TC Vacuum tank?

Stretch2126

So before I get too caught up in stripping the car, are you guys keeping the vacuum tank on the turbo cars or doing the delete and plugs that the cobalts sometimes do? I know the solstice gxp doesn’t have the tank but the cobalt does but wasn’t sure if it would help or hurt.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Neither the "replacement" motor that was in my donor or the new ATK long block I bought had the vacuum tank. Doesn't seem to be a problem.

Stretch2126

That’s what I was thinking. I saw where DS said his actually spooled faster without and that interested me. Also I heard they can crack and just be another leak to run into later. I’m new to turbo stuff so I’m hoping the disassembly will teach me something.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Just another data point. I kept mine. No issues so far.

Stretch, are you saying you believe the turbo spools faster without it? Someone have a theory here?

Stretch2126

I’m just saying I’ve read on cobalt forums and I saw somewhere on here that DS said it spools faster. I don’t have any real proof so I’m not making a claim. I was just curious and wanted input from you guys that had finished cars.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I found a post on CobaltSS.net that copied a GM Tech Bulletin that stated the purpose of the tank was to reduce compressor surge by providing an instant source of vacuum to the bypass valve.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I found a post on CobaltSS.net that copied a GM Tech Bulletin that stated the purpose of the tank was to reduce compressor surge by providing an instant source of vacuum to the bypass valve.
OK. If I am understanding that correctly, the "surge" being attenuated would be at the end of the needed boost when the bypass valve is about to actuate. That would not affect the beginning phase of the spool up.
Yes, or no?

Stretch2126

I guess that could help with longevity of the turbo. Maybe I’ll make an experiment with it in the goblin.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
OK. If I am understanding that correctly, the "surge" being attenuated would be at the end of the needed boost when the bypass valve is about to actuate. That would not affect the beginning phase of the spool up.
Yes, or no?
This was part of a long chain of discussion that had no real answer. Some of the people that had done it swore it got rid of lag and others saying it was impossible. I'm not sure how having a reservoir of vacuum would decrease lag. Some thought that having the tank was supposed to help the No Lift Shifting.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
This was part of a long chain of discussion that had no real answer. Some of the people that had done it swore it got rid of lag and others saying it was impossible. I'm not sure how having a reservoir of vacuum would decrease lag. Some thought that having the tank was supposed to help the No Lift Shifting.
Hmmmm. Interesting.
Seems to work pretty well with it. :)