Tennessee Legislation

Silverback

55-1-124. "Custom-built car" defined.
*** Current through the 2015 Regular Session ***

Title 55 Motor and Other Vehicles
Chapter 1 Motor Vehicle Title and Registration Law -- Definitions

Tenn. Code Ann. § 55-1-124 (2015)

"Custom-built car" means a motor vehicle that is built for private use and is not constructed by a licensed manufacturer or re-manufacturer.

HISTORY: Acts 2008, ch. 765, § 1.

https://www.tn.gov/lawsandpolicies/article/55-1-124.-custom-built-car-defined

55-1-106. "Essential parts," "reconstructed vehicle" and "specially constructed vehicle" defined.

*** Current through the 2015 Regular Session ***

Chapter 1 Motor Vehicle Title and Registration Law -- Definitions

Tenn. Code Ann. § 55-1-106 (2015)

(a) "Essential parts" means all integral and body parts of a vehicle of a type required to be registered hereunder, the removal, alteration, or substitution of which would tend to conceal the identity of the vehicle or substantially alter its appearance, model, type, or mode of operation.

(b) "Reconstructed vehicle" means every vehicle of a type required to be registered hereunder materially altered from its original construction by the removal, addition, or substitution of essential parts, new or used.

(c) "Specially constructed vehicle" means every vehicle of a type required to be registered hereunder not originally constructed under a distinctive name, make, model, or type by a generally recognized manufacturer of vehicles and not materially altered from its original construction.

https://www.tn.gov/lawsandpolicies/article/55-1-106.-essential-parts-reconstructed-vehicle-and-specially-constructed-v

55-3-104. Application for certificate of title for specially constructed, reconstructed or foreign vehicles.
*** Current through the 2015 Regular Session and amendments approved at the November 4, 2014 General Election ***

Chapter 3 Certificates of Title
Part 1 General Provisions

Tenn. Code Ann. § 55-3-104 (2015)

(a) In the event a vehicle for which an application for a certificate of title is made is a specially constructed, reconstructed or foreign vehicle, this fact shall be stated in the application and with reference to every foreign vehicle that has been registered outside of this state, the owner shall surrender to the county clerk receiving the application all registration plates, registration cards, certificates of title, and other evidence of foreign registration and ownership as may be in the possession or under the control of the owner.

(b) Any foreign certificate of title shall be accepted as evidence of title by the department to the same extent as a certificate of title issued by the department; provided, that when the foreign vehicle is registered in a jurisdiction that does not have a certificate of title law, the department shall accept only a notarized bill of sale, and proper foreign registration as the evidence of title. If foreign registration is dated less than ninety (90) days prior to application for a certificate of title, there shall be, in addition, the next past bill of sale showing ownership to have been transferred to the party seeking to sell the same, or that party's representative, which bill of sale shall likewise be notarized.

HISTORY: Acts 1951, ch. 70, § 30 (Williams, § 5538.130); Acts 1957, ch. 390, § 1; impl. am. Acts 1978, ch. 934, §§ 22, 36; modified; T.C.A. (orig. ed.), § 59-304; Acts 2007, ch. 484, § 14.

https://www.tn.gov/lawsandpolicies/article/55-3-104.-application-for-certificate-of-title-for-specially-constructed-re

Last edited:

SliderR1

David - I've read the TCA and what you posted above. Do you think they will want the title from the donor car? I've not contacted the county clerk to discuss yet. I was hoping the certificate of origin from DF would be enough. Have you had any conversations with your local clerk about it yet?

Silverback

David - I've read the TCA and what you posted above. Do you think they will want the title from the donor car?...
I haven't made contact with state officials yet, since I d0 not want to start getting NO to questions I don't need to ask ;) From what I've read, you need to prove legal sources for just the principal components. My take on it is that you're not using the unibody, so it's not reconstructed vehicle. Titling the Goblin as a never-before titled replica is probably the easiest route:

Here's the verbiage on titling as a replica:

55-3-130. Title to replica model custom-built car.

Title to a custom-built car for which no certificate of title has ever been issued by the division may be titled as the make, model and year of the manufactured motor vehicle that the custom-built car most closely resembles; provided, however, that the car is intended to replicate the make, model and year of the manufactured vehicle; and provided further, that the title clearly identifies the custom-built car as a replica.

HISTORY: Acts 2008, ch. 765, § 2; T.C.A. 55-3-140.

For more, check out Title 55, Chapter 3 in the Tennessee Motor Vehicle code:
http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/tncode/

Last edited:

SliderR1

I agree completely about getting "NO" to questions that don't need to be asked! One reason I am also hesitant to start questioning them.

