot on about not being able to wait another month, especially if your kit is being delivered soon. I had my donor car for one year just sitting around untouched. Two days after I picked up my kit I had my donor car completely stripped... you guys are going to have a blast. Maybe after you have the HHR stripped you will have a good idea of the parts you will need from a cobalt. Be sure to take pics of progress along for all of us following your build haha