TC No-Lift Shifting

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
That is really cool. I'm jealous that us SC models can't do that.

Very impressed with how well it holds the RPM also.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
That is really cool. I'm jealous that us SC models can't do that.

Very impressed with how well it holds the RPM also.
It's really not necessary in an SC application though. It doesn't help shift any faster, it's for keeping the turbo spooled when changing gears. We don't have to worry about that cause superchargers don't have boost lag.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
It's really not necessary in an SC application though. It doesn't help shift any faster, it's for keeping the turbo spooled when changing gears. We don't have to worry about that cause superchargers don't have boost lag.
Understood and agree. Yeah for SC! But if they have that feature, I want it too! Lol.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Is it odd that they list the Chevy Cobalt 2.0 SS TC as a car they have installed it on? Turbo charged Cobalts already have this.
I can't imagine this does anything better than the factory no-lift shift, but it may still be useful for 2-step launch control.

Im not sure how factory launch control works without the Cobalt wheel speed sensors and ABS module. You're for sure not going to get the traction control portion of factory launch control. I know factory launch control includes a lower rev limiter while stopped with the clutch depressed, but I'm not sure how. If it's just a fuel cut, then the wotbox should also help build boost for launches.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Traction control is under your right foot! :p Just need to spend the time driving at the limit (safely in a controlled environment) to learn where the traction limits are.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Next question - this is for all types, NA, SC and TC, but specifically aimed at the manual transmission - if you left foot brake while still into the gas, does the engine nanny retard the throttle? Asking if mid-corner or course correction using the brake limits or kills the throttle response.

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
Im not sure if my ss/tc daily driver is broken, but I can not, for the life of me, grab a fast 2nd gear. Its like Im being locked out, even with competition mode on.

Ross

Goblin Guru
When the synchros in the transmission start wearing out, then you can't grab the next gear at high RPM. Lower RPM will let you shift, high RPM requires new synchros. 1 to 2nd shift is usually the first synchro to wear down.

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
In the cobalt, if you press the traction button twice I beleive the dash readout says competition or competitive mode. I could be wrong. Yes, it is part pf Launch Control and No-lift shift.

It does make sense on the synchros. I had an SC Thinderbird that had destroyed synchros and it would grind all the time.

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
In the cobalt, if you press the traction button twice I beleive the dash readout says competition or competitive mode. I could be wrong. Yes, it is part pf Launch Control and No-lift shift.

It does make sense on the synchros. I had an SC Thinderbird that had destroyed synchros and it would grind all the time.
I believe you need the ABS system for this function and with no ABS in the Goblin 'competition mode' is probably not enabled. Give it a try and tell us what you find out.