TC No-Lift Shifting

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Question only for those with the TC LNF: The Cobalt turbo models have a no lift shifting feature that allows the throttle to be kept down while shifting, does this feature work in the Goblin? Has anyone tried it? Curious to see if using it will just haze the tires when shifting gears?

Last edited:

ccannx

Goblin Guru
That would be interesting. I've read some have used the HP tuners throttle limit in Park/neutral as a makeshift 2 step and it allowed them easier no lift shifts. It just worries me something like that could lead to premature transmission failure.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Oh yes I have. It took some time to unlearn lifting the right foot. The ECU controls the rpm’s during shift. Keeps them fairly steady where you make the shift. Really weird at first.
no issues so far.
I read some of the Cobalt forums covering this topic. Kind of all over the place. Not sure there were many knowledgeable people engaging in the discussion there.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I know it has s launch mode as well. Not sure if it needs the ABS computer in order for that to work.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Sorry, but the SC doesn't have this feature from Chevy, only the TC. I've driven the SS TC Cobalt and tried it and it seemed to hold the RPMs up to keep the engine in good boost. I would think it should work on the Goblin as long as the necessary sensors have not been disabled.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
The no lift feature just cuts off spark momentarily to allow the engine to remain in boost during shifts. I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t still work.

The launch control feature needs traction control to work. Since we no longer have ABS modules, its non-functional. All I’ve read about the launch control is that it is relatively useless to begin with. It sounds like 1st gear ECM tuning adjustment would be more effective.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
OK. I promised everyone some video. Rain stopped here in Houston finally. However, it is pretty cold - 53 degrees....... for us southern folk at least.

I was not able to go full throttle today since the tires were not grabbing well in the cold. My apologies. It was probably 70% - 80% full throttle. When warm, my traction is right at the full accel point depending on the road surface.

It takes some serious mental re-wiring to NOT lift the right foot on a shift. I think the tech guys at GM did a pretty good job incorporating this feature. I do not normally use it unless I am full on trying to put someone in the rearview mirror.

Hope you all enjoy these short videos.
:)

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Jason, thanks for the videos, makes it much easier to understand that the no-Lift shifting feature works really well. Sounds like and appears the turbo stays nicely in the fat part of boost during the shift with no excessive over-revving from the loud pedal being closer to the floor. Greatly appreciate you taking the time to do this. :D

Indy Lonnie

It takes some serious mental re-wiring to NOT lift the right foot on a shift. I think the tech guys at GM did a pretty good job incorporating this feature. I do not normally use it unless I am full on trying to put someone in the rearview mirror.
It is definitely not a natural way to shift after all these years...

Good to see you enjoying your Goblin!

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Jason, thanks for the videos, makes it much easier to understand that the no-Lift shifting feature works really well. Sounds like and appears the turbo stays nicely in the fat part of boost during the shift with no excessive over-revving from the loud pedal being closer to the floor. Greatly appreciate you taking the time to do this. :D
There may be a few miles between us Goblin guys, but really just friends we have not gotten to shake hands with yet. :)

Lonnie: Oh yes enjoying it!!!
You gotta keep me in the loop of any upgrades you might do. I just may follow in your footprints a little further.... ;)

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Is the injector tick on the LNF that loud or is the video making it sound worse than it is?

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Is the injector tick on the LNF that loud or is the video making it sound worse than it is?
Mine is pretty loud, for sure.

So, if I am understanding this thread correctly, those of us with TC's don't need to let off the gas to clutch and shift gears?

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Mine is pretty loud, for sure.

So, if I am understanding this thread correctly, those of us with TC's don't need to let off the gas to clutch and shift gears?
Jeremy: Yes, sir. No lift shift. Amazing what you can do when the computer is controlling most of the engine parameters. ;)

Fozda: Yep, noticeable. I am used to it now and do not really notice it anymore.
When I was inspecting my donor, I thought a timing chain was going bad. I called Adam and he kind of laughed as I held the phone to the engine. "Normal" noises are not so normal to everyone else, I guess.

jaredthenav

My ATS-V has this feature as well. It took a few drives to get used to it, and I still have to occasionally fight my instinct, but its a cool feature.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Those 2-3 tenths make a difference when you're stomping some punk in a rice burner or that jerk with more money than brains in his 'supercar'. :p

Last edited: