[TC TUNE GUIDE #1] HPTuners; Goblin Basic Settings

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
OK, in this section I plan on going tab by tab and calling out tables I modified to account for Goblin specific items (ex. No cats) and set you up for TC Tune Guide #2. Some of the changes were purely based on what I found on the internet and tried on my side and it made a positive impact, how it works is another story. I'm not going to touch on every table, just those where edits are needed and don't have their own guide. Let's get started:

I have Stage 2 cams and ported head which I've read others are having idle surge or hunting issues with, if you have these problems your MAF is not dialed in correctly (see tune guide #2). I can sit all day at 800rpms - Base AC off is the same as Base AC on

Airflow > General
Only use these values if you have the GM 3 Bar map sensors. Honestly, if you don't have the map sensors you should stop right here and install them first. The MAF Calibration & MAF Correction tables are talked about in the Fuel trims guide

Airflow > Turbocharger -- this tab will have it's own guide

Exhaust > Catalyst

Fuel > Power Enrichment
This one you're going to play around with a little bit based on your logged afr's but this is a good baseline

Fuel > Temperature Control
All 1's

Fuel > Cutoff, DFCO
If you have stock springs / retainers just put everything to 7,200 rpms

Spark > Advance
IAT / ECT should all be 0. We will get into the timing tables (Base / MBT) in their own guide.

Torque Model > Optimum Torque
You can play around with this one but this setup runs well for me

Optimum Torque > Torque to Load - will have it's own guide

Torque Management > General

% vs RPM vs Gear - This is where you'll modify the sensitivity of first gear to your liking, the rest should be 100

Torque Limit

Max Torque

Max airload torque

Load Dampening

SC / TC Boost Control > Proportional Max
If you don't have Opel injectors, do not change anything else

Speedo > Calibration
Calculate your VSS Pulses here for your tire size: https://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/speedometer-vs-vss-pulses-mile.2503/

Go here next!

Last edited:

Lando217

This will be a Huge help when my HP Tuners comes in. Thank you so much for taking your time to write the up! Makes me feel more comfortable attacking tuning on this goblin. Great baseline from where i can go!

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
This will be a Huge help when my HP Tuners comes in. Thank you so much for taking your time to write the up! Makes me feel more comfortable attacking tuning on this goblin. Great baseline from where i can go!
Yea no worries! I'd encourage you to make a Tune log of sorts and we can work through it as a make-shift remote tune (free of charge!). It'll help you and others along the way ;)

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
"We will get into the timing tables (Base / MBT) in their own guide."

Any chance we will have a part 3? I'm reading up and getting ready to start tuning for the first time. I understand the basics of tuning, but this is a big help on where things are actually located in HP Tuners and what values are reasonable for our cars.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
"We will get into the timing tables (Base / MBT) in their own guide."

Any chance we will have a part 3? I'm reading up and getting ready to start tuning for the first time. I understand the basics of tuning, but this is a big help on where things are actually located in HP Tuners and what values are reasonable for our cars.
I absolutely will, been battling other things recently but writing this is achievable in the near future. It's worth the wait as LNF treats timing in a way I wasn't expecting.

For the time being get your trims in line and bump boost to 22-23psi on the stock K04 with no real knock at wot from 3k to redline using the stock timing tables.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Thanks, I hope the weather cooperates enough to start tuning this weekend.

Am I missing something, or does the Wide Band not really get used in the fuel /air tuning? Is this because the fuel trims can't be turned off like they can in most other ECUs?

Ross

Goblin Guru
The wideband is the main sensor used to tune the air/fuel mixture. The stock knock sensor is used for engine spark timing.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
Your LTFT can be turned off by removing the evap plug on your intake manifold. I haven't noticed any real difference in the butt dyno or in the logs whether this plug is in or not.

The wideband that's getting used is in your o2 right off the turbo. The second one isn't. This wideband location is pretty terrible when you start pushing limits and it's common for the sensor to go bad. I'm thinking mine is as it's flatlining ~14 at WOT even though I know that's not the case. I installed an AEM wideband further down the path and will be using that going forward. That being said, I think the stock WB is used more as a safeguard and error differencing as opposed to it being a direct driver. So as long as you're not knocking you can run 14af all day without the car falling on it's face - as soon as you start knocking it'll come into play

This is how you can have two separate wb's reading two different numbers > tune for the AEM (in my case) > and the car respond favorably even though the stock one is acting up. Then again I'm making an assumption that could be totally wrong.

Edit: For clarity, dialing in your fuel trims is more about MAF tuning (which is a dance between your maf, timing, little wb) than it is WOT tuning. Closed loop vs open loop. What I rambled on above is open loop wot tuning

Last edited:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I guess I didn't ask my question very well and really is directed to the part 2 post. I thought most vehicles MAF tuning is done by turning off the fuel adjustments and reading directly off the AFR error between the Ratio commanded and Ratio actual from the wide band. For the LNF we add the long term and short term trims to do this. I understand it's doing the same thing in the end but why can't we do it directly with the AFR error?

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
I'm thinking it's bc what's baked into the LTFT and STFT is a more comprehensive story than just taking the AFRs which kinda circles back to open loop vs closed