So based on the verbiage in 55-3-130, I interpret that to mean that I should fill the application for title out as:

Make: Lotus
Model: Seven
Year: 196? (Not for sure which year to use here...)
Body: Replica

It just seems odd that this 2017 will be titled as a 1960s car. I'm curious if someone would be willing to post a picture of what the Certificate of Origin from DF looks like - think this might answer some questions.

I'm also curious about how to fill out the mileage entry. Since all our car's odometers will show mileage... Seems to contradict 55-3-130 as the dash was part of a previously titled car... Perhaps 0, but with odometer discrepancy checked?? that will probably open a can of worms...

Silverback

I've read of a MSO for a 1957 Lotus 7 replica. Someone might want to PM you about that.

As far as mileage goes - at least on a 2010 SS - the BCM (not cluster) stores the odometer mileage and can be reset to show zero or very low miles for a new replica with a new MSO. After all, the cluster it is just a display and the BCM is just a computer. Both are replaceable parts, not the entire car. A reset is probably best left to someone with experience with such things. YMMV

Last edited:

Silverback

I may be wrong, but the crucial pieces of documentation for a Tennessee 'replica' title appear to be the MSO and proof that you are the rightful owner of the engine.

SliderR1

I got my Goblin titled and registered yesterday in Washington County, TN. What worked for me may or may not work for you depending on the Clerk's office. The first place I called wanted me to fill out a TN certificate of ownership - which is ludicrous when I'm in possession of a Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin. TN's COO document is to prove you own whatever it is you are trying to title. So I called Nashville's BMV call center to see if I could get some more information. Again, I was told I needed to fill out the same COO application. I really don't think they were grasping what I was asking for.

I called the last local office in my County and explained to the very polite lady that answered the phone what I was trying to accomplish. She instructed me to bring the MCO, all the invoices, and a check. I walked in and handed her the documents and she proceeded to load all the information into the system. She had to input the Make as Replica, the rest of the entries were entered exactly as they appeared on the MCO, including the serial number. I informed her that this was a replica of a 1957 Lotus Seven. I don't know if she added anything into the system about that or not. I paid the tax on the invoice amount and she handed me my registration and plate and said the title would be arriving within 7-10 days. Until the title is in my possession, I guess there is a chance for a hiccup, but we'll just have to see. My registration shows the car as a "2018 Replica Goblin Roadster"

This whole story pretty much sums up every experience I've ever had with the BMV that is not a 'standard' transaction. If you can find an employee that is willing to help and not complicate things - the process is so much smoother.

Silverback

You're a lucky guy Jaret. Are you going to the Cobalt Nation gathering at the Dragon Oct 27, 2018? Lonny & Adam went the past two years, it must have been a blast. I may be running by then, but I'll be out of state.

SliderR1

I'm close enough that I'd hate to miss it, but I don't have definite plans to be there right now. If it works out and I can make it, I will go.

moto1

Just an update to registering in (eastern) TN. I have a Westfield SEIW from 2001 that is a completed car minus the engine, but was never registerd or titled (No MSO either). I filled out the Certificate Of Ownership (COO) that I downloaded and printed. I took that in to the local motor vehicle (County Clerk) to start my process to get a title. They asked for a photo of the VIN number, which I had on my phone, and they had me email that to the clerk that is helping me. She printed that out and typed a bit more... then looked up at me and said "would you like regular plates for that?". Shocked, I replied "yes", and she said "that will be $...!". I quickly wrote out a check and was handed my registration, plates, and temporary title and walked out. Less then 5 min. in motor vehicles and a title in less then a week! I'm sure it would not be this simple in many other states, or even in larger counties, but I'm happy I avoided the nightmare that I was prepared for. BTW, Since this is a "replica" of a Lotus seven, I filled out the COO as a 1964 Lotus Seven, since the appearance is similar and had photos if I was asked. The COO is for a vehicle that is over 30 years old (1964 replica worked), or valued at less than $3,000. You may still be legally liable if you do not do this title correctly so I did my due diligence researching the original VIN number.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
"Replica" cars tend to be easier to register that the Goblin, although some have registered their Goblin as a Lotus replica.

moto1

I felt that they really didn’t care what I called it, as long as it fell into one of the three categories. The third, which I didn’t mention was that if the value was more than $3k and less than 30 years old that you must obtain a bond for the value. The bond was using statements from two TN property owners (in brief), which would have been my next option but wasn’t necessary.

Last edited